PDA

View Full Version : Remington Model 7 in .223, accurate rifle ?

ATeaM
June 12, 2001, 03:04 AM
Hey folks, any of you own a Rem. model 7 in .223 ? I'm considering this rifle, wanted to know how it carried in the field and whether accuracy was acceptable. What else out there should be looking at ?

PJR
June 12, 2001, 06:48 AM
I owned a Remington Model 7 in .223 that I used for predator control and walk around varminting on my country property. It was about as handy and well handling rifle as I've every owned. It's bench accuracy was 1.5" three shot groups with most factory ammo and maybe 1.25" with reloads. A little work by the gunsmith to tune and bed the action shrunk the groups an additional half inch. Not benchrest accuracy to be sure but certainly respectable from a light-barreled rifle. The light barrel meant that long strings would heat the barrel and expand groups accordingly. The best groups were shot when the barrel had a chance to cool.

But where the rifle excelled was in practical accuracy. It just felt great in my hands and with a 2x-7x scope on top it performed well in its assigned duties. I parted with the rifle when circumstances changed and did not feel comfortable having a loaded rifle around the place. Had the Model 7 come with a five shot detachable mag I would still have it. Now I keep a Sako Model 75 around with a mag either in my pocket or nearby.

ATeaM
June 12, 2001, 06:50 PM
Is the Sako/Tikka the same size dimensions as the Rem 7 ? Do they come with sites ?

Thanks for responding.

PJR
June 12, 2001, 09:56 PM
ATeaM:

I've both a Sako in .223 and a Tikka. Both are heavier than the Remington with longer barrels. Neither of the rifles that I owned had sights although I believe Tikka models can be had with sights.

If you are looking for a .223 with sights that is lighter the CZ 527 fits that bill. I also owned one of them during my rifle buying and trading phase and while I liked the rifle it didn't suit me as well as the Sako. Between the Remington and the CZ I would go with Remington.