PDA

View Full Version : Flaws in M40???

CarbineKid
June 11, 2001, 09:56 PM
I just recently picked up my NIB Steyr M40 serial number 007XXX. I am so happy, the gun fits my hand like a glove. Everything seems to be great with the gun, and the finish is excellent(I have not shot it yet, but I plan to do so soon.). I was just told that Steyr M40s with a serial number under 10,000 have some MAJOR flaws in them. Is this true, did I buy a lemon?? What is wrong with the pistols under 10,000???
Please Help....my excitment has turned to anguish, and dissappointment.
Thanks

orlando5
June 11, 2001, 11:15 PM
Here is their website. You should email them to find out.

http://www.steyr-mannlicher.com/

CarbineKid
June 12, 2001, 10:59 AM
I called GSI today, and i will have to send the pistol in for a free trigger upgrade. The cool part is they will give me a $35 gift certificate and they pay for return shipping!!! Now I wonder what else I should have them check out and replace...any ideas?
Thanks

skevlar
June 12, 2001, 04:36 PM
Have had an M40 for well over a year with a ser. # in the 1,300's. It had a nice trigger before the modifications that is just that much nicer now. When it was into GSI they did all the mods. like beveling the edge's of the ejection port, extractor, etc. You can call and ask their "Smith, Herbert, about same.
Mine's never missed a beat. Be advised however, that they are built much "tighter" than Glocks and won't run "dry" {of Lube} when heated up from firing. See also the Steyr Forum for some good threads/links of the "M" in hard use, etc. @ www.unitedforums.com

CarbineKid
June 13, 2001, 09:51 PM
Skevlar
I appreciate the information. I have another question for you....when they beveled the gun, did it mess up the finish, or did they re-blue it???
Thanks

twoblink
June 14, 2001, 02:15 AM
The breach is opened up to 45 degrees, the extractor is corrected so the shells don't land in your face, the trigger job.

That's all I can remember...

The tolerance is tight, keep it clean, and it will serve you well. I love mine!

I have a #10000+.. Shoots like a dream...
Albert

skevlar
June 17, 2001, 01:10 PM
Kid, You can see minimal difference in finish but really have to look for same. If this M40 came as new personally would never have noticed it. Skev

jquinteroqs
July 6, 2001, 12:34 PM
:) It works well and Feel more confortable than the G27 .