PDA

View Full Version : Kahr P9 - slide lock problem fixed ?

Silver Bullet
June 8, 2001, 06:08 PM
I've seen a lot of message a while back about problems with the slide lock assembly on the Kahr P9. Does anyone know if this has been fixed, either with a design change or a change in the assembly ?

I haven't seen any messages about this recently, and my local dealer says they've had no problems with the guns they've sold.

I e-mailed Kahr and asked them, but I received no reply.

thanks

Monty
June 8, 2001, 11:24 PM
I had this problem with mine, sent it back, came back perfect so my bet is the guns leaving the factory now don't have this problem. Kahr is a good company, if you have a problem, they'll make it right. My bet is you won't.

dinosaur
June 9, 2001, 05:24 AM
The later ones have been corrected. My P9 won`t lock back with the Pro Mags I have
but they work fine on MK9.:confused: Go figure.

Silver Bullet
June 9, 2001, 11:25 AM
Thanks for your replies. I've also heard great things about the service department. It was the sales department that didn't answer my e-mail.

I bit the bullet (so to speak) and went out and got one from a local dealer.

Onslaught
June 9, 2001, 01:02 PM
SB,

Follow your owner's manual for disassembly instructions. Under the slide stop, left side, there should be a small black screw. If there is not, your pistol does not have the "upgrade" and if it were me, I'd send it back pre-emptively to avoid any problems. If you've got the screw, you're up-to-date.

One thing not mentioned often, was that in addition to the possiblity of the "slide lock" problem, that same issue could later lead to light strikes and striker failure due to some part slipping out of place. The screw cures that too.

Bart Noir
June 9, 2001, 04:08 PM
Onslaught is right about needing to disassemble it, but don't follow the manual exactly! It's wrong. The diagram shows the wrong parts lined up, as the slide is held back. Just line up those two almost-not-noticable marks, on slide and frame. And yeah, mine needs to go back to the factory for the fix. It locks back every few shots, with +P ammo.
Bart Noir
"In some cultures what I do would be considered normal."

Silver Bullet
June 10, 2001, 02:15 PM
What a great resource this forum is. In the early 90s I used to read CompuServe's firearms forum. It was excellent: very informative, I learned a lot. Eventually I dropped CompuServe and looked around for something similar on the web. The sites I found were either getting very little inputs or the posters were doing too much posturing.

I found this site a few months ago in a message post on Free Republic. This is terrific: lots of intelligent and informed commentary, nicely organized and well moderated.

In addition to the information, it provides a sort of collective awareness and consciousness of the political forces of darkness who would try and take away our rights and freedoms.

We have the numbers, we have the winning hand; we just have to counter the media's attempts to demonize us. Don't be bluffed.

Sorry to ramble; I'm just so glad to be here.

o-town
June 11, 2001, 12:03 PM
My P9 dosen't have any slide lock back problems. I bought it LNIB, so I'm not sure exactly when it was made, but it seems to have the black screw. However, I do have failure to feed problems, but I've only put 60 rounds throgh the pistol so far. It seems to get better with every magazine, and I don't think anywhere near 200 shots (the break-in period) have been put through this pistol

Onslaught
June 11, 2001, 03:06 PM
Please remember though, not everyone with the "unedited" Kahr had slide lockback probs. I never did. In fact, most owners DIDN'T have the problem.

The more important reason to MAKE SURE your P9 has the little black screw under the slide-stop lever is that, later on down the road, some part can come loose, and the trigger bar will stop connecting with the striker, or something. That's what finally happened with mine. But, my Kahr got "screwed", and it works like a charm!