PDA

View Full Version : SHTF what do you grab LRPR or Battle rifle

bullfrog99
June 6, 2001, 11:01 PM
I'm trying to decide what would be the more logical choice in a situation where all your frendlies are foes, and you you will not be re-supplied with ammo, a LRPR set up for accuracy, or a battle rifle for max firepower(Assault rifle are full auto despite what the Klintonite crowd says) ON the one hand, you will have a gun capable of taking on aggressors at long range, with easy one shot takedowns(pending personal accuracy) on the other, if two or more people with max firepower guns get within sixty yards of you and know where you are you are pretty much SOL, as one will keep you pinned down while the other circles and frags you. The battle rifle will ballance out the short range, having the ability to keep a few heads down while you bug out, but it lacks the long range accuracy, loosing that sure kill at the other end of the glass. Carying both would be excessive, And this is asuming your on your own, no spotters with 16's.

Q-Man
June 7, 2001, 01:19 AM
I would hope that I could "bug out" with a couple friends and so we could use the best of both worlds. Otherwise, I think an accurized M1A could be both a precision shooter and a battle rifle if absolutely necessary. I think minimizing all hostile contact until in a properly formed militia or resistance group would be a must.

LoneStranger
June 7, 2001, 01:24 AM
Take the LRPR and do not shoot. Crawl with your best speed to the nearest exit and do your best to draw no attention to yourself. Lone man by himself is going to do nothing but get himself in extremely deep doo-doo.
Your first order of business after getting thru exit is see if you can find some friends.

PreserveFreedom
June 7, 2001, 02:41 AM
I'd like to believe I could take both, but if not, I would take the LRPR. If I got ambushed at close range, I would have to rely on my pistol.

Hard Ball
June 7, 2001, 05:56 AM
A good compromise might be an M1A with a good telescopic sight.

XXSUPO
June 7, 2001, 06:35 AM
your best bet would be something that you can hide as you quietly make your way to friendly territory. the madmax idea that you are going to take on a group and win is foolish. radio communications even w/ cellphones would certainly exist and the enemy would have massive firepower brought down on your position within min's.
as far as long distance sniping of enemys goes you would be exposing your position by firing and again the calvary would destroy your position. in an all out SHTF senariro your best bet is to conceal, move at night, avoid large groups move to the most rural area possible.
as always if you do not intend to ever have available ammo and spare parts you should consider a weapon in 12 ga. 308, or 223. an AR is always a good choice so is a robust bolt gun that you can depend on not to break or has simple parts.
a ruger #1 in 308 w/ iron sights would be my choice as it would force me to make each shot count and force ammo conservation. it is also short duet to a lack of moving aciton.

ronin308
June 7, 2001, 03:16 PM
I would take a LRPR. If I were in all alone with no friendlies...I would try to do what LoneStranger said and not shoot but hide. If I had no chance of being resupplied I wouldn't want to keep ripping through 20 round magazines through a battle rifle.

Dan

Different
June 7, 2001, 04:17 PM
A finely tuned standard barrel synthetic stock M1A is the ticket IMHO. You CAN hit targets all day long at 600 yards from a kneeling position using an M1A with iron sights and military surplus FMJ. You just need to accurize the M1A like Q-Man wrote and you are good to go.

Schmit
June 7, 2001, 05:05 PM
Looking over my inventory I would grab the following.....

Eagle Drag Bag (has shoulder straps)
Accuracy International AWP
Colt Match AR w/Handle, .22 LR Conversion and Suppressor
Gunsite GSP .45
.22LR (500 rds).45 (60 rds), .223 (X00 rds), .308 (100 rds)
Camp Knife & Skinning Knife
MREs (6 - 12)
Firestarter (Magnizium, Flint on Cocobolo block with steal)
1 Qt Canteen

Drag Bag would go on my back with AWP, Ammo, .22LR Conversion, Canteen and the MREs.

GSP on my Right Hip, Knives on my left.

AR would be in my hands.

Carrying the above would not be excessive! With the above I can move quickly out of the area and have the tools needed to servive for a extended period of time while also having defensive assests that will handle any situation I may encounter that I can't avoid. Movement would definately be in a full E&E Mode.

Bob Locke
June 7, 2001, 08:14 PM
I've found that I can pretty comfortably carry my AR-15 along with five magazines and a couple hundred rounds of ammo in its soft-side case slung over my shoulder, and my G21 on one hip with extra mags and ammo stowed on the other and in my pack.

Personally, I'd rather not choose! :D