PDA

View Full Version : Trapshooting....a gun position question..

Lavan
June 4, 2001, 04:52 PM
One of the guys at my club (who does very well) points his gun at the top of the target's path.
He then just moves the gun sideways to wherever the bird is heading.
Is this a good thing to try? Or just something that one guy has got good at?

Dave McC
June 4, 2001, 06:59 PM
Spot shooting requires absolutely perfect timing. IMO, one would be better off learning to swing the shotgun and use a swing through method to bust those birds.

I've seen one local legend use this, and he was good.But, loss of concentration hurts this method even more than it does the more usual styles.

And, the other methods can be carried over to hunting or defense a lot easier.

PJR
June 4, 2001, 08:41 PM
The only way to know for sure is to try it for a couple of rounds. I've tried the high gun versus low gun and various different holds on the trap house. Eventually, I settled on a system that allows me to see the bird coming out of the house and I follow the target with my eyes as the gun comes up to the target and swings through. But what works for me might not be best for you.

MiniZ
June 4, 2001, 10:50 PM
It couldn't hurt to try a new method. I prefer to shoot like PJR, but I don't criticize any one's shooting method if it works for them.
Zane

pepemarine
June 5, 2001, 01:38 AM
Listen to PJR. but the next time at the plate try to position yourself where your dominant eye is looking at the trap, that way when there´s a release you don´t have an
arm blocking your view and make the follow through shot,

Here we don´t shoot trap but handthrown live bird shooting where the reaction time is very critical. and body position also, because you don´t know the flying path of the bird. and remember to practice.

practice makes perfect.

keep blasting!

Dave McC
June 5, 2001, 06:03 AM
Here's how I do it, and no claim for the superiority of this method is made. It works for me...

I mount the gun and look over the bbl, noting that the beads do that Figure 8 thing. I then shift the focus of my eyes and attention to the front of the trap house. Someplace in here my left eye closes briefly as I call for the bird. 40 years of shooting means bad habits are very tough to break.

As I watch the bird climb, my gun follows it and when it feels right, the shot happens.It's a swing through, and the gun doesn't stop moving until the clay either breaks or leaves the area.