PDA

View Full Version : Which 9mm for carry, Kahr K9/ Glock 26/ Sig P239?

long shot
June 3, 2001, 12:12 PM
Would like fellow TFL'ers opinions, all have their pro's & con's, but I would just like to here reasons why you'd go with one over the other two.

Also, if I choose the K9, what is the most corrosion resistant finish it comes in?

Thanks in advance...long shot!

Mike Baugh
June 3, 2001, 01:22 PM
I have owned all 3 and the Sig is the one I still own , I even liked it enough to buy an extra one . The Kahr I owned was actually the MK9 . The 239 just fits me well and is super accurate . I never had a malfunction with any of the 3 models and they were all accurate for self defense purposes . It all comes down to what YOU like . I own other Glock models and love them , but the small ones [26,27] never did much for me , to get them to fit my hand I needed the grip extensions and if using them you may as well go with a 19 . If I were going to get the kahr I would get it in stainless . I think the Glock 19 should replace the 26 in your choices , it is an excellent carry gun [I have 2 of them also] . The 239 just works for me . Good luck , Mike...

croyance
June 3, 2001, 05:33 PM
I carry the K9 normally. If you go this route, I suggest the stainless model, or the polymer P9.

Part of the reason I made this choice is because of the trigger. I don't like the trigger on Glocks. The Kahrs have a double action trigger that is smooth. The Kahr is also thinner.

No comments on the Sig, except that every one I fired has been a quality gun.

Of course, now I'm going to experiment with a lightweight commander style 1911.

orlando5
June 3, 2001, 07:16 PM
Go for the glock 26.

glh
June 3, 2001, 07:26 PM
I have carried all three weapons and I carry the 19/26
It is the fastest gun to first shot (for me). I took awhile to get used to the Glocks...But now I wont carry much else.

Gary

sig970
June 3, 2001, 09:11 PM
Sig P239

oktagon
June 3, 2001, 09:42 PM
Kahr is the smallest and the thinnest of the bunch, also the heaviest.

Dfariswheel
June 3, 2001, 10:04 PM
The K9 has the best 'feel' to me of any mini gun. The stainless finish seems to stand up best, but on my gun which is 3 years old, only the slide and receiver are stainless. All other parts are plated. I much prefer the K9 trigger action.

M1911
June 4, 2001, 07:57 AM
Like you said, advantages and disadvantages. I own two Glocks, three Kahrs, and a Sig P239 (in .40). If possible, handle each of the guns in a gun shop to see how they fit your hand. Better yet, see if there's a range that will let you rent them.

Glock 26 - highest capacity, 10 + 1. Trigger is consistent, but consistently nasty, IMNSHO. I have a hard time shooting Glocks accurately, because of their trigger. YMMV. The double stack magazine makes the gun relatively thick and thus harder to conceal. The large grip circumference makes it hard for people with small hands to comfortably reach the trigger. Glocks are known for their reliability. The polymer frame reduces weight.

Sig P239 - significantly larger than either of the other two. The Sig has a high bore axis and the gun is quite tall, from the top of the slide to the underside of the frame (where the trigger guard meets the frame). The high bore axis gives more muzzle flip. The gun feels top-heavy in my hands. It's DA/SA, which I don't like (but that is a religious issue -- either you like it or you don't). The slide stop is in an unusual location (it's the operating lever furthest to the rear). The gun is quite accurate. The SA trigger is pretty good. The DA trigger is ok. It's been reliable for me. Capacity is less than the Glock, but a round more than the Kahr - 8 + 1. Easiest takedown of the three.

Kahr K9 - my choice of the three. It is the thinnest of the bunch, making it easier to conceal. It is a bit heavier than the Glock 26, but I suspect they both weigh pretty much the same when loaded. It is striker-fired, like the Glock, but with a much smoother trigger pull. Think of it as the best double-action revolver trigger pull you've ever felt. The trigger does have a longer stroke than the Glock, making follow-up shots a bit slower. Mine have been reliable and accurate. Capacity is 7 + 1. Get the Elite model, which has a slightly shorter trigger stroke. For corrosion resistance, either get the stainless K9, or consider the polymer P9.

M1911

Tecolote
June 4, 2001, 09:37 AM
The single best way is to try each one out before buying. What feels nice in a shop may feel terrible at the range. I prefer Glocks because they work for me. Once you master the unique trigger they're very accurate. The G26/27/33 models are among the most accurate of all Glocks. How thin a pistol is secondary to grip size. It's the grip that's hardest to conceal, unless you're looking for pocket carry and that closes out the G26 and P239 for most people.

Redlg155
June 4, 2001, 11:12 AM
Hell, Just buy a Makarov!:D

Seriously,

A lot depends upon your body frame and type of carry your prefer. Fanny packs let you get away with most any weapon- my preferred carry choice here in NW Fl, while IWB and Strongside holsters can be a little more handgun specific.

I have had the P239 in .40 and I never was comfortable with the size of the weapon. I have also carried the G27 for about 3 years but I never was really comfortable with the thickness. I eventually moved on to the "slimline" G36 .45 Auto. I have yet to carry the Kahr, but the slim size of the weapon is an added bonus.In additon, you can get the Kahr in polymer which will reduce the weight to something a lot more comfortable to carry.

I tend to like polymer guns for carry better than steel. Light weight, corrosion resistance, and resistance to dings and scratches that would make a steel or alloy frame weapon really unsightly.With polymer I don't care about a scratch, but let me see a scratch on one of my steel pistols and it will drive me nuts!!!!

I sometimes have to leave my weapons in the car while I enter restricted places and trust me- a polymer gun is a lot easier to stick back in an IWB holster than an steel/alloy weapon when it is about 100 Degrees outside.

Good Shooting
RED

Marcus
June 4, 2001, 08:18 PM
They`re all good guns that would serve you well but IMO the K-9 will be the easiest and most comfortable to carry. For carry under a jacket or untucked flannel shirt they`re all great but under just an untucked t shirt or something the slimness of the Kahr will be an advantage. It`ll also be less bothersome IWB. That said I often carry a full sized steel CZ-75 or 10mm Witness IWB under a t shirt. ;) I tried a Kahr K-9 Elite stainless recently and was very impressed with it,comfy,accurate, reliable and it carried really well in a FIST IWB ultra thin kydex clip on holster. You could forget it was there, the weight was a non issue (at least with this rig and a good belt. This is saying something since my ususal daily carry gun this time of year is my super lightweight Keltec P-11 carried with a belt clip. Marcus

shooter.45
June 4, 2001, 08:27 PM
Thats easy G26 great gun very accurate too.

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1530988&a=11592368&p=48660101&Sequence=0&res=high

Mark King
June 5, 2001, 07:36 AM
When I was searching for a compact 9mm for carry I ended up buying a Kahr K9 for the following reasons.

I didn't like the feel of the G26, adding the Pierce magazine floorplate helped but the plastic perfection still feels like a brick to me.

The 239 was different, it felt like all of the pistol's weight was above my hand rather than in my hand.

The Kahr just felt right from the first time I picked it up. It sits nice and low in the hand and points very naturally for me. Also of the three the Kahr has the slickest trigger, it's sooooo smooth. (My K9 has the standard trigger not the Elite). Another factor that helped make my deciiision was the width of the pistol. It's very slim and flat compared to most of the available auto pistols in 9mm

The downside is it feels heavy for such a small gun, but that hasn't been a problem in carrying the little Kahr when using a good holster and helps in recoil control for fast pairs or triples.

I also did have a couple of problems which were corrected in short order by Kahr's customer service. I give them high marks for service after the sale.

The K9 has a little over two thousand rounds through it and has proven to be flawless. I replaced the standard front sight with the Kahr tritium night sight and added skateboard tape to the front strap.. Oh yea, the trigger is even smoother now and keeps getting better.

I'm considering a customization project on the gun where the grip length would be shortened to that of the MK line, similar to the K40 Covert that was released prioor to the MK40 thus providing me with a more concealable version of the little pistol but maintaining the original barrel length.

Mark / FL

Onslaught
June 5, 2001, 08:59 AM
I actually remembered this post last night before I headed out to WallyWorld... When I tucked my Kahr P9 into it's IWB holster, just to the left of SOB carry. To check for printing, I pulled the front of my shirt so that the back of it was tight against the gun... all I could see was the clip from the IWB holster :) The Kahr P9 absolutely disappears on me in that particular spot. It's easily concealed on strong side too, but not so much that you can wear a less than loose shirt and nothing more to cover it. I also LOVE the elite trigger that comes standard on the P series of pistols. The only thing I'd rather have than the Kahr P9 is a Kahr P40 ;) (No matter what, I'm just never satisfied...)

quantico
June 6, 2001, 01:59 PM
I am not a fan of the 26 glock, the grip does not allow much hand on the gun. I would recommend the sig p-239 in any case. I purchased a pair of them in 357 sig and think it's the best. If you are leaning toward the glock I would urge you to consider the 19 as it's a better gun to get your hands on. My sig has been 100 percent reliable .... my glock 19 also has been perfect. I think the function of the sig is better and the trigger is better , at least for me.

Green Republican
June 6, 2001, 03:47 PM
Kahr P9