PDA

View Full Version : Any 20 round mags for VEPR .308?

lucky085
June 1, 2001, 08:01 AM
I am considering a purchase of this gun, but was wondering if anyone knew of 20 round mags that would fit this gun?

It appears to be a well-made .308 semiauto for a good price, any information would be appreciated.

dZ
June 1, 2001, 10:12 AM
nope unless Alex Robinson at ZDF does some ATF approved engineering and makes US high caps
ONe of the gun plumbers made a .308 gallil maged .308 vepr but that was not cheap.

Run a search on Vepr here in Art of the Rifle

I have had mine for a couple of years, its a
great rifle and 10 rounds of 308 is enough for most situations

if you "need" more capacity consider a 5.56 vepr

M77B1
June 1, 2001, 10:12 AM
No ready made 20 rounders for the .308 Vepr. Galil mags can be modified to work in it,but requires some mods to the rifle itself. I've been told that FAL mags can also be modified for it. I haven't tried any mag mods for it myself,though.

Keep in mind that the BATF has ruled that any mag over ten rounds in capacity modified for the Vepr must still be able to function in the gun that it was originally made for or it would be a newly manufactured high cap mag and thus illegal. However,if a high cap mag is reduced to 10 rounds or less in capacity you wouldn't have to worry about it.

I love my .308 Vepr; very high quality. The 10 round mags don't bother me (except their cost). IMO 10 round mags are adequate for an individual rifleman with a MBR.

lucky085
June 1, 2001, 11:44 AM
Thanks for the info. Strangely enough, while I was browsing in a local gun shop just a little while ago, I discovered they had some VEPR's, including the .308, so I got to handle it a little. I like it a lot, it is fairly lightweight and well balanced. I don't know if I can talk them down in price, however, enough to match the price I can get at Tennessee guns on the internet.

I also handled a Saiga .308, it also seemed to be well made, although a little bigger and heavier gun than the VEPR.

I'm not too concerned about mag size, although I could get the 7.62x39 or the .223.