PDA

View Full Version : Glock carry question

Daniel501
May 6, 2001, 01:10 PM
I'm in the process of choosing a holster for IWB carry of a Glock 19 and seeking recommendations. I've already heard good things about Sidearmor. Anyone care to discuss the pros and cons of J hooks and various degrees of holster cant? I'm partial to the J hooks for the added convenience of being able to remove the holster without removing the belt, but I figure someone must have good reason to dislike them. I'm inclined to lean towards the 5 degree cant, just because it seems more natural to me, but I haven't any experience with actual carry, so I'd appreciate discussion of the 15 degree vs. 5 degree cant. I'd also entertain suggestions of other holsters besides Sidearmor. Thanks in advance!

Ellery Holt
May 6, 2001, 05:33 PM
You might get more replies to your questions if you post over at glocktalk.com as there seems to be many more Sidearmor users there, and Patricia provides customer service/Q&A for the company there.

I see you are a junior member, but it won't take long until you pick up on the underlying bias against 'plastic' here, whereas you and your combat tupperware and plastic holster will be welcome with open arms at glocktalk. :)

But please don't misunderstand me: TFL is a great place too.

marsbars
May 6, 2001, 05:40 PM
I have a DeSantis IWB model 038-B2 for my Glock 22. It has leather snaps that attach to the belt so that it is secure in the draw yet I can remove it without haveing to remove my belt. As to what the cant is I couldn't tell you. All I know is that is very comfortable for a IWB and has held up pretty well for the price I paid for it. I paid less than 50 bucks for it from my local dealer shortly after I bought my G22.
Now that I look at it mine appears to have a 5° cant and sometimes that isn't enough. But it works well for me just depends on the pants and shirt that I am wearing.

I would suggest that you get one that has the suede on the outside as the smooth leather makes for some serious sweat if the weather is really hot.

Good luck in your search and I hope that my insight however small is of some use to you.

swatman
May 6, 2001, 05:44 PM
I've got mine riding in a Don Hume IWB holster. It is very comfortable and keeps the firarm secure and conceals well.

skevlar
May 6, 2001, 05:52 PM
If you want true hand made, hand formed & finished Kydex molded to the actual pistol with the precise retention you prefer for CCW or competition. Check out 3 of the very best: MD Labs "Gun Glove" {aka "Mad Dog"} Cen-Dex {formerly "High Desert Tact."} and Ky-Tac. http://www.cen-dex.com http://www.mdenterprise.com/holsters.htm http://hometown.aol.com/kytac Arguably the best Kydex IWB available @ any $ is David Elderton's Superb Ky-Tac "Braveheart". Be aware that cant is not cut and dried and most custom makers will vary the degree for the specific pistol, its use & type of holster. You can get any angle built from the three Custom Makers above to your liking or their recomendation. FWIW, The best in hand made Kydex costs no more than the "mass-produced" generic stuff.

Scott Evans
May 6, 2001, 06:18 PM
Ellery,
More then a few of us prefer Kydex ... and even know a little something about it too. :D

Daniel
The J hooks should do fine as long as you use them in conjunction with a quality belt.

adept
May 6, 2001, 09:10 PM
Ellery,
there are many folks here that like glocks, and tend to post quite a bit about them. as far as "I see you are a junior member, but it won't take long until you pick up on the underlying bias against 'plastic' here, whereas you and
your combat tupperware and plastic holster will be welcome with open arms at glocktalk." what makes you think that he won't be welcome here?? i have yet to see any "bias against 'plastic'", i have seen a lot of "my gun is better than your gun".

Daniel,
i use a shooting systems holster with the "J" hooks for my walther p-99 <another one of those "tupperware combat" guns> and it works quite well for carry. it's just a basic holster, no thumbreak or serious retention device. i'm actually going to be devising my own most likely using nylon and velcro. good luck with your search, find something that is comfortable.

Adept

Ellery Holt
May 7, 2001, 03:31 AM
Oops. Sorry. Going back and re-reading I see I clearly gave the wrong impression about TFL. There is not an underlying bias against Glocks here, and I was wrong to say so.

Like with any large group of people, there are many, many opinions--a small fraction of which come from people who like to disparage Glocks for the most asinine reasons. Being a rather ubiquitous and popular weapon, Glocks get more than their share.

One haven from this is Glocktalk.

But like Scott and adept rightly point out, I'm wrong to imply it's prevalent here. Belonging to both fora, I notice the difference and in my mind probably overstate the case.

And as I already wrote, The Firing Line is great.

Just to be fair: Glocktalk can get a more than a little repetitive at times! :)

WESHOOT2
May 7, 2001, 05:55 AM
Suggest looking at Milt Sparks Holsters, specifically their IWB series.

Moo.

----------------------------------------

"all my leather is organically produced leather"

9x45
May 7, 2001, 09:09 PM
There is no one good way or holster to carry a handgun concealed, Glock or not. It depends on your specific habits and risk. After many years, I have found the carry clip to be the most versatile and concealable way to go, with the exception of a plain old fanny pack. Most people just don't notice anyway....

gringo5
May 8, 2001, 11:54 AM
I have two Kydex holsters one IWB and another one that clips onto the pants with a forward cant that holds my Gocks with the M-3 light attached that i use when i'm out walking at night. Over the years i have spent lots of money on holsters. Holster are a very personal thing and depend on what you are doing and were are you doing it at.

WHAT GLOCK BIAS??

ctc
May 8, 2001, 04:08 PM
I use and Alessi Talon http://www.rfholsters.com/rfholsters/product.asp?dept%5Fid=10&pf%5Fid=AH%2DHST when I want a holster w/ a clip. The Talon clip is great at grabbing the waist band. All of my other IWB have snap loops for easy on/off. Most all of the better holster makers offer snap loops atleast as an option. I also have decided that I prefer to have a leather extension on the rear covering the slide.

BTW here's a picture of my Talon w/ my Beretta Mini Cougar, 8040F:

http://www.zing.com/picture/p95a293a13309264b5dceb18f35bb9169/fe8f4e9e.jpg.orig.jpg

-- Chuck

jtduncan
May 8, 2001, 04:34 PM
Chill out Ellery with your 24 posts.

There are plenty of Glock owners here. This is a vocal group, that's all.

We enjoy putting the polymer and the steel against each other head to head.

There are good and bad Glocks as well as some good and bad 1911s.

I carry a cheap Mil-Tech nylon IWB clip holster for $10 and love the darn thing. It works for my G26, G19, G17, G20, P7 too. Try a couple holsters on then buy one.

Welcome to TFL!

pax
May 8, 2001, 06:09 PM
I've got my Glock 26 in an IWB kydex holster from Blade-Tec. They gave me fast, friendly, and courteous service.

pax