PDA

View Full Version : Q's on modifying 870 Wingmaster

eje
April 28, 2001, 11:57 PM
I've bought an old 870 Wingmaster with a 30" barrel that I'm planning to modify for HD. The only barrel modification I'm sure about doing is cutting the barrel down to 20" or 18.5", but before I did that, I had a couple questions. The barrel is stamped "FULL"; what does this mean and how would it affect patterning? I wouldn't want to cut the barrel if the barrel isn't going to be suitable for HD use. Also, are there any benefits or drawbacks of having an 18.5" barrel as opposed to a 20" barrel?

Thanks for the input,

Ed

K80Geoff
April 29, 2001, 08:45 AM
The "Full" marking means that the barrel has a fixed full choke. If you cut the barrel down to 20" the choke, which is at the end of the barrel, will be gone.

You will then have a barrel with "cylinder" choke, or no choke at all, which is basically what "Cylinder" means.

You then have two options, use tha barrel as cylinder choke or have removeable choke tubes installed.

Geoff Ross

Coronach
April 29, 2001, 10:44 AM
18.5 v 20"

No practical difference.

Also, why not just buy a short barrel for it, rather than have the existing one cut down? That way you will have the short HD barrel and, should you ever want a long, full-choked barrel, you'll have one. Barrels are not that expensive.

Mike

Dave McC
April 30, 2001, 12:50 PM
I did just that with my HD 870, and now regret not having that Full choke bbl.

Get another bbl.

Choke is meaningless at HD ranges.

And, while I prefer short bbled defense guns, a long barreled 870 is still oneheckuva potent weapon at close quarters.

As to 18.5" X 20", I've one of each and see no difference between them for ease of handling or accuracy.

eje
April 30, 2001, 06:47 PM
Thanks for the information, guys. I'm going to get another barrel.

Ed