PDA

View Full Version : Colt Agent (det special) light hammer strikes

shiroikuma
April 25, 2001, 02:57 PM
Hi gang,

I just went to the range and shot some .38 reloads I made. I had about 8 failures to fire in 50 rounds. They failed to fire on the first strike double action. About 1/2 failed to fire on another pass. I finally got them all to go off using single action.

I'm guessing this is due to my hammer spring being weak. Do you think so? Any idea what else might be causing a problem? This is a second hand (at least) gun so I don't know how old the springs are.

I imagine they are a pain to fix. Not like an auto which is easy.

shiro

9mmepiphany
April 25, 2001, 03:59 PM
most colts have a very substantual mainspring and the first thing i would check would be the ammo. try some factory loads and see if it makes a difference. it's a whole different story if a previous owner had some work done.

however, the colt mainspring is much easier to replace than a smith or ruger...there's only one spring involved.

1. get a replacement mainspring (colt d-frame)
2. unload the gun
3. take off the grip panels

the main spring is the v-shaped leaf spring that sits horizonally in the frame.

4. compress the leafspring (i use a set of needle nose pliers) until the upper hooks clear the hammer strut
5. slide leafspring out sideways

shiroikuma
April 25, 2001, 04:01 PM
Thanks kind sir!

Shiro

Now where could I get a spring and how much I wonder... hmmmm?

9mmepiphany
April 25, 2001, 05:01 PM
i always try brownells first or sarco, if you want an original. you could also see if wolffe gunsprings or cylinder & slide might have a pre-tuned one for sale

shiroikuma
April 25, 2001, 09:51 PM
nope nothing at any of those places. Guess I'm out of luck.

shiro

WalterGAII
April 26, 2001, 11:29 AM
Gunparts, of NY, might have your spring. Also, if the gun is particularly dirty and not properly lubed, you might experience light strikes. Make particularly sure that there's no gunk that's preventing the hammer from solidly passing through the hole in the frame.

On the other hand, you might not have seated your primers deaply enough.

Just checked my Brownell's. They list a mainspring for a DSII. I don't know if that's a leaf or coil spring, but you might call Brownell's and ask for their Tech Support staff. Their part number is 160-000-023, Colt # SP30055.