PDA

View Full Version : makarov range report - mixed results :I

tree
April 24, 2001, 07:56 PM
Well I finally made it to the range with my new Bulgarian Makarov.

I went out for the purpose of cycling some ammo through both mags and attempting to gage relative shootability and accuracy, and reliability.

Accuracy: At 10 -15 yds ...when I did my part with a steady front site hold, the gun could keep them in a 3-4 inch group. A couple shots were within 1/2 of each provoing the gun is more accurate then I am.

Shootability: The recoil was rather mild, although the Bularian Makarov grips started to punish a bit after 100 rds. I did not find them condusive to comfort, but they were adequate.

Reliability: wonderful to start with. I shot about 30 rds of WOLF ball ammo with one mag without any problems. I then switched to another mag I loaded with Hornandy HP ammo I planned to carry for CCW and it cycled them like with ease.
I proceeded to shoot about 30 rds of Wolf Ball ammo with this mag without failure. I loaded another 8 rds, and tried to release the slide release. It would not budge. The bullet appeared to have moved 1/4 inch but just stayed there. Its as though there was inadequate spring tension to jam the round home. As such the slide was stuck open. I cleared the mag and worked the action. No problem. The slide was closed when I shoved in the same mag topped off with 8 rds of ball ammo. I pulled back the slide and darned if it did not jam open again. Failure to feed. I eventually got the mag to feed a round, and occasionally experienced the same failure to feed at the beginning of the mag and in the middle once or twice. Upon examination it appeared the mag lip might have bent in slightly more on the left than my other mag. Perhaps this was causing some additional tension on the bullet. If perception was true it was not much of an increase. Maybe I am just imagining things. I will look them over tonight when I clean up everything. It could also be the bullet tip (ball) is catching on the front of the mag.

It should be noted I tried the first magazine after this episode,with several full mag loads. Not once did the gun jam or fail to feed with this mag.

Observation: With a full mag, and a open slide, upon forceful insertion of the mag, the slide would trip easily and close on the round. If I eased the mag in no trip of the slide was experienced. A simple palm of the hand shove of the mag basewould trigger the slide forward.

Question: Is this normal?

The wolf ammo seemed really dirty, as there is plenty of powder residue to clean up on the throat.

I will likely need to get some more mags, and also shoot a bunch more ammo to establish some comfort or reliability.

Sorry to ramble on... but I have heard such glorious praise of the Makarov. I like mine, I just have to figure out if the problem is indeed the one mag.

Tree.

VictorLouis
April 24, 2001, 08:26 PM
I have a Bulgie, and 5 different mags for it. The first round chambered from a full mag will feed and fire fine. Upon recoil, the slide will lock open as though it were empty. If I push up slightly on the base of the mag, it will chamber the second round. This periodically recurs as I fire, and has happened with two type of ball and two kinds of JHP. It has also happened while shooting it with my weak hand.

At first, I thought that my little finger may be pulling down on the baseplate extension enough to alter the feed angle. I purposefully pulled down on them with my off hand as I fired, but couldn't duplicate the malfunction. When I downloaded the mags to 5, it would not occur, which would seem to indicate something to do with spring tension on the topmost rounds in the mag.

Well, the gun has been rather dry, so I lubed it liberally before shooting it this Sunday. I used 4 mags loaded at 8, 7, 6 and 5 rds. I started from the full mag and had NO problems throughout. Then, I loaded the last mag(5rds) with 8 and so forth, in reverse. Again, there were no problems. I am going to try this some more with two boxes of ball and a box of Baurnaul JHP before I am satisfied that was the only problem. Do you think the gun would be THAT sensitive to running dry?

10CFR
April 24, 2001, 09:23 PM
Try rubbing some Tetra oil on and under the magazine lips and on the feed ramp. Rub each surface at least 20 strokes to embed the material. See if it still does that.

-10CFR

IZZY
April 25, 2001, 11:31 AM
Dump the Bulgarian mags!!! I had a problem where the ammo case neck would get stuck on th side cut out jamming up the whole mag! Was not an every day occurance but it spooked me. Get some East German or Russian Magazines. Is this a military or commercial model?

bullet44
April 25, 2001, 11:45 AM
I have german and bulgie mags, no problems with
either, I do remove springs and clean very good
most have years of grease/dirt inside. I did see
one with a broken"tang"on the left side which caused
slide not to lock open.

h_tolley
April 25, 2001, 11:46 AM
I use mostly Russian mags in my bulgie and I have never had any problems at all once the pistol was broken in. Yes, wolf ammo is dirty but it is cheap and works well in maks. I shoot mostly S&B and some chinese stuff.

denfoote
April 25, 2001, 04:16 PM
Tree,
It sounds to me like you need to break in the pistol. My Bulgie shot like hell until about 250-300 rounds went through it. Now at 10yds, I can put all 8 into the size of a quarter. Also, did you get all the cosmoline out?? This is a must!!! They even put the stuff into the mags!!! Take your pistol, and mags apart, and clean them throughly in kerosine, or some such cleaner. Lube, and reassemble. The instructions are on makarov.com under the heading of "detail stripping". This process took me about 3 hours. The wife got kinda upset over the bucket of "guck" as she put it, next to the computer. ;) But, she got over it. :) Then put the requsite 300 rounds through it. Do this, and you should be fine. As touching Wolf ammo, yeah it's dirty stuff, but it works!!! I use it, and I like it. :) It is less dirty than the Norinco stuff. I have yet to try the Bernaul.

tree
April 25, 2001, 08:25 PM
Izzy: Its a bulgarian Military.

Denfoote: Actually the first thing I did when I got the gun was detail strip it, soak in Kerosene, and clean the the daylights out of it. I then used some Wilson lube on the rails and trigger assembly.

I probably need to shoot it a bunch more to break it in satisfactorily. Although, the lock open or fail to feed occurred with one mag only whereas the second mag I had was flawless. Perhaps its just that mag. i have a case of the ammo so I think I will burn up a couple hundred rounds one day next week.

I would like to get some more mags, so I will stop over at Makarov.com to see whats available.

You might be happy to know the Makarov fever is spreading in Michigan. I have sold three in a week.

Gotta get a couple more.

BB
April 25, 2001, 08:42 PM
Lower the front top edge of the mag housing, it may be getting hung up there like mine did. I used a dremel on the mag and it fixed it.

denfoote
April 26, 2001, 06:56 AM
Denfoote: Actually the first thing I did when I got the gun was detail strip it, soak in Kerosene, and clean the the daylights out of it. I then used some Wilson lube on the rails and trigger assembly.

Tree,
Yeah, but did you take apart the magazine??????? That damn cosmo gets into everything!!!!

tree
April 26, 2001, 07:43 AM
Denfoote: Ya, I detail cleaned the mags too.

BB:Lower the front top edge of the mag housing, it may be getting hung up there like mine did. I used a dremel on the mag and it fixed it.

I think you have given me the solution BB. I will mike ou the good mag and the one which gave me trouble... I think the bullet case might be catching the front of the mag as you noted... If so your cure is an easy one.

Denfoote: In showing the Mak to friends, who I have later sold them too.....they are just amazed at how good it feels in the hand, and what intrigues the daylights out of them is the way the Mak breaks down. Too cool for words.:)

V.A. Cop
April 26, 2001, 08:17 AM
I have an East German Makarov and 12 East German mags. I have put 600 rounds of ball and hollow point ammo through the gun and all mags and have never had any problem at all. I feel the Makarov is one of the best values in a self defense pistol on the market. I hope you get yours figured out and enjoy it.

denfoote
April 27, 2001, 07:29 AM
Denfoote: In showing the Mak to friends, who I have later sold them too.....they are just amazed at how good it feels in the hand, and what intrigues the daylights out of them is the way the Mak breaks down. Too cool for words.

Yeah, I know the feeling. My first self defense handgun was an IJ70-17A. I still have it. It languished in my safe for years, while I went a-whoring after other guns. I then had the chance to buy a Bulgarian Mak, and went for it. The love affair was re-kindled. I now own an East German, which is my carry pistol. The Bulgarian serves as it's faithful back-up. The Russian, being a .380, still resides in the safe, oh well. I yearn for a Soviet military, or even an original IJ70. I am contemplating a barrel change for my Russian. I want to completly investigate the legality of such a move with regard to the ATF rule that the caliber must be on the frame. Oh well enough rant, enjoy your Makarov. Many of us here have them. A scant few of us not only admit it in mixed company, but do confess that we actually carry it as a primary weapon. ;)

V.A. Cop
April 27, 2001, 07:34 AM
Denfoote, I believe that there is no problem in doing a barrel change. If there was a problem then it would be illegal for Glock, Sig ect. to offer two barrel conversions for there guns, like 357 sig to 40 S&W ect. So I say go and swap that barrel. You can find out tons of information on the makarov at http://www.makarov.com

6dollarman
October 22, 2007, 02:13 PM
I have a Makarov 380 Auto Pistol. Some where along the way I lost
the owners book. I finally got out to range and shot it, when it came to
taking it apart to clean, I couldn't get to come apart. I am asking if anyone
would be able to send and or get me the information I need to properly
clean it. (or tell me where to get paper work)
[email protected]

Tom2
October 22, 2007, 03:21 PM
I have not fired my EG Mak lately but it is the third one of those I have owned. Don't recall any failures at any time with any of them. I suspect most of my spare mags are Russian but perhaps a German mixed in with them. Mags are cheap cheap cheap for Maks so no excuse to not stock up with plenty of spares. Probably alot of them are Russian which is good.

North Bender
October 22, 2007, 04:11 PM
6dollarman, makarov.com gives detailed information on Makarov dissassemblt procedures:

http://makarov.com/tech/assembly.html

Tom2
October 22, 2007, 05:32 PM
Yep, if he goes there, that will answer all his questions, they know more than most folks about them there.

denfoote
October 23, 2007, 08:10 AM
I still have the same Macs as I did then!!

Tom2
October 23, 2007, 03:03 PM
Just rechecked the dates! WHo keeps dredging up old posts like this?