PDA

View Full Version : Need info on Bulgarian Makarov

Starsfan
April 22, 2001, 02:54 PM
Hi all,

Does anyone know a source where I can find out when my Bulgarian Makarov was manufactured?

I've been to Makarov.com, but they haven't found out anything either.

Since i'm new to TFL, I apologize if this has been asked before.

*Starsfan*

denfoote
April 22, 2001, 03:12 PM
Starsfan,
Unfortunately your question has no answer. I have been trying to wrest this information out of the internet for months now. I have even gone as far as to pose the question to the Bulgarian Ambassador himself with no success. Evidently, the information is still "classified" within the Bulgarian military. There was someone on Makarov.com who said that his girlfriend was Bulgarian, and that she had contacts in the "Old Country" who could find out, but nothing has ever come of it. We may never know. :( Sorry!!!

Starsfan
April 22, 2001, 03:20 PM
Thanks for the info denfoote! I ran across that thread you mentioned at Makarov.com.. There was a link to the girls homepage where she had several photos of Bulgarian military weapons. Nothing on the Mak though. Too bad.

I'm hoping to run across one of those Russian PM's that were mistakenly imported as Bulgarian!
I like that the Russkies etch the date on the frame.

*Starsfan*

denfoote
April 22, 2001, 03:37 PM
The best information that I have been able to glean is an educated "guess" by the Makarov expert at my local gunshop. This guy knows just about everything there is to know about the Makarov. His "guess" is that they were made during the late "50's" to early "60's". That makes sense, because my East German has a date stamp of 1964.

Starsfan
April 22, 2001, 07:02 PM
The dealer I purchased mine from had a sign saying it was made in 1955, but he could not confirm this, or tell me how he knew.

I regret not buying a Makarov sooner. They are a sweet pistol,
and are a lot of fun to shoot.

My Bulgarian came packed in cosmo, with 2 numbered mags, and the holster. I got if for $160 out the door. Not bad for such a reliable
"old" weapon. :)

Do you own any others besides the East German?

*Starsfan*

Tecolote
April 22, 2001, 07:11 PM
Dan at Dan's Sporting Goods, one of the largest distributors of Maks, said he was sure they were built in the early 1960s, probably 1964-1965. For some reason the Bulgarians just cranked them out like they were going out of style than stopped making until the current crop of Arsenals started up.

Starsfan
April 22, 2001, 07:18 PM
Thanks for the replies. I guess I can just assume that mine was made somewhere around that time frame.
It's strange, but not knowing when it was made just bugs me! :(

*Starsfan*