PDA

View Full Version : Bolt action in .223, CZ 527 or Ruger MK II ?

ATeaM
April 19, 2001, 04:07 AM
I'm looking for my first bolt action. Basically a paper shooter that uses cheap ammo and is decently accurate, can be scoped, ect. Anyone have experience with these two rifles ? Are they in the same price range ?

The only bolt action I've ever shot was a Ruger in .22 magnum that was surprisingly fun. I wouldn't mind getting this same rifle in a larger caliber, but the CZ full stock has got my attention as well. It looks beautiful in the pictures, but I can't tell whether it can be scoped and if the stock sights are worth a damn.

Well ? :confused: Help a brother out, are their other choices I should consider ?

PJR
April 19, 2001, 11:01 AM
The CZ would be my choice. During a period when I bought and sold a variety of rifles, I owned a 527 for about 6 months. It had an adjustable trigger, reasonable sights and can be scoped. IIRC the reciever was grooved and Millett rings fit nicely. It as accurate and kept most rounds into 3 shot groups of less than an inch. The only caution is that mine was not a full stock so I can't say if it would be as accurate.

Ruger rifles don't have adjustable triggers. I've found that accuracy varies among their rifles in my experience.

Another choice worth looking at is Tikka. Accurate, reasonably priced, adjustable trigger but I don't think they don't come in open sights in .223

ATeaM
April 19, 2001, 03:08 PM
Thanks PJR, I'll give the Tikka a look as well.