PDA

View Full Version : Steyr S 9mm

viper
April 15, 2001, 09:47 PM
Hey guys,

I'm a Glock 19 owner(and carrier), and have thought about purchasing one of the new Steyr S 9mm's. I handled one at Lou's Gun Shop down here in Miami a couple of weeks ago. I have to say it felt pretty good. My two primary questions are:

Has Steyr worked the bugs out of their pistols yet?

Has anyone fired the new Steyr S model 9mm?

I understand Steyr pistols have been plagued with reliablility and durability problems, bad triggers, etc...

Have they gotten their act together yet?

sox
April 16, 2001, 12:54 AM
I have had mine about 6 weeks, so far a few hundred rounds without any problem. The trigger is much better than my 19's, and I like the capability to employ the safeties. It is easier to breakdown. Overall a nice package, I think they have worked the kinks out. What is interesting is on paper it seems like it is going to be more close to the 26 in size, but in the flesh it is same size as the 19. I am lookin to trade it for a P99 in the future. My ADD is kickin in. Best of luck.

viper
April 16, 2001, 04:15 PM
One response? That's it?

sox
April 16, 2001, 04:26 PM
Viper, tell me about it. I think it may be due to the fact that there simply isn't that many of em out there yet. Steyr was up for sale recently, and I am not sure if that has effected distribution.

GregM
April 16, 2001, 04:47 PM
I had one for a while, did not like it at all. I could not hit the side of a barn with those funky sights, and the trigger was very inconsistent. It also seemed to have wuite a bit of muzzle flip, especially considering how low the bore-axis is. I was not impressed. Traded it for a springfiled .45 and never looked back.

GregM

Jeff OTMG
April 17, 2001, 11:56 PM
The initial bugs in the ejection and trigger have been worked out. The trigger was just tweaked, but there are eight (I think it was 8) points in the trigger group that can be tweaked and the pull can be brought down to under 3 pounds. Just like a Glock can be brought to under 2 pounds.

HowardK
April 19, 2001, 02:23 PM
I have an M9 and love it. Once you get used to the sights they are great. I actually like my Steyr much more than the Glock 19 I got rid of. The ergonomics are better, the trigger is better--shorter reset, and I like the external safeties, especially for carry. It's also very accurate if you feed it the right load.