PDA

View Full Version : How many handguns did you go through.......

Mr. Pub
April 13, 2001, 11:14 AM
....before you found THE right gun for you?

For a house gun I started out with a HK USP .40 full size

-didn't like the SA/DA trigger and it seemed a little too big.

Next was a Glock 23

-I had numerous failure to feed problems with it, I think the problem was a weak slide release spring that I may have messed up when I put a 3.5 lb. connector in. That was fixed when I restretched the spring. However, I came to dislike the trigger.

Finally a Walther P99 QA

- wide smooth trigger, quick action only (like a glock). Feels good with AGrip on it. And it has rails on it for a light.

Some people keep every gun they buy. I cycle through them. If I don't like it after 6 months I sell it.

I have other guns for other purposes, but this is the path I went through for a house gun.

CITADELGRAD87
April 13, 2001, 11:24 AM
I have found the perfect one several times, something else ALWAYS comes along.

Colt Commanding Officer's Model
Sig 226
Glock 27

I think my definition of what I need the perfect weapon for is what's changing.

Watch-Six
April 13, 2001, 12:00 PM
I've been through several dozen. Some day you will find a custom 1911 and the search will be over. ;)

CastleBravo
April 13, 2001, 12:15 PM
Went through 6 others before I Settled on a Glock 20C and Colt Delta Elite.

C.B.

croyance
April 13, 2001, 12:24 PM
I got luck on my first one. The Beretta 92 was a great pistol for me to start with. It is one of my home defense guns now. Of course, I have a different gun for CCW. And I have various .45 ACPs now. Finding the right gun really didn't keep me from buying more.
It really would be impossible to find the perfect gun for home and concealment use. Even for concealment, it will probably be 2 or 3 different guns for separate conditions.

Onslaught
April 13, 2001, 12:24 PM
I'm with you Mr. Pub... I have a gun for a specific task. If this gun fails to fulfill this task, it gets replaced. I currently have 5 handguns that fullfill different tasks, but I'll only cover the common ones.

For a House gun, I started with the Taurus PT101 (.40) then came the HK USP45... I attached the UTL and never looked back.

As for carry gun, that's a WAY different story.

It started with the Glock 27, (too fat). Then the Walther PPK/S (not dependable) then an AMT Backup 45 (what was I thinking?) then the Kahr K40 (getting closer, too heavy), and finally, the P9 (not too fat, not too heavy, dependable, etc). Now, if Kahr ever makes the Micro P9, or if Glock ever makes a slim-line .40, I may trade again. To be honest though, I'm fighting the urge to bump it up by 1mm and get the new P40, but I'm holding out so far.

Then there's the ALWAYS gun, which I've been without for some time, after ditching a Beretta Tip-Up .22. It's the Kel-Tec P32, and so far, it's doing fine...

I am missing a gun for a task though... I NEED a carry gun for when weather, dress, and situation allows me to carry pretty much anything I want (rare in GA).... Walther P99QA in .40???

Hard Ball
April 13, 2001, 12:34 PM
I started out shooting an original Bisey Colt .32-20 WCF. When the Arny called me to active duty the Bisley was not what I wanted to carry into combat so I got an N frame .38'44 Heavy Duty and a .45 Colt Model 1911A1. Those were good choics and I still love S&W N frames and 1911A1s.

JAFO216
April 13, 2001, 12:45 PM
Still looking , whats the fun if you cant play . Seriuosly after years of playing the handgun feild I have settled on the following guns , favorite 1991 colt custom , glocks , browning hi-powers and I sorta like them funny little P-7 things .

BB
April 13, 2001, 12:45 PM
A bunch.

TZs, Glocks, P35s, 1911s, Brownings, blah blah blah.

Tastes change. Last year I'd have said my Glock 21 was the gun for me; I've since sold all but one of my Glocks. Now I'm liking my Dan Wesson and Colt XS. Next year? Who knows, certainly not me...

Rusty S
April 13, 2001, 01:06 PM
2 9mm Combat Comanders 5 years apart, S&W 59, a Thomas, VP70, S&W 59, S&W 5944, Series 70 1911 45, Berreta 21 in 22lr, and more all long gone.

Still with me, S&W 39-2. Browning HiPower practical. Berreta 92G, Berreta 1935 (32), Browning 1955 380, Browning 1955 380 #2, still nib/unfired. Berreta 950 in 25 with 4" aftermarket bbl.

Of course autos only make up 'bout 15 percent of my handguns.

GunreviewWebmaster
April 13, 2001, 01:45 PM
I've had so many handguns I don't think I could ever come up with the right count (it would take more fingers and toes than I got). ;) If I don't like them, I either trade them in or sell them. Those I like I keep. The pistol that I am most happy with at present is my CZ 97B (I love it). My other pistols I am also very happy with, but not to the extent of the CZ 97B........

tog
April 13, 2001, 01:46 PM
still getting more for home and plain old shooting holes in stuff
the glock 21 is the one on my nightstand, and i dont see that changing any time soon
it's the best package of caliber, capacity, feel of grip, and it's the one that i can shoot the best, prolley cause ive shot it the most

blades67
April 13, 2001, 02:09 PM
All my guns are house guns. My rule is simple, if I can't get the gun into the house...remodel until it fits.;)

jtduncan
April 13, 2001, 02:16 PM
The best thing in the world to do is rent the all.

Over the years I've saved a lot of money by just renting a nice gun for a couple runs.

If it performs, I put it on my list.

I still want to get a Kimber Compact 1911 and at least one AR-15.

ATTICUS
April 13, 2001, 02:28 PM
Lot's of them...and probably will never stop. Right now I'm pretty content with a Kimber CDP, a Kimber Classic, a Browning High Power Practical, and a Makarov. I did learn that I prefer single action pistols, but I do regret trading my Berreta away and will probably add one to the collection again someday.

denfoote
April 13, 2001, 02:41 PM
God, a bunch. Mostly 9x19mm Parabellun's of various stripes. I have pretty much setteled on the Makarov PM for general carry, and the Glock 30 for those times when a 9mm of any sort just may not be enough, like hiking in the deasert, going to the bad part of town, etc.

S&W 24
April 13, 2001, 03:00 PM
lets see... I started with 2 RG 22lr revolvers and a 38 RG
4", then a cobray m11/9, a helwan 951 9mm, a cheapy 22 saa
copy, a virginian dragoon .357 7.5" revolver, a balistar molina 45, series 80 combat comander 45, webley 45acp rev,
S&W 19 2.5" (now my dads), springfield P9 9mm, glock 20,
S&W 29, S&W 27 6.5" (kept it), sig 226 9mm two tone, glock 22 (I have one and have sold one), and I just got a early
LWC in .38 super but I,m keeping it. there are probably a few more I'm forgeting but it's been a bunch.

tlhelmer
April 13, 2001, 04:20 PM
So many guns so little money!

Jason Demond
April 13, 2001, 04:29 PM
0, I like all my guns. I bought them all to serve a purpose even though I can't remember what they all are.

VictorLouis
April 13, 2001, 05:38 PM
It's an endless journey.;) The one type of gun that has always been in my battery, no matter what else, is the J-frame.:D IIRC, the next in seniority is the Kahr E9 pistol. Thankfully, for me, there have been few guns sold or traded that I regret.:)

Pirate
April 13, 2001, 06:25 PM
I've gone through 3 guns since I started carrying last August.

SIG 239
S&W SW-99 .40cal
PO P12-45

My search still continues.I have a feeling I will be happier with a full size single stack 1911.

Dave T
April 13, 2001, 06:41 PM
I've been doing this for a little over 30 years. There are not many types or calibers I haven't owned at least once.

The ones I carry constantly, shoot best with, and like the most, all seem to be of 45 caliber. That applies to both revolvers (SA & DA) and semiautomatics.

Right now I am using Glocks because for me they are extremely reliable, don't break, and don't rust.

YMMV!

rugerfreak
April 13, 2001, 07:16 PM
Been through enough to supply a small gun shop..aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Knighterrant
April 14, 2001, 06:00 PM
For years I carried a Colt Gov't Model in one configuration or another. That was the first big auto I fired starting at age 9. Now 37 years later... went through at least 7 different versions of Mr. Browning's creation. Everything to a REAL combat version(BTDT, served it's purpose) to Gold Cups. Don't have a one now, fell in love with a SIG 220 and have never looked back. The Sig has been with me for over 14 years and I may have looked & shot others but it does all I ask and then some. Wanted a Glock at one time but...why ? Other than to shoot the GSSF? I'll borrow a friends !! Oh yeah...ALL were .45 ACP

Cyrgelman
April 14, 2001, 09:55 PM
I haven't counted the number of handguns I went through...until now:

1--Dan Wesson Model 15 in .357 Mag (1979-1990)
2--S&W Model 657 .41 Magnum (1990-1991)
3--Smith & Wesson 1006 (1991-1992)
4--TZ-88 in .41 Action Express (1992--Very briefly)
5--Delta Elite (1992-present--alternate home defense)
6--S&W Shorty .45 (1997-present--CCW)
7--CZ75B in .40 S&W (present--primary home defense)

So I count 7 in all over the past 22 years.

xtrarnds
April 15, 2001, 09:36 AM
One gun is all it took for me to find out which gun was the right gun for me. To make a long story short, the first gun I ever fired was my cousin's Glock 17 with the uncheckered grips. He brought over 500 rounds of assorted 9mm ammo ,both factory and reloads (jacketed and lead bullets), and that gun digested all without a hiccup. That experience plus the fact that the gun's ergonomics fit my hands just fine convinced me that the Glock was ,and is, the perfect gun for me:D

BUTCH48
April 15, 2001, 09:46 AM
Way to many to mention and not nearly enough to try. Right now it's an SP-101 .357 Magnum.

Bob Locke
April 15, 2001, 12:54 PM
The first gun I ever bought for myself was a Sig P239 in 9mm. Carried it for about three years, and absolutely loved it.

After working through my thought process a little, I decided that I really wanted a number of different guns that had the "same" trigger in them. I now own a Glock 21 (house) and a Glock 19 (carry) that both have 3.5 lb. triggers in them. I couldn't be happier.

Of my "list" (yes, I actually sat down and made one a few years ago), the only thing I have left to buy is a nice revolver in .357 magnum.

tyro
April 15, 2001, 02:13 PM
Just one: a Taurus Tracker, which was not too bad a gun, but the instruction manual said dry-firing would be bad for it, and I intended to do a lot of dry firing. So I took it back to the dealer and traded it for a Remington 870 Police Magnum.

I read on TFL that the Ruger instruction manual actually encourages unlimited dry firing, so I bought a LNIB KGP-141 that was offered for sale on TFL. The TFL member who sold me the KGP-141 also referred me to Jack Weigand, who ported for me the KGP-141, installed Ashley Outdoors combat sights, and did a precision action job on the trigger. After only a week of dry firing the Weigand enhanced GP-100, I completed CCW instruction with such tight groups hugging the X's on the silhouttes, that the instructor said I had to be "an experienced shooter". The credit goes to the gun, and the encouragement Ruger gave me to dry fire it night and day throughout the preceeding week.

Today, I got an e-mail from Jack Weigand saying that tomorrow he will ship my order for a KSP 321XL with ported barrel, Ashley Outdoors Big Dot Tritium front sight and a precision action job on the trigger.

Thanks to TFL and Jack Weigand, my 2nd and 3rd handguns (GP 100 and SP 101) are lifetime keepers.

ojibweindian
April 15, 2001, 02:39 PM
I went through a Taurus PT92, Taurus M-608, and a S&W 457 before I finally found the Ruger P95. I do like some other pistols, like the Glock M19, but found that the Ruger fits my hand better than almost any other that I have handled, with the exception of the EAA Witness. The next pistol I would buy, or trade for, would be one of these, or the CZ 75.

MrBlonde
April 15, 2001, 06:08 PM
All guns are the right gun for me:). Sure I will have a favorite, but they are all good, unless they are crappy. You know what I am talking about. EhemLorcinEhem.

RHC
April 15, 2001, 06:17 PM
About ten, but I'm not sure I have the right carry gun even today, though I have a Taurus 85, a Glock 26, and Kel-tec P32. Before I buy anything else I'm going to wait and see if Glock or Kahr comes out with a small polymer single stack.

But I have been married to same woman for 13 years!

CSAY
April 16, 2001, 07:42 AM
For me,the search is never really over. I love the 1911,
although,I shoot others better. I shoot Glocks very well,
but it's plastic. I haven't been able to get past that. The
Sig's slide release and decocker are,for some reason,
awkward to me. Ruger's are a little bulky. I could go on
because I've tried everything. The point is,in my experience
I find good points in several,but not one that has it all.
If I weren't so stubborn I would just stick with a Glock.
Something about an American-made 1911 that always makes me
come back.

Camshaft
April 16, 2001, 09:40 PM
buy a glock and youll never have to buy another handgun again.

WoundChannel
April 16, 2001, 11:08 PM
When I was younger my father bought me a Ruger Security Six. When I was old enough with the means, I researched somewhat and bought a Sig P226. It was reliable and accurate but a little too big for ccw IMHO. So I went and bought a Sig P228. Great little double action auto. Nice fit, reliable and accurate. When I started practicing more and taking some handgun courses, the double action first shot just never felt right. After checking out some more brands and models, I decided on the Glock 19. Simple, same trigger shot to shot, reliable, accurate, more rugged, and cost much less than Sigs. Some time later I had to sell the G19, but when I had the means again, I bought a G19. Oh, I forgot to mention the 9mm Firestar a friend gave to me when he found out I sold my first G19. Suprisingly good little pistol. Felt like a brick, never had a malfunction, built like a tank, excellent for being free. I would not doubt it ever surviving a shot with a squib in the barrel.

croyance
April 17, 2001, 11:35 PM
Camshaft, you know it isn't about needing to buy another gun that keeps us going.

EricM
April 18, 2001, 05:10 AM
Beretta 96 -> HK USPC45 -> KelTec P11 for concealed carry :).

Thumb break belt slide -> Kydex IWB -> SmartCarry for holsters.

Herr Walther
April 18, 2001, 05:16 AM
I never met a Walther I didn't like.

lucky085
April 18, 2001, 05:33 AM
A Sig P228 with Crimson trace grips. If the mugger runs out-side when I'm chasing him I might just give him a heart attack if nothing else if he gets a "laser tag".