PDA

View Full Version : CZ 527 American

kerth
April 12, 2001, 06:53 AM
Saw one of these at a sporting goods store yesterday, cal .223 rem. It's action is very compact and apears to be well made. Barrel is quite light contour, probably would heat up quickly. Has an interesting (and adjustable) set trigger, push forward on the single trigger to set, brush it with your finger, CLICK. Looks like a good walking varmiter.

Anyone had experience with this rifle or CZ in general, as in accuracy, durability, warranty, customer service, etc?

Didn't recognize the receiver grooves either, looks like a approximately .5" dovetail. Where do I find rings for this?

Anyone know the rifling twist rate?

As you can tell, CZ's website and the counter salesman were not much help. Any and all opinions welcome, especially those with personal experience.

Thanks in advance,
Kerth

JR in PA
April 12, 2001, 07:56 AM
Kerth
I have used a 527 in .222 Rem for the last 2 years. In my area its all the woodchuck gun needed. You are right about the barrel heating up, but mine will print 3/4", 3 shot 100 yd. goups all day if you let it cool (this is not a target rifle). The set trigger is great, but be careful when wearing gloves. Ring came with my rifle, but I have heard that some shops remove them from the box and sell them at additional cost. I've had no problems with it for the 500 plus rounds fired. Feeding and chambering was stiff at first but smooth out nicely. IMO this is the ideal varmit rifle for my type of hunting (lots of walking,200 yd. shots max.) The only negative I can think of is the length of tthe mag. keeps the OAL to factory spec. I would buy another one.

PJR
April 12, 2001, 08:48 AM
During my rifle buying and trading phase I owned one of these for about 6 months. My accuracy matched JRs, about 3/4" at 100 yards for 3 rounds of factory. It was a light handy rifle that had two downfalls. First, the lips on the factory magazines were very sharp and scored the brass so severely that I was hesitant to reload it. I took the mags back to the shop where the smith did a fine job of smoothing the lips.

Secondly, I couldn't get the set trigger adjusted to the point where the non-set was a reasonable pull and the set wasn't too light. I would prefer a good non-set trigger that could be adjusted to about 2-1/2 lbs for a walking around varmint rifle.

Both of these points didn't stop me from using the gun for a summer shooting groundhogs and other varmints of opportunity and like several other rifles during this phase it was traded off for no other reason than a desire to try something new.

MAD
April 12, 2001, 09:30 AM
I've been looking at one of these little guns myself. They are interesting because of the compact size and the way they scaled everything proportionally to look and feel right. I read A very poor review about them in GUN TEST that has discouraged me from buying one. Some problems with lite primer hits and cartridge feeding. Still have that itch to buy it anyway. It feels like the gun and 223 cartridge were made for each other.

Spectre
April 12, 2001, 08:31 PM
I'd go 7.62x39mm, for a dandy little ranch or stalk rifle.

Stephen A. Camp
April 13, 2001, 04:09 PM
Hello. I own a 527 in .223Remington. don't know the twist.
Shoots 50 gr Winchester BallisticSilvertips into 3/8" on still day at 100yrds. Trigger very usable, but not as good as a 700 trigger. Can be set and/or adjusted.

Dandy little guns.

Best.