PDA

View Full Version : hunting with a red dot scope

fulltlt
April 11, 2001, 09:07 AM
Has anyone had problems with the battery going dead on a red dot scope while hunting? Do you turn it off until game comes along and then fumble with it to turn it on or do you leave it on all the time? How long do batteries last in these things typically?

Turk
April 11, 2001, 11:36 AM
I've used a red dot for years on my handguns when hunting deer. Never had one run out of juice and hunt for 5 days straight. When I'm setting I have it turned off with the gun in my lap. If I see a deer I turn it on as I raise the handgun. When I'm walking (very slowly) I always have it turned on and ready to go.

At the beginning of each season I replace the battery.

I know that doesn't answer your question for the length but some you could do is put in a new battery and leave the RD turned on and time it. One thing to remember if its colder they won't last as long.

Turk

ArmySon
April 16, 2001, 02:55 AM
The batteries will last you quite a long time. That is, unless you constantly forget to turn the scope off after a range session. I always use fresh batteries right before the season opens.

jtduncan
April 16, 2001, 03:07 PM
I carry a spare battery just in case.

fulltlt
April 16, 2001, 03:12 PM
I will carry a spare battery too but don't want to be caught looking at the buck of a lifetime standing in front of me while I'm fiddling with changing a battery.

dZ
April 16, 2001, 03:15 PM
in that case you have the worlds largest ghost ring sight
center mr deer's vitals in the tube and fire

prolly worth a few pre season practice rounds sans battery power at the range