PDA

View Full Version : My good M1A deal, or, Am I a rifleman yet?

Ledbetter
April 10, 2001, 01:06 AM
Greetings,

I'm a handgun sort of a shooter. Well, I took delivery of my first "battle rifle" last week, a Springfield Armory "loaded" with a walnut stock and a stainless national match barrel. Fellow TFL member Noban and I headed up to the range on Sunday and made a bunch of little holes in the black parts of the paper at 100 yards with the iron sights.

What a dream. The recoil seemed sudden but mild. The accuracy was great from a front sandbag.

The deal: I'd been looking for a rifle like this and saw an ad for the gun, California legal, on a site called battlerifles.com. The day after the ad posted, I called the guy. The rifle was unfired. It had been disassembled, the packing grease removed, reassembled and greased, and then the guy had a car accident and decided to sell it before he fired it. The Springfield coupon for $150 in free stuff was included, and they already sent my magazines and stuff to me!! I got about $200 to $300 off the retail price of the rifle and paid no sales tax, but I had to drive 600 miles round trip.

Anyway, I shot Radford Green arsenal 1989 7.62 NATO ammo which worked great for me. Iron sights were easy to hit with. Had a little trouble with my ARMS scope mount not being high enough in front, but I think I got it adjusted right when I got home. Guess I'll have to head on back up and make some more brass. I'll report on the Leatherwood Sporter ART scope when I "gather more data."

Woo Hoo,

Ledbetter

Dave P
April 10, 2001, 06:38 AM
That's too bad that you now have a rifle to shoot. 'Cause you will probably start obssessing about shooting smaller and smaller groups, and then all hope is lost!

Hope you have a good paying job for all the ammo!

Dave

Noban
April 10, 2001, 09:44 AM
It was truly embarrassing to see a grown man grin so much!

Steve Smith
April 10, 2001, 12:32 PM
No grasshopper, to be a rifleman you must be able to command any target within 500 yards with any rifle, from any position. (don't ask me if I can do this yet) Look in a SGN for Fred's, and get his "How to be a rifleman" guide...it'll get you going.

Q-Man
April 10, 2001, 03:01 PM
Ledbetter,
I'd like to hear more about your scope when you get to try it out. I'm considering putting a scope on my M1A and would like to know how it works out for you.

What rings are you using with the ARMS mount and what size of objective lens is the scope?

Rokchukrslave
April 10, 2001, 07:06 PM
Poor M1A, went through all that accurizing just to be fed Radway Green...talk about a $100 saddle on a $20 horse!
Have fun with it.

Ledbetter
April 10, 2001, 11:26 PM
I'm a new owner, enlighten me please. I also shot 40 rounds of Federal Match 168 gr. HPBT. Nicer groups, I must admit. Any suggestions for quality mil-surp .308 NATO?

MIKE14
April 11, 2001, 06:31 AM
My M1A likes Hirtenberger, its reloadable I have had good results with Israeli TZ-80 headstamped stuff If you want to shoot well get a press and a set of RCBS small base dies and find a load that your rifle likes. Mine shoots well with 46.1 grains of IMR 4064 with a Sierra 155 Palma bullet.
You are hooked theres no turning back now.
Best regards