PDA

View Full Version : Gunsmithing Courses

dHarper
March 31, 2001, 10:37 AM
I am interested in taking a gunsmithing course, but unfortunately, living in Texas; there are no actual schools within a reasonable distance. I was wondering if there was a consensus on correspondence schools and what that opinion was. Are there any that are better than the others? I have received info from Modern Gun School, PCDI, Foley-Belsaw Institute and will be receiving info from AGI within the next few days. I am leaning towards AGI because of the added benefit of being on video and not just books. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

4V50 Gary
March 31, 2001, 12:53 PM
Start with the basics: learn how to use a lathe and milling machine at a local jr. college. Skill with these two will serve you well as a gunsmith when you want to rebarrel a rifle, or cut a barrel blank to match a gun, or even inletting a stock as preparation for glass bedding. It's a good foundation and the stuff they'll show you in a correspondence course cannot possibly include these things.

Also suggest you learn to silver solder, weld and tig weld. The latter is especially useful for restoration work. These are all skills which a gunsmith should have.