PDA

View Full Version : Time for some brutal honesty...

Zander
March 29, 2001, 08:46 PM
Here's your assignment:

You have to go in harm's way.

Choose one new, in-the-box, semi-auto pistol on which you will bet your life.

You have no idea what type of ammo will be available to you; it could be $2/round frangibles or mil-surp for a sub-gun.

You have no choice but to take the pistol out of the box and use it with nothing more than a basic lube and loading it with whatever ammo you can acquire.

What pistol? And what caliber? You must give at least a brief explanation...and be prepared to defend your choice.

Carry on!

Rex Feral
March 29, 2001, 08:52 PM
H&K USP .45. H&K USPs and Beretta 92s are the only handguns that have consistently run without a hitch for me right out of the box. I picked the USP .45 because, per your scenario, I could be stuck with ball ammo.

jbetz
March 29, 2001, 08:53 PM
No question in my mind. Beretta 92FS in 9mm. This gun has proven itself a hundred times over in testing scenarios and has passed (and surpassed other weapons). I personally have yet to experience a single failure of any kind through mine (purchased in fall of '99) with over 2500 rounds through it. I know lots of beretta users can top my young numbers but the fact is that the 92FS has earned my respect but most importantly my trust.

Andy

Runner
March 29, 2001, 09:14 PM
Glock M23

I do go in harms way and I do bet my life on it! ;)

ahenry
March 29, 2001, 09:15 PM
Chalk another one up for the USP. Pretty much the reasons Rex said.

Gravity
March 29, 2001, 09:18 PM
Wouldn't be a new in the box one I'd choose. It would be one that has proven itself to me over time as reliable.
In that case it would be my Beretta 92fs.

Joe Klug
March 29, 2001, 09:18 PM
First choice would be a CZ75 in 9mm. Second would be HK USP 45. Both are built like a tank, have been proven to shoot anything available and are accurate. I'd like to add the CZ97 to that list (also in .45ACP) but I want a bit more time trying it out before doing so. (So far it's been perfect but I've only had it for 2 months)

Joe

HKUSP45C
March 29, 2001, 09:19 PM
Thats is simple assignment. My USP45C. But, if high caps are available in this senario, then my P229 9mm, USP9, or Glock 19 depending on which hi-cap mag is easier to get.
ST

RikWriter
March 29, 2001, 09:20 PM
If it's ball ammo, I gotta go with .45ACP. And if it's .45ACP, I have to go with a 1911 because I have had jams out of every other 45 design I have ever fired except for factory 1911s. And of the factory 1911s on the market, I have the most rounds through Kimbers, and all of them without a jam. So I would pick a Kimber, probably a Classic Stainless since I would not be able to sight adjustable sights in on a Gold Match before carrying the gun.

ED CHAVEZ
March 29, 2001, 09:52 PM
Ruger P-90 .45ACP

ED CHAVEZ
March 29, 2001, 09:55 PM
Even tho people flame this firearm, and they say it is too big and bulky. It is a fine handgun and fits me perfectly, it is the Ruger P-90 .45ACP. I like the attitude of Ruger Co, well in the building of firearms anyways. They use the K.I.S.S. method. I like that.

I done extensive testing with this firearm like, rapid fire with Wolf ammo and a 10rd magazine, shot every type of aftermarket ammo(Best brands first then I shot American Eagle, CCI Blazer and shotshell, all purpose Tracer ammo, PMC, Ultramax, 3D ammo red box, American Ammunition "clear package") and military ammo(1942 .45auto ball ammo) and obcourse the good ammo and +P and +P+ stuff. Well you get the picture, I shot all the ammo I could get my hands on. I have shot over 10,000rds on this P-90, and I have never experience any trouble or signs of wear and tear. Other test I have done on this gun is drop test at 6 feet and water(no salt-water), dirt, sand and mud test. Other test included overheating of the gun, after rapid fire I keep-on loading the P-90, 500rds in 15minutes. Other test included lead test, I leaded the barrel with Lead Semi-Wadcutter ammo(250rds), 3D ammo obcourse. After leading the barrel, I check the accuracy; it was weird but my accuracy improve after leading the barrel, I got 1 inch to 2 inch groups@15yards, I was also shooting a bowling pin(it was dancing if you know what I mean). Other test included field stripping the firearm, the firearm stripped into 5 pieces, easy to put back. And testing continues with loading the firearm with different aftermarket magazines(Pro-mag, USA mags) and shooting with them. Another test was changing the barrel with other .45ACP barrels that fit the P-90, like the ported barrel, threaded barrel, and standard aftermarket barrel. Anyways this firearm has gone to hell with me and back, and it still shoots the same even after all this extensive testing and torture. And with the Hogue grips it looks even better and feels better.

Anyways that is it; my firearm of choice is the P-90. That is why I own a P-90TH. And the warranty/guarantee ain't bad either, Davidsons offers lifetime guarantee and Ruger Co, will replace the firearm if any part brakes or it malfunctions. And I am thinking of buying that P-97DAO, they say it is better than the P-90. I have to extensively test that firearm(P-97)too. I also have a HK USP compact .45ACP. That is another firearm I would trust. Anyways Later-on.

[Edited by ED CHAVEZ on 03-29-2001 at 10:16 PM]

GSB
March 29, 2001, 10:14 PM
I'll add my voice to the HK USP .45 advocates. I've heard here of problems with the 9mm version, but the .45 just plain runs. And runs. And runs. It seemingly eats anything and I've never experienced any failures. None. Needless to say, it's my defend-the-homestead pistol.

I suspect my Beretta Elite II will prove equally as reliable, but as was mentioned before, in this scenario I might get stuck with ball ammo, and if I'm forced to use that, I want a .45.

Marko Kloos
March 29, 2001, 10:34 PM
A Browning HP, or a Glock 17.

Both are proven and reliable designs that are known to digest any kind of ammo. Both are chambered in an extremely common caliber, with ammo available anywhere in the world. Since it wasn't specified where I'd have to go into harm's way, I'd want a sidearm in a common caliber...it's kind of hard to get .40S&W or .45ACP in many parts of the world, but every village gunsmith or arms bazaar has 9mm surplus ammo available.

Mike Irwin
March 29, 2001, 10:38 PM
Well, my ULTIMATE choice would be a Smith & Wesson Model 19 revolver in .357 Magnum.

However, if I were forced to choose an off-the-shelf semi-auto, based on what I've seen over the years it would have to be a Glock. Preferably .45, as they tend to fit my hand just a little bit better.

Christopher II
March 29, 2001, 10:41 PM
CZ85, the fixed-sight model.

It's bombproof reliable with every time of ammo I've ever tried, it fits my hand, and (most importantly) I hit what I aim at when I'm shooting it. The trigger on the CZ85 is just a bit better than the standard CZ75, which would be my second choice.

Later,
Chris

ojibweindian
March 29, 2001, 10:47 PM
Ruger P-95. Eats everything, tough, reliable, and accurate.

Drakejake
March 29, 2001, 10:49 PM
Ed Chavez has nice things to say about his Ruger .45 despite its alleged bulk and lack of beauty. I should point out that many of the smaller autos are DAO and not as accurate or easy to shoot as the big Rugers, most of which are available double action, single action. Yes, the Ruger is big and heavy but many of its competitor models are equally big and heavy, and a number are considerably bigger and heavier than the Rugers. Concerning the beauty of the firearms, that is a personal judgment. Many people don't care what a tool such as a firearm looks like. Appearance does make a difference to me. I like the looks of the stainless, all metal Rugers (I have the P89 and the P90). To me they look strong and military. I just put Hogue grips on mine and think that they improve looks as well as utility. But a major factor for me is price: the Rugers are $100 to $250 cheaper than a number of comparable models. My P90 cost $375; the lowest prices I have seen on the Glock 21 are $550 at the gun shows. (I did see one for $500.) And I got factory high cap mags for the P89 for $40, about half the price of factory high cap mags for Glocks. So good quality at a reasonable price is a good thing.

Drakejake

Archer1440
March 29, 2001, 11:10 PM
HK USP .45. Full stop, end of story.:)

CD1
March 29, 2001, 11:47 PM
Sig P220 .45 ACP. Engineered reliability.

krept
March 29, 2001, 11:51 PM
USP .45, but it would be heartbreaking to ding it up ;)

and 230gr FMJs...

RT
March 29, 2001, 11:57 PM
I have fired many, many rounds through my USP straight out of the box. Zero problems.

Tamara
March 30, 2001, 12:03 AM
I'd be equally happy with any Glock, full-size Beretta, HK squeeze-cocker, or P-series SIG (less the .380's).

In over 15 years of shooting, I could count the cumulative number of jams I've had on all those guns without needing to take off both socks.

I guess that, push come to shove, I'd make it the G17. Ironic, since I've never shelled out my own hard-earned $$$ for a 9mm Glock, but they're pretty much bomb-proof, have the fewest bits 'n' pieces to break or get lost, hold a bunch 'o bullets in a world-wide common caliber and edge out the other competitors in the all-important tent-peg-hammer and wheel-chock competitions, both of which are more common uses for a pistol in combat zones than actually, you know, shooting at folks with it.

oktagon
March 30, 2001, 12:07 AM
OK, if the "task" is anywhere in the world, I have to choose the calibre that is avialeble. 9mm would be a safe beat. .45 would be OK in US, South and Central America, and may be Africa, but Europe, Asia and ME are nor very .45 rich. Now the gun... Well, you can either go for capacity or for the reliability with ALL types of ammo, or both. Sounds like HK P7M13 :)

Claywms
March 30, 2001, 12:19 AM
The Ruger P95, specifically, would get my vote. I never shot well until I shot one of these. More accurate than me and never jammed once in over 2,000 rounds. This is the pistol that made me a confident shooter.

BTW, Tamara, your post about the Glock 17 cracked me up!

WoundChannel
March 30, 2001, 12:48 AM
...would do just fine. Rugged, reliable, weather resistant, universal caliber, and oh so pretty. So, you're saying you know in advance that you're about to participate in a gunfight, and you're picking a handgun?

Jeff OTMG
March 30, 2001, 01:29 AM
Since it might be ball that makes it a .45. Since it might be sub-gun stuff I want a stainless SIG P220 and the only way to get that now is with a P220 Sport. That is my choice.

Phillip
March 30, 2001, 03:30 AM
The pistol I carry on my duty rig is my SIG Sauer 226 .40 or 9mm, or 229 .357. The caliber makes no difference to me, so long as it's one of those.

sig970
March 30, 2001, 03:52 AM
Daytime Nighttime Rain or Shine.

Beretta model 96 Border Marshal .40 S&W with Trijicon NS.

It is the only gun I have ever shot that has never had a failure of anykind. Smooth, Reliable, Accurate. I know that EVERY time I pull the trigger, It will deliver a bullet exactly where I want it. I would trust my life with this weapon.

Enough said

Coug
March 30, 2001, 04:15 AM
G17. Simple, Reliable, Durable, LE Proven, more accurate than I am, High Capacity if you get the groovy mags. There is quite a bit to commend it. That's my opinion. -Coug

jimmy
March 30, 2001, 05:35 AM
Take the pistol right out of the box, lube it, and use it for personal defense with *no* test firing?

For me, it'll have to be a Beretta 92FS. Big fan though I am of SIGs, Glocks, etc., I've had to ship each to its factory service department because of some type of reliability problem. Never a Beretta--at least, not so far. :)

denfoote
March 30, 2001, 06:28 AM
Glock 30 45ACP. Glock perfection. No contest!!!!

jar
March 30, 2001, 07:14 AM
No question and supported by the recent Ohio pistol studies. A Sig 226. If that wasn't available then a BHP. If that wasn't available then the following in order:

Sig 225
Sig 229
Sig 220
Sig 228
SigPro
FN HP
Sig 230/232
HS2000
FEG PJK
FM HP
Arcus 94
S&W 5906
CZ 75 BD
CZ 75
Beretta 92F
any HK
any Colt or clone
any Steyr
any Star
any S&W that was more than 10 years old
a Jennings
a Glock

Bullshooter
March 30, 2001, 07:26 AM
Beretta Elite II in .40 S&W. Utterly reliable as are virtually all Beretta pistols. The .40 S&W has considerably more "pop" than its 9mm counterparts. Good sights, too.

Texaken
March 30, 2001, 07:35 AM
Colt 1991A1, it just plain works for me. Basic design, no frills, and in 45 too.

David Blinder
March 30, 2001, 08:28 AM
I'd go with either a Browning Hi-power or a .357 Ruger revolver. They use ammo that's easily available virtually anywhere, are reliable and built like tanks but parts should be easy to come by if needed.

Coronach
March 30, 2001, 09:01 AM
S&W .357 magnum. Revolvers are (generally) reliable and not ammo-specific. One finger misfire drill.

Mike

EDIT: whoops. Just read the semi-automatic part. Hmmm. A BHP, then. They have their quirks, but ammo specificity doesn't seem to be one of them.

HokieShooter
March 30, 2001, 09:18 AM
My CZ-75b in 9mm. I have tried many types of ammo and have not had any problems. My gun is a proven bottle stopper. In fact yesterday i eliminated a whole pack of ferocious 20 oz Sprite bottles along with their villainous beer can leaders. Seriously though this is the best firearm i have ever fired and it is accurate beyond any ablity i have.

Master Blaster
March 30, 2001, 09:24 AM
Ruger P-89 with 15 rounders.
Tough accurate but not as sexy as my 1911's

David Scott
March 30, 2001, 09:25 AM
I love my P95, but if I were not sure about available ammo, I would go for what makes the biggest hole -- the P97. Same basic gun, but in .45ACP.

RWK
March 30, 2001, 10:05 AM
Full-sized Sig (P-220 in .45ACP or P-226 in .357 Sig). However, if the question's ground-rules permitted, a Ruger KGP-141 revolver (the four-inch barrel GP-100) in .357 magnum.

CastleBravo
March 30, 2001, 10:06 AM
Any Glock or Sig, I'm not picky. Shot both, like both. 100% functional out of the box. Forced to choose I'd take a Glock 20, since I already have one and am more familiar with it. No Beretta, please. I'm sure they make a nice pistol but my personal experiences with M9 "reliability" (about 1 in 3 was any good) was not heartwarming. I really like 1911s, but mine were more ammo-finicky than a Glock or Sig so for a "who knows what ammo" scenario I would prefer something else.

C.B.

Onslaught
March 30, 2001, 10:20 AM
OK, if I read ya right, I'm going in WITHOUT ammo, and I have to FIND it. If that's the case, then although it's my favorite cartridge, I would NOT want to take .40. If this IS the case, then I'd feel quite comfortable with an HK full sized .45 like several others here. Second choice would be any full capacity 9mm Glock.

Reason I wouldn't take a .40? Harder to find if you gotta scrounge ammo.

Reason for those choices? My HK has never had work done to it, and it's never missed a beat. .45 might be hardball, so the bigger the better. I say the 9mm as a second because Glock is a no-malfunction no-brainer. I don't own one, but I've fired SEVERAL, and never had a problem. Also, it is my personal opinion that 9mm is THE most prevalent handgun caliber in the WORLD, so finding it would be easiest, but I'd want the extra round-count in the full cap mag.

If I'm wrong about having to scrounge the ammo, then I'd prefer an HK USP40f or Glock 22 or 23 in .40.

Greg G
March 30, 2001, 10:52 AM
HK USP Fullsize 9mm

RON in PA
March 30, 2001, 11:10 AM
In this situation ammo is the main factor and 9x19mm is the most likely pistol and smg ammo out there.

Pistol choices are based on my own experiences with guns owned and all listed will get the job done. I've left out excellent pistols like Sigs or Hks because of lack of handling. Listed in order of preference for combat pistol, but I could live with any of them.

1-Glock 17/19
2-CZ 75B
3-Beretta 92FS
4-FN Hipower
5-Ruger 89/95
6-Walther P-38

One more thought: Suppose you were dropped into an area that had been in the former Soviet sphere of influence. Wouldn't you want a 9x18 Makarov?

Birch
March 30, 2001, 11:14 AM
Well... I re-read the opening line several times. The original post said "type" of ammo not caliber. If it was type and not caliber, G29. Size + velocity always a winner.

If i had to scrounge for ammo period, BHP.

Cheers!

Birch

Coop57
March 30, 2001, 11:45 AM
If I had my choice for right out of the box weapon it would be a Ruger GP100 .357 Mag. But since the game is to be played with a semi auto I would choose:

Glock 17 with Mepro NS
Glock 19 with Mepro NS
CZ 75B - I can't make it jam and I've tried hard.
Ruger P97
SIG 229 40S&W
SIG 220

ddt4free
March 30, 2001, 11:46 AM
You sig and "bic lighter", I mean Glock fans, are just jealous that you spent more for less.

I know you are looking for semi-auto pistol but Working my way down to the semi-auto it goes like this.

12 gauge Pump rem 870 or moss 5**
"with or without lube Who cares!"

Ak-47 Takes a lickin and keep's on kickin!
"lube? Apply dish soap and garden hose ot make bubbles"

Suckin Wind Mod 19 .357 6inch.
"A true instrument of Pleasure. Won't own one now though, Damn Shame too"

Cz-75b 9mm "Cz75b says it all".

How one of the posters can put a crusty hammer marked FEG hipower above a CZ I'll NEVER understand. -ddt

Don S
March 30, 2001, 01:43 PM
My choice would be a revolver, preferbly a S&W M-25.

Barring that, probably a Glock or a USP.

I'm a 1911 type of guy, but I'd expect better reliability from an off the shelf Glock or USP (although all guns jam, and all companies produce lemons). Besides, I'm left handed and most off the shelf 1911s are not.

If I could test fire it first, I'd go with a 1911. And if I could choose any handgun, it would be my Springfield 1911, fer sure.

Maatulf
March 30, 2001, 01:56 PM
I have another vote for the Glock 19. I don't currently own one, but I have, and I don't think there is another 9mm out there that can beat it. You can beat the crap out of it, and like the ad says about Timex, it keeps on ticking. I like the hi-cap advantage, I like the compact size, and I like the ruggedness and reliability.

.357SIG
March 30, 2001, 02:15 PM
Glock 17.

When it comes down to durability and such, I'd pick the G17 over any of my others.

Seppeku
March 30, 2001, 02:46 PM
I am absolutely blown away at all the comments here and not one person has mentioned the Beretta Cougar 8045F!!!!

This gun was perfection right out of the box. As soon as I got it, I took it apart, cleaned it, and put it back together dry as a bone. Fired 5000 rounds of all kinds of ammo including reloaded SWC and it feed them all without a problem. The accuracy is awesome, the feel is like a Colt SAA in your hand.

So flame away and tell me why this gun has not been mentioned!!!

Steve

mbott
March 30, 2001, 03:35 PM
Today, it would be a Ruger P97 in .45 caliber. It is my current favorite. However, I just received a new CZ 75 B in .40 caliber, and once I get a couple thousand more rounds through it, I believe it will take the place of the Ruger.

--
Mike

George Hill
March 30, 2001, 03:40 PM
http://www.users.qwest.net/~hgeorge8/images/SpringfieldTRP.jpg

Reliability and Accuracy. Thats all I need.

viesczy
March 30, 2001, 04:04 PM
I'd have to go with the BHP in 9mm. Ammo is everywhere and the pistol is one the most widely made/cloned pistol in existence. Finger there's 13 rounds in the mag. If 13 rounds doesn't solve my problems, I'm having a bad day!

After that it would be a CZ75.

I am NOT a huge proponent of the 9mm, but sometimes it is the most logical choice.

Derek

44rugerfan
March 30, 2001, 04:05 PM
Ruger P95 in 9mm. Followed by the P97 in 45. Followed by the Glock 17.

Gremlin
March 30, 2001, 04:19 PM
I have purchased ten new handguns. I usually do nothing more than take them out of the box, check the barrel for blockages, run a swab down 'em, and load 'em up.

Only two of the ten have shot aces with the first magazine:

Beretta 8045F .45acp.

HK USP40c .40 S&W.

Given your circumstances as listed, those would be the two I'd reccomend trusting your life to.

PS: The others that took longer to sight in or suffered failures to feed straight out of the box were:
A) CZ 75B
B) Sig 225
C) Ruger P94
D) Ruger GP100
E) Springfield 1911A1 Loaded
F) Walther P99
G) Walther PPK
H) Ruger Mark II

Seppeku
March 30, 2001, 04:43 PM
Finally...

Thank you so much for giving just a little credit to an awesome firearm!!!!

Charmedlyfe
March 30, 2001, 07:34 PM
Unlike Runner, I don't go in harm's way.....I go out and find it, then kick it in the family jewels to get its attention. HK USP45 all the way. No Glock IMperfection needed here!!!!!

TCW
March 30, 2001, 07:44 PM
Sig P226 (.40S&W)
Ruger P97 .45
Sig P220 .45
HK USP .45
(If a revolver...Ruger GP100 4")

skevlar
March 30, 2001, 09:54 PM
Ya' said NIB but not "Box-Stock" so.........Any Jim Garthwaite 9 mm Hipower MK III or .45 ACP 5" Government Model 1911, I'll let him choose. Calibers based on most proven & widely available, Pistols on JMB & JG. I can guess the rest.

dawg23
March 30, 2001, 10:13 PM
Any GLOCK in 9mm, .40 S&W, or .45 ACP.

Reasons: Ask any of the Law Enforcement agencies out there that use them. Over 70% of law enforcement agencies in the US specify Glock for RELIABILITY. Nuff said

Runner
March 30, 2001, 11:50 PM
dawg23 is absolutely correct. Generally speaking there are only a few reasons agencies go to a different weapon:

Political: New Jersey SP -> S&W
Financial/Marketing: Texas DPS -> Free swap to .357 Sig
Tradition/Image: Sheriffs Depts -> 1911s
History Buffs/Absolutely broke: Revolvers
Personal Preference of Influential: All others not as above.

In the end, "70%" select Glock because they work every time and fit the KISS principle.

Phillip
March 31, 2001, 03:07 AM
70% huh?
Yeah, I guess the fact that LE agencies can buy Glocks for under $350 had nothing to do with it :rolleyes:

Runner
March 31, 2001, 04:11 AM
Phillip,
No that is not the reason, but it is a nice bonus after you get past performance and simplicity (KISS principle). If price were the primary reason, many departments would be armed with Lorcin, Phoenix, or Raven Arms pistols.

http://vpc.org/graphics/phoenix.jpg

:rolleyes: Back to ya ;)

notbubba
March 31, 2001, 05:03 AM
I would trust any of these three brands, almost any model. I listed what would be my first choice for each brand.
Sig Sauer P220 .45
HK USP .45
Glock 21 .45
Straight out if the box no problem.
Could you please send at least one of each to me so that I can test them for a couple of years:D
Just to see if I picked well;)

Phillip
March 31, 2001, 09:30 AM
Okay Runner, whatever you say :rolleyes:

SIG Sauer $575 FTE price
Glock $350 FTE price
You are the man holding the purse strings. Which is the pistol you choose to arm your department?
How about this one. You are a newly hired police officer looking to purchase your own duty pistol, something about S&W autos you don't like. So you go to the local LE supply store and see:
Beretta 92 $475
SIG Sauer 226 $600
Glock 22 $389
Which is it? The Glocks will (more or less) do what the Berettas and SIGs do (that is not in dispute) and do it for less $$$.
Don't try and tell me that cost is not a factor. :D

williamcrane
March 31, 2001, 09:42 AM
Ruger p97DC with .45 acp hardball.

Zander
March 31, 2001, 09:43 AM
"The others that took longer to sight in or suffered failures to feed..."

Are you under the mistaken impression that the factories ship pistols with proper lubing? :confused:

The only one that comes close, in my experience, is Kimber...and no 1911A1-type pistol of any make would be my first choice.

Indeed, my first choice is:

The SIG-Sauer P226 in 9mm...either model, in stainless or carbon steel slide, with a set of Trijicon night sights.

Great accuracy, superb dependability and an appetite for anything made in 9mmP.

Zander
March 31, 2001, 09:48 AM
"Don't try and tell me that cost is not a factor." -- Phillip

...that's why SIG markets the SIGpro 2340 and 2009 here.
The "Blue Line" packages are apparently quite popular with the LE bean counters.

revolvergeek
April 9, 2001, 05:11 PM
If I had to have an auto, my first choice Glock 19, second Beretta 92. Both work and feed everything, but the Glock would probably hold up better in really nasty enviroments, plus it would be a bit nicer to carry.

Of course, I would rather a S&W 686+ 3" RB with boot grips, but that was not an option. :-)

Camshaft
April 9, 2001, 05:59 PM
any full-size glock

JJCook
April 9, 2001, 07:58 PM
Yet another one for HK. I would walk into battle with my HK USP 40c any day of the week. Unlike any spouse or partner, she never complains, always does what's asked, and has a wicked punch! Thought I would throw a little humor into this one!!!

JJC

Tree Doc
April 9, 2001, 09:15 PM
It would have to be any of the 12 handguns in my locker!
The Smith & Wessons both Revolvers and Semi's, the Beretta's, the Rugers both Revolvers and Semi's, the Springfields, and well.....maybe not the little Colt 22, she shoots a little high but never misfires or misfeeds! Any one of them would do or they wouldn't be in my locker.:p

fulltlt
April 9, 2001, 10:01 PM
I really like the CZ 75 Compact 9mm. Personal preference is the reason for my choice nothing else.

Tree Doc
April 9, 2001, 11:00 PM
Phillip,
You hit the nail on the head....BIG TIME! Glock has a tremendous buy back program. They come in and buy out older service weapons (glocks included) and practically give away the new ones, huge discounts to the agencies. They have such a huge following that it all pays off in the long run. Look at all the people that buy Glocks because "....if law enforcement uses them......" Glocks are very good weapons but thier business practices have boosted them probably more than anything!

quantico
April 10, 2001, 01:25 AM
I think it would be my sig P-220 . Also fine would be my glock 21 / HK USP 45 / or the springfield FBI 45 -1911 . Any of them would be fine. I would choose the sig first because they feel so good in my hand and make me confident .

WESHOOT2
April 10, 2001, 05:39 AM
Based on your specific criteria, the only correct answer (not opinion) is the Beretta 92.

Shudder.

If I could pick what I prefer it would be a 1911 or CZ75/EAA Witness.

----------------------------------

"all my opinions are factory opinions"

Dan in GA
April 10, 2001, 10:02 PM
P220 in .45ACP is my choice, but would take any SIG in the box....Dan in GA

VonFatman
April 11, 2001, 10:31 PM
If I had to take one, only one, I'd take my Tactical .45
(but I would not loose a minute's sleep with about any Glock)

mikey357
April 11, 2001, 10:48 PM
Well, since the hypothetical situation posed here requires an AUTOPISTOL, I'd have to go with the Beretta 92 or the Browning Hi-Power...honorable mention to the Glock 17 or 19 and the metal-framed Sig's in 9mm...if the choices were ANY handgun, I'd have chosen a Smith and Wesson 686 Plus .357 Magnum...FWIW....mikey357

BigMike
April 11, 2001, 11:20 PM
Beretta 92 Brigadier, 9mm

Mike

Drundel
April 12, 2001, 12:03 AM
H&K Socom .45.

JAFO216
April 13, 2001, 01:07 PM
A Colt 1991 five inch new in the box , had five they all worked with everything i fed em .

I know I will catch some dirt on this but a ruger p-90 is hard to beat for durability also .

I like colts because they are the only gun you can fully service with their own parts in the feild . though i have never had to service such a perfect weapon .

S&W 24
April 13, 2001, 03:39 PM
It wouldn't matter what gun because they are all tools that can be made to do the job. With proper training any working
handgun will work. How ever I do have my favorites. If it was any gun in the world a Texas Longhorn Arms no.5 single action in 44mag 5.5" bbl. I can repair an SAA type gun with
a handful of parts and it can opperate with some parts missing or broken. It can fire any type of ammo be it blackpowder or uncle cannon busters handloads. If I was limited to any auto available I would pick a G17 or G22. Again I can fix them with a few parts and I shoot glocks better than most autos. I would go with 9mm if I had to find other peoples ammo if I brought my own 40S&W.

Spectre
April 13, 2001, 09:13 PM
If ammo is readily available, first choice is Glock 24.
If ammo is in short supply, Glock 17 or 18.

dalpra
April 13, 2001, 10:32 PM
Another vote for the Beretta 92 series. Reliable as all hell and accurate. The new Elite II is developing quite a fine reputation as a stock service gun. That would likely be my choice, but any of the 92 guns (9mm) would be fine.

Silent-1
April 13, 2001, 11:22 PM
My Sig P226 9mm.

Shootin' Shane
April 14, 2001, 01:47 AM
Sig Sauer P229 in .40

LBC
April 14, 2001, 06:02 AM
Glock 17.

PeterGunn
April 15, 2001, 01:51 AM
SIG-Sauer P225 9mm

When it comes to out of the box reliability (open box, load magazine, insert magazine, cycle slide, and pull trigger), Sig is very tough to beat, if not unbeatable.

8 rounds is more than enough for a man who knows what he is doing. But I'll take a couple of reloads thank you very much!!!

The 225 is what the 239 will never be on its best day. Simply the smoothest 9mm anywhere...and for those who claim we who buy PREMIUM weapons spend to much and should buy CZ, Ruger, etc...

I only spent a little over $400.00 for a 225 NIB!!!!

Have a nice day!!!

xtrarnds
April 15, 2001, 09:12 AM
I wouldn't hesitate to take one of my Glock 21s. Absolutely reliable with all kinds of ammo and plenty of firepower with the standard capacity mags.

muzzletalk
April 15, 2001, 02:22 PM
I have had very good luck with my kimber 1911. .45 ammo is still available just about anywhere.

twin Sigs
April 15, 2001, 03:20 PM
Any Sig

MrBlonde
April 15, 2001, 06:01 PM
Colt 1911A1 .45ACP. Whatever the no-frills model is. Time-tested proven reliability. Shoots about anything you can find to put in it. Basic design and ease of handling. Funny thing is, I would probably not recommend one as a first gun for a new gun buyer, but I would use one in this type of situation.

MP-5
April 15, 2001, 09:28 PM
Beretta 92F
Reliability-bar none
Ammo availability anywhere in the world
Hi-cap.
Low Recoil, fast follow up shots

Enough said!

Gonzo_308
April 16, 2001, 06:13 PM
Well, I think I'm gonna go with this smallish Sig 228 in 9mm. The ammo is like Visa "Everywhere you want to be" (and some places you don't) it's a small enough pistol that it could be carried concealed easily. Cleaned easily and hey, nobody can SERIOUSLY knock the reliability. If I'm forced to carry what I need instead of what I want there it is.