PDA

View Full Version : Newbie questions on an all around gun...

MAURICE
March 27, 2001, 10:46 PM
Hi,
I am currently browsing for my first firearm,a rifle,and have been told to go the way of the Ruger 10/22. I will.
But I also would like a gun that can be carried around in my truck and brought out for recreational shooting and hunting.
Im looking for something higher than .22 caliber,however. I was thinking possibly .270. Anyone have some recommendations?I would like something upgradable, so later I can install bi-pods, higher quality scope, better barrels,etc.
Thanks,
MAURICE

USGuns
March 27, 2001, 11:03 PM
How about a Ruger PC Carbine:
http://www.ruger-firearms.com/rfpages/pc-carbinetext.html

sig970
March 28, 2001, 11:40 AM
If you are looking for a good rifle, that you can change barrels with, how about a Sig SHR 970. If you are interested in changing barrels, you have the option of 25-06, 270, 30-06. Shoots great.

Doc Hudson
March 28, 2001, 11:49 AM
Maurice,

You said this will be your first firearm of any sort. Are you an experienced shooter or are you just beginning to shoot?

If you are a complete novice, get a .22 LR rifle. And do not get the Ruger 10-22.

As a novice, you will learn trigger control and fire discipline far better with a single shot .22 rifle or a manual repeater, i.e., a bolt-action, a lever-action, or a pump-action. Novices with semi-automatics often learn bad habits that are difficult to break.

If you are already an experienced shooter, I apologize if it seemed that I was talking down to you. I'd still suggest a .22 LR rifle if it will mainly be used for plinking/truck gun or small game. Get a centerfire rifle for hunting deer and larger game.

You can use centerfire rifles for plinking, but that rapidly becomes very expensive if you do not reload.

Doc Hudson