PDA

View Full Version : Remington 597 Evolution

Matt Sutton
March 27, 2001, 12:39 AM
It seems that the 597 as first released had its problems like any new product. I'm now hearing more favorable reviews from the masses. Has anyone heard what specific changes they have made to make this model more reliable?

BTW, I already have a 10/22 so don't even mention it :)

6mm
March 27, 2001, 08:55 AM
I recieved a 597 22lr last summer as a gift from my wife( FIRST TIME SHE HAS EVER GIVEN ME A GUN!!). The son of a gun will out shoot my heavy barrel 10/22 all day long and its feeds everything I have put thru it. The only drawback is its kinda of a pain to put back together after fieldstripping (not as easy as the 10/22).

Also the stock fits me better than the 10/22 stock.

After the the Viper mess its nice to see Remington get its stuff together and bring out a good 22 semiauto.

Hope this helps

6mm

Erich
March 27, 2001, 09:54 AM
. . . I never heard ANY reports of problems when the rifle was first released. In fact, I bought one soon afterward because every gunrag that I picked up had a story about how wonderful they are (unusual for a new design), including one 5000-round no-cleaning torture test (after which the gun's groups ended up actually getting tighter).

Are you sure you aren't thinking about the Viper?

utvols
March 27, 2001, 01:06 PM
My dad already had 2 10-22's and I wnted something different. It was cheaper, looked better and the Barrel Seemed to be quite heavier (with a recessed crown I might add) The first tie I shot it I couldn't believe it. I actually had to take my earplugs out to make sure it was firing. I couldn't feel or hear the gun shoot. Oh yea ant the trigger on mine is as good as my custom trigger on my savage. Unbelievable out of the box gun.

Matt Sutton
March 27, 2001, 04:08 PM
Thanks for the replies!

The bad reports I heard were from various forumites on shooters, rec.guns, etc. Most were saying that it was very accurate, but jammed often. Everything I've heard recently has been ultra positive. I almost wish it had some bad press now because the more I hear about it the more I want one.

Thanks again.
Matt

Erich
March 27, 2001, 04:32 PM
Well, Matt, my wife came out shooting with me last Saturday, and I couldn't get it away from her. It's a fun gun. The only thing I have to change is the cheap-o scope I put on it when I first bought the rifle; it clearly deserves better. And at only $120 on sale (K-mart, Big 5), you can't go wrong.