PDA

View Full Version : New Savage 110...crown

Vek
March 26, 2001, 03:42 PM
Good Folks:

I picked up one of those cheap Savage 110 / Bushnell crap scope combos at a show this weekend for 175 bucks. Both in great shape; rifle has less than a box through it. Scope goes on one of my 22s. One hitch that I didn't catch at buy-time: The crown has what appears to be a pretty significant tool chatter mark, leaving a spot probably 1/8" - 3/16" long around the hole and encroaching down the barrel a few thousandths of an inch. It is plain to see with the naked eye that the crown is uneven. How much will a smith ding me to clean that up? It won't take much; they'd have to remove about 1/16" of material.

Also, purely as speculation....new savage barrels are button-rifled, if I'm not mistaken. This one is obviously not. If accuracy is bad even with the crown job, could a guy throw a newer take-off button barrel on there in its place? I plan on rigorously testing this one before I get to that point, though.

Thanks...

racegunner
March 26, 2001, 09:50 PM
I've seen recrowning for $35 I believe.
I've also read lately (can't remember now) someone had a Remington with a dinged crown, but it didn't affect accuracy at all (as he had it recrowned with no effect).

Zorro
March 26, 2001, 10:17 PM
Or a .45 FMJ bullet chucked in a hand drill and some grinding compound, Do it yourself.

Badger Arms
March 26, 2001, 10:56 PM
Cut-and-Crown jobs should be less than $40.

ZeusOne
March 27, 2001, 01:46 PM
I'll bet those deer I've taken with my "cheap" Savage 110/Simmons combo are pretty darn offended because they weren't downed by a much more expensive rig.

Be careful how you word things; some of us can only afford to own and shoot because of the value offerings of Savage, Ruger and other companies.

Hard Case
March 27, 2001, 03:11 PM
Vek,

Is this "cheap savage 110/crap scope" combo a new offering? I didn't see anything of the sort at the last gunshow I went to in January. Are they limiting the calibers? Always looking for a good deal. Have two savages already and wouldn't hesitate to buy a third.

Thanks,

HC

ehenz
March 27, 2001, 03:16 PM
I don't know what Vek meant by "cheap", but I know if you don't admit to the "opinions" at large early in a post, you can get 20 replys on how "cheap" or what a POS something is before a nice nice appropriate reply appears.

I own a savage and like it very much, I did not take offense to "cheap". I am glad I did not have to read "Savage is a POS, a throw away gun, innaccurate, poorly made, worse than the Remington 700... for the ump-teen time.

(now I am sure I will:)

Vek
March 28, 2001, 03:11 PM
hard case:

I believe this piece is older, because IIRC the newer savages have button rifled barrels and this one is most assuredly cut.

ZeusOne:

Wow. Check your e-mail.

Vek
March 28, 2001, 03:16 PM
ZeusOne:

I guess you can't be reached by e-mail. So here you go:

Perhaps a lesson in inference is appropriate: if I meant cheap as in POS, I most assuredly would not have bought it for any price. Believe it or not, not everyone around you is a.: stupid, or b.: insulting your stuff. I suggest feeling secure in your straight-shooting CHEAP savage. I will be. See 1a below, specifically, the part about real value. Also, 1b, 2.

Cheap (adj) 1a: purchasable below the going price or the real value. b: charging low price. c: depreciated in value (as by the currency inflation)(~dollars). 2: Costing little trouble to obtain (~victory). 3a: Shoddy, Meretricious b: worthy of scorn. 4a: yielding small satisfaction. b: paying or able to pay less than going prices. 5 of money: obtainable at a low rate of interest. 6: Brit: specially reduced in price. syn see contemptible

Bogie
March 29, 2001, 06:23 PM
1. Cut rifling is good.

2. Button rifling is good.

3. My $200 skinny barrel Savage 110 in .243 shoots 3/4 MOA, and it's my worst Savage. It's about to get a new barrel from Sharpshooter Supply.

If the crown is dinged that badly, the .45 and the drill won't cut it. You need to cut off the barrel, and clean up the end.

Personally, if it shoots 1" or better, and doesn't throw shots, I'd leave it until you REALLY want to mess with making a custom...

Bruegger
March 30, 2001, 02:15 PM
I think I have "one of those cheap Savage 110 / Bushnell crap scope combos..."

The thing is so "cheap" and "crappy" that it doesn't know it shouldn't be able to shoot the cheapest ammo I can find into less than an inch at 100 yards out-of-the-box. It doesn't seem to know that only expensive rifles should be able to do that. So the dopey thing does it anyway. The nerve!

Zorro
March 30, 2001, 11:22 PM
And in 7MM Magnum and wood stock it weighs less than most composite stocked competitors!

Many Dead crows hate my rifle, 7MM Rem Mag is an ok 300 yard varmit gun so long as you can have a mountain as a backstop.

;)