PDA

View Full Version : Need info on Remington 870 Wingmaster

kubiast
March 23, 2001, 06:20 PM
Looking at the Shotgun for Trap. It is a Remington 870 Wingmaster 2 3/4" Barrel for Shells, 28" long barrel. Need to know if it would hold up for Trap and what is a good price for a used one. I am un sure of the Year. Please let me know.

Thanks
Terrance

Jim S
March 23, 2001, 07:43 PM
An 870 will hold up very well for trap shooting. Around my area here in Iowa prices for a good used 870 range from $225 to about $350 depending on condition and features. If you're interested in strictly shooting trap you might want to look for an 870 TB or 870 TC model. They are the trap versions of the Wingmaster, the main difference being different stock dimensions, better suited for trap shooting. Hope this helps
Jim

Dave McC
March 24, 2001, 09:05 AM
870s do not wear out. The guys over at Shotgun Report say they've never heard of one wearing out, and neither have I.

My trap guns are 870s, one's a practically new 870 TB with the Monte Carlo stock and a 30" full choke bbl, the other is a parts gun I built w/ untold rounds behind it. Both will outlast me, and maybe a couple more generations also.

kubiast
March 24, 2001, 12:23 PM
I have found one a 870 Wingmaster for $249.00 in good to very good shape at a pawn shop. Trying to find out if good price or should it be more at $200.00.

Al Thompson
March 24, 2001, 05:02 PM
That's a reasonable price here in South Carolina. Local market will determine if it's high or low.

If it were me (and I wanted a shotgun), I'd offer $225. If I was in the market for a trap gun and only a trap gun, I'd pass. The odds are that the 28 inch tube is bored for a modified choke. Couple of things - it may have choke tubes like a Express, which helps, or it may be in good enough shape to have choke tubes installed. Installed choke tubes should be about a hundered bucks or so. Lots of variables here.

YMMV

Giz

Dave McC
March 24, 2001, 06:31 PM
Price is variable, depending on a lot of factors, including...

Finish- Any dings or scratches?

Age- Of little importance with 870s.

Condition- bbl pitting, scoring, any rust, smoothness of the stroke,trigger pull of less than 4 lbs and clean,etc..

Choke- Tubes are best in the long haul, but a fixed Full is what my Trap 870TB has. I'm not busting some targets now because I'm at 16 yards and using a Full choke. Upside is I'm holding closer and when I do go to a more open choke, my scores should improve.BTW, I got a price for converting to tubes and doing the forcing cone today, w/o any tubes it'll run about $110.

Pretty wood counts also.

A Wingmaster with good wood, a pad, and in good shape round here will go for $200-275.Special models like slug guns, Trap guns and fancied up ones run higher, of course.

If that one's in good shape and takes tubes,I'd snap it up for $250, tho I'd probably first offer $225.

kubiast
March 25, 2001, 09:10 PM
I am trying to find out now how much of a kick does it have, after talking abound here it sounds that it is a good shotgun and they say anything under $300.00 is a real good buy? Please let me know about the kick, I am going to try and have my wife fired it, if they will let her.

Al Thompson
March 25, 2001, 10:38 PM
Recoil (kick) and it's effects are extremely dependent on the individual. Very hard to answer that question...

The loss leader birdshot rounds are easy to shoot in a heavy gun. As you move up in load weight or velocity, recoil increases. If you have an active target, felt recoil is usually not a factor.

The only answer in your case is to have you shoot the shotgun, hopefully at a target that shatters or indicates that you hit it..

FWIW, I don't percieve a great difference in kick with an 870 as opposed to an 1100 (softer kick).

Giz

Dave McC
March 26, 2001, 05:09 AM
Giz is correct as usual,kubiast. Individuals vary greatly in what recoil they can handle. The good news here is that the 870 is,except for "riot" guns and certain upland models, heavy enough to cut the kick a bit.Get the stock fitted to your wife. Later, I'm sure she'll want you to have your own shotgun(G)...

Lots of old threads here about dealing with kick, proper mounting techniques, and buying the spouse a shotgun. A little research can help you immensely.