PDA

View Full Version : Gibbs Rifles for .308

Daver308
March 21, 2001, 09:01 AM
At a recent show I saw several Gibbs rifle company rifles, for a variety of calibers. They appeared well made and very inexpensive($ 200 - 290 ) . Does anyone have any insight or knowledge with these rifles ?

Thanks

AUTiger73
March 21, 2001, 09:39 AM
Check out their website at http://www.gibbsrifle.com and look at the FAQ.

The .308 is available as the #7 Jungle Carbine and the Quest II Extreme Carbine. The Quest II Extreme may be found under the "Sport Specialty Rifles" and the FAQ link is below the spec chart.

I thought I was interested in the "Summit Carbine" which is based on the same Enfield rifle, but chambered for .45-70. Reading the FAQ for the Summit Carbine there is a caution to not use "high performance loadings" by Corbon and Buffalo. Specially Gibbs recommends only SAMMI spec ammo, the same enemic ammo that is loaded for weak antiques such as trap door Springfields. This leaves me wondering what is the weakness of these No. 4 Enfield conversions. Could it be that the Enfield has a 2 piece bolt? Can't see any advantage in owning a .45-70 Summit Carbine if you are limited to SAMMI factory spec ammo.

Back to your .308 WCF: I would assume factory spec ammo in the .308 WCF would be fine in these rifles, even though the rifle was originally designed around the .303 British pressure levels. But based on the reports I've read, none of the Jungle Carbines are particularly accurate with 4" to 6" groups at 100 yards being the norm.

Beyond that my concern would the the horrendous recoil. Reports I've read about the Gibbs Jungle Carbine indicate recoil in absolutely brutal. If you are not concerned with accuracy and confuse pain with pleasure, the Jungle Carbine is for you!

hksigwalther
March 21, 2001, 07:46 PM
Try:

http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=57234

Look at also the FR-8 CETME topic in this forum. I might get one of those also.

radom
March 23, 2001, 12:47 AM
Just remember that lug setback and increased head space had always been a problem in Enfield .303s thet have been in heavy use. In the MK-3 and MK-4 this was less of a issue but with the 7.62 I would expect this to return. I would not worry as it probably would take enough rounds to wear out the barrel as to wear out the action. This was issued by a peice time army as a temp. measure untill a proper 7.62 gun could be developed. As for the CETME rifle it is chambered in 7.62 cetme and not 7.62 nato, performance is similar to the 30-30. a 308 factory load excededs the presure limmit that these old guns where designed for by a hefty margin. I assume that the new 7.62 barrels are of a much better grade of steel than the poor grade steel that the actions are made off.