PDA

View Full Version : Navy Arms milsurp Enfields

Alfadog
March 19, 2001, 12:57 PM
I am considering purchasing my first military surplus rifle, and could use some advice. Has anyone purchased a surplus Enfield from Navy Arms recently?

They have original No. 4 MkIs for $100, listed in "Good to Very Good Condition," and "Arsenal Reconditioned" for $125. Good buys? Also, has anyone out there tried Navy Arm's "Tanker" No. 4 MkI?

How would any of these guns compare to the Yugoslav M48 Mausers that are now available, in terms of general condition, quality, and accuracy? I like the Mauser design better than the Enfield, but I am somewhat put off by the unavailability of inexpensive NON-corrosive ammo for the 8mm. Several sources now have non-corrosive South African .303 made in the 1980s at prices more or less comparable to the ancient corrosive 8mm ammo that everyone is peddling these days.

I am also leery about buying a firearm sight unseen. When ordering from reputable companies like Navy Arms, AIM Surplus, and Century Arms, have you found the guns to be as represented? Anything in particular I need to ask about before ordering?

Thanks for your advice!

9mmepiphany
March 19, 2001, 02:42 PM
i've had good experience with AIM and century, goods as described, and have friends who have dealt with good results with navy arms.

i'm trying to free up funds to get one of those "tankers" from them too. i got a mk4 #1 from big5 awhile back that got me hooked :cool:

the mauser is considered the best bolt-action rifle of the war, but it is usually conceded that the enfield is the best bolt-action battle rifle...possibly of all time :cool: :cool:

the enfield is a faster in operation due to the ability to maintain "cheek weld" while cycling the bolt and the 10rd mag. i read somwhere (enfield site) that the speed record for aimed fire with a bolt-action is held by the enfield, reloading with stripper clips.

thumbtack
March 19, 2001, 10:01 PM
I have receive surplus rifles from most of this companies and been satisfied with them all. I have order a lot of firearms from JandG sale in Prescott AZ, and have had good result from them as well.

Noban
March 20, 2001, 09:55 AM
I have an Enfield No4Mk1 and a Mauaser M-48. They are so different in feel and function that it is hard to say which is "better." They're just different.

Navy Arms arsenal reconditioned Enfields are OK, but stay away from their homemade jungle carbines and other remakes. These are not authentic and although they shoot OK, for a few dollars more you can get the real thing elsewhere like Century and SOG.

As to buying sight unseen, I do it all the time and with decent results. Most of the dealers have a good return policy. Just be sure to ask about it before ordering and get the name of the salesperson.

Noban

Gewehr98
March 20, 2001, 11:34 AM
Getting more than a few reports in at the Lee-Enfield Forum (gunandknife.com) that there ain't a whole lot holding the nosecaps and abbreviated forends on to those Navy Arms and Gibbs "Tanker" carbines. Some have even launched their nosecaps and forends downrange upon firing, so if you buy one, make sure you inspect where they butchered the full-length No1MkIII* and grafted it back together, hopefully it was at least dowelled or pinned well. Now I gotta duck, because I'm certain to catch flak from a Tanker Enfield owner who's never had a lick of trouble. Don't shoot the messenger, I'm just reporting what has happened to other folks via a dedicated Enfield forum. My "Tanker" is an original No5Mk1 JC, as recently imported by CAI and SOG, otherwise my remaining Enfields are still full-length No1MkIII*'s.

Jaeger
March 21, 2001, 07:13 AM
The problems that Gewehr98 are refering to are with the modified No1 MkIII rifles. I know of no such complaints about the rifles based off of the #4 actions. Afriend of mine has a #4 Mk1 tanker and it is a well put together little rifle. It is not authentic and it is not a collector but it sure is one heck of a shooter!

Mausers and Enfields are 2 very different answers to the same question. While I have a deep appreciation for Mausers I prefer the Enfield. Enfields are very fast, very rugged, quite accurate. The #4 series of rifles (including the #5s) are the best bolt action battle rifles ever made.

Alfadog
March 21, 2001, 08:17 AM
Thanks for all the replies so far. Looks like any of these guns is a winner.