PDA

View Full Version : Star 45 Semi auto -Buy one?

Tracer
March 13, 2001, 04:32 PM
Should I buy one? I owned an M43 9mm and sold it.Wish I never had. This model is identical except or caliber.Any comments?(Please email me.)
Thanks

Walt Sherrill
March 13, 2001, 04:38 PM
Depends on the price...

They're heavy. But they're also pretty accurate and the trigger can be nicely tuned.

I have both a 9mm and .40 version of the Firestar [the 9 is a firestar Plus], and they are excellent guns. I got the nickled .40 for $225 and the 9, in ANIB condition, in a pawn shop, for $129. Great buys, both of them.

If you've got to pay a lot for the .45 -- close to the $400 - $450 prices I've seen recently -- I don't think they're worth is. (The Ruger P-97 would be a better .45 for less money, and you can pick up a very nice CZ-75B in .40, with selective DA/SA for less, too...)

If you're getting a good price, go for it.

Stephen A. Camp
March 13, 2001, 05:37 PM
Hello, Tracer. What the previous poster mentioned is true in my view. I did own one of these in forty-five and the gun worked fine. Be aware that these guns are no longer made nor imported. Spare parts and magazines could be a problem. Best.

Tracer
March 13, 2001, 06:12 PM
the price for stainless (starvel) i $330 new in box with 1 mag.

railroader
March 13, 2001, 07:47 PM
I have a blue one that was like new when I got it a couple of years ago. I paid $200. You can find mags but not parts or after market grips. Mine is accurate and reliable. When interarms quit selling them you would see them around for under $250.

Stocky
March 14, 2001, 09:01 AM
Did a lot of searching around on all the firestars over the years.
General concensus of opinion....
Yes on the 9 and 40 .....
Firm No on the 45.

The manufacturers supposedly pushed the envelope trying to keep increasing cal size after the innitial .9MM release.
Results with 45's were stress fractures, jams and other bullshi_.
The brittle firing pin problems of the 9mm and .40 are no big deal....
But you got no one to really go to with the .45.
I have a ton of theories as to why the .45 sellers are trying to get those big bucks on Auctioonarms, broker and American....but it's a "Bad" deal over time.
JMHO,
Stocky

Walt Sherrill
March 14, 2001, 09:08 AM
For $330 -- and as much as I like Stars -- I think I'd spend just a few bucks more (and that may not be needed) and get the Ruger P-97.

The P-97 is one of the unsung bargains in shooting, today: a very accurate gun, which is just as concealable as the Star (maybe more so), lighter, more durable, with no future problems for parts, service, etc.

mcshot
March 14, 2001, 10:09 AM
I have had and have several and am impressed with how they are made. After I sold my first .45 (jr.) I felt naked and had to get another. I can't see how the low pressure .45 can cause the damage mentioned if the .40 holds up well.
In short, no problems here and I really like Star pistols.
Probably one of the better buys available and IMHO they will only appreciate.
mac