PDA

View Full Version : Kimber rifle

NHSHOOTER
December 1, 2019, 05:45 AM
My LGS has a very nice Kimber 84M super america chambered for 7-08 (which I do load for) on the shelf topped with a nice zeiss scope. I am just looking for opinions on this rifle. Ever shot 1? Hows the trigger? Finish? I do understand they are very light rifles and some find them hard to shoot well off a bench..(true?)

eastbank
December 1, 2019, 06:57 AM
i have a Kimber 84L in 3006 and with a 2x7 leupold scope weights 6.4 lbs, with my reloads with imr 4350 and 165 gr noslet BT bullets its a moa rifle for the first four shots and then goes out to 2" for three more. my rifle likes to be held tight.

std7mag
December 1, 2019, 10:53 AM
My daughters boyfriend has an 84M in 338 Fed.
Yes they are light. But so is my Forbes 24B.
They are geared more to the person hunting out west, high elevations, hiking for miles. There ounces equal pounds after a couple of miles.

The trigger is decent.
Groups out to 400 yards are more than acceptable for a hunting rifle.

If you hike any distance away from your vehicle, you will learn to appreciate it!

Scorch
December 3, 2019, 01:47 AM
Well built, typically good shooters, and yes, they are light. It's one of my short list rifles.

jmr40
December 7, 2019, 09:08 PM
My 84M 308 weighs 6 1/4 lbs with Zeiss Conquest in Talley lightweight mounts. With a Leupold 2-7X I can keep it under 6 lbs scoped.

It is as accurate as anything from a mechanical standpoint with loads it likes. Mine is a little picky about what it shoots well but I've not found that to be a real handicap. It just means a little more experimenting.

I think they are an excellent choice for rough country hunting where the light weight really matters. But as an all around rifle I like something with a bit more weight. I shoot rifles in the 7-7 1/2 lb range a bit better than I do rifles closer to 6 lbs. But unless you're taking shots at 400+ yards a little less accuracy probably won't matter.

Normana
December 8, 2019, 12:31 AM
My daughter loves her 7mm-08 Kimber.

NHSHOOTER
December 8, 2019, 05:31 AM
jmr40, I have yet to see the rifle in person, I am heading over to look at and probably purchase it today. Like I said it is a superamerica supposedly in perfect condition, asking price is 2200.00 with the zeiss scope..

std7mag
December 8, 2019, 09:21 AM
Good luck, post up with results!

NHSHOOTER
December 8, 2019, 04:47 PM
Went to the LGS to check out the Kimber and I brought a couple of trades with me, The kimber is now home and as soon as I can take a good picture I will post it..It is a beauty and they even came down a bit on the price!!!!! Merry Christmas to me!!!

Nathan
December 8, 2019, 05:32 PM
Honestly, it is comparable to a Winchester 70 super grade but with a lot of nice upgrades. If the wood stock and it’s quality don’t mean a lot to you, you are paying a lot for that.

To me, that is a great hunting rifle and I’m willing to put it in a case in the truck to minimize hunting damage. It looks similar to my Ruger, but better in almost every way.

7-08 is a nice round, but I would rather have it in 270, 280 or 30’06. I hate to sound so traditional!

Depending on price/condition, it would be a smart buy. That looks like a fair price if scope is useable!

NHSHOOTER
December 8, 2019, 05:35 PM
I have looked at a few kimbers with synthetic stocks but I love wood and that is why I paid extra for it, the wood is beautiful, and that rifle will go hunting. The other reason I bought it was it was a 7-08, I reload it and I like its performance..

NHSHOOTER
December 15, 2019, 04:12 AM
Update, Took my new to me Kimber out yesterday. Handloaded 4 different loads and surprising to me that the best groups came from 140gr sierra boat tails. I loaded some Barnes TTSX 120's also with 2 different powder charges. They all shot well but the Sierra's were the best. There are many other bullets and powders to try till I find THE ONE my rifle likes best..1 last thing I might add, if any of you kimber 7-08 owners that have a pet load, feel free to suggest..:)

reynolds357
December 15, 2019, 10:09 AM
Update, Took my new to me Kimber out yesterday. Handloaded 4 different loads and surprising to me that the best groups came from 140gr sierra boat tails. I loaded some Barnes TTSX 120's also with 2 different powder charges. They all shot well but the Sierra's were the best. There are many other bullets and powders to try till I find THE ONE my rifle likes best..1 last thing I might add, if any of you kimber 7-08 owners that have a pet load, feel free to suggest..:)
My pet load is a 110ttsx over 50 gr of cfe223 and fed lr match primer. Its a developed, not a published load. Dont know what the pressure on it is, but the case voodoo looks good. It shoots bugeyes in two different rifles.

dvdcrr
December 29, 2019, 03:22 PM
I don't have a pet load but I would be looking at 140 gr. bullets and H4895 or RL 15

fourbore
December 29, 2019, 08:22 PM
I dont have one but; I would like to. If I did it would be 7mm-08. This would make a great hunting rifle. Sure, for gun club shooting heavy maybe better. This is a purpose built gun. Hunting.

This is in some ways like a win model 70. The big difference is the receiver is skinny. It does not handle belted magnum size ammo. It is a petite version of a M70 like actions. Best of all worlds for a 7mm-08.