PDA

View Full Version : Which Double Stack 9mm 1911 for CCW?

chemcal
September 20, 2019, 03:23 PM
anything good available for under $1k?

Aguila Blanca
September 20, 2019, 03:41 PM
Does anyone make a double stack 1911 in 9mm these days?

chemcal
September 20, 2019, 04:05 PM
Hmmm. Don't know.

Aguila Blanca
September 20, 2019, 04:13 PM
Well, ParaUSA has been out of business for several years. Remington recently reintroduced a couple of double stack models under the Remington name, but I don't think any are 9mm. Armscor/Rock Island has a couple of double stacks, but not in 9mm. And STI doesn't have anything under $1,000.

You might be looking at a Rock Island TCM double stack, with an optional 9mm barrel.
https://ezine.m1911.org/showthread.php?260-Rock-Island-Armory-TCM-Tac-Ultra-MS-Combo-High-Cap-1911-A2-Pistol-Review

51cskipper
September 20, 2019, 04:21 PM
CZ-75 Compact ( 650 suggested retail )
https://cz-usa.com/product/cz-75-compact-9mm-black-14-rd-mags/

Oops, it's not a 1911, but the controls allow single action cocked and locked or double action use. I've used my 1911's for many years and I love this pistol.
First time out at the range, I put 400 rounds of Hornady XTP through it without a hitch.

Bartholomew Roberts
September 20, 2019, 04:33 PM
No, nothing good under $1k that I am aware of. But if you can swing the STI Costa or the Wilson EDC, those are worth every penny and then some. I’m not a fan of the tricked out marketing gimmicks on the Costa and magazines; but it is a shooter with good mags. The EDC has no mag problems.

The major problem with both is they are 1911s, so if you are a high volume shooter, you’d better learn to tinker with 1911s. For the average person who isn’t going to shoot 20,000 rounds in their life, they’ll be awesome. Amazing trigger, great ergos, super concealable, accuracy that is top notch, plus 15 rounds flush with big 20+ mags for reloads.

gbclarkson
September 20, 2019, 06:47 PM
Rock Island makes high capacity 9mm's.

Aguila Blanca
September 20, 2019, 07:16 PM
Rock Island makes high capacity 9mm's.
I thought they did, too, but I can't find one on their web site. Only the TCM convertibles with two barrels.

jr24
September 20, 2019, 07:30 PM
For CCW it's a little tougher with doublestack 1911s because of the fat grip. Also, a Commander or shorter barrel is probably preferable and there aren't too many of those out there under STI money.

That said, for a bit more than the $1000 you can get a Sig 229 (or 226) Legion SAO which is fairly close to a 1911 trigger with an appropriately 1911 located safety (something the otherwise excellent CZ line lacks).

Or, find a used or new out of production STI VIP

Aguila Blanca
September 20, 2019, 10:24 PM
There should be any number of used Para-Ordnance or ParaUSA P18.9s around, if you can carry a full-size 1911. In a compact size, they offered the Hawg 9, which had a 3-inch barrel and held 12 rounds in 9mm. The grip really is hardly wider than a standard 1911, because the grip panels are extremely thin.

kymasabe
September 21, 2019, 07:34 AM
... what Aquila Blanca said. I'd check Gunbroker for a nice clean used Para.

silvermane_1
September 22, 2019, 03:28 AM
Well Para-USA web site is still up and running, maybe they're back in business.

Aguila Blanca
September 22, 2019, 04:07 AM
Well Para-USA web site is still up and running, maybe they're back in business.
No, they're not. They were bought by Remington, and Remington is now making a few double stack models under the Remington R1 brand.

If you look at their web site, it features the 2014 catalog. It shows Travis Tomasie as the ParaUSA professional shooter -- Travis has been with Team Remington for several years. I know this for a fact -- I spoke with him in the Remington display area at the SHOT Show in 2017 and again in 2018.

I have no idea why that web site is still up. Nobody else can figure it out, either.

TRX
September 22, 2019, 06:27 PM
Double stack 9mm 1911 for carry? That's a Para P10, later called the Warthog. It's smaller than a Defender, except for being double stack.

Downsides:
Virtually all Warthogs were in .45 ACP. 9mm ones are quite rare.

Para quality control was... spotty. Some people got guns that ran fine, others wound up hating Para forever.

*Most* of the 9mm magazines are extended or have large finger grips; the flush magazines are much rarer. And expensive.

I'm finishing up a 9mm Warthog from parts as my new carry gun, with the idea of more magazine capacity than my current gun, plus being able to shoot cheap 9mm ammo.

Aguila Blanca
September 22, 2019, 11:05 PM
Technically, I believe, there were no 9mm Warthogs. The 9mm version was listed in the Para catalog as the "Hawg 9" (Model WHX129R). The Hawg 9 is shown in the 2009 Para catalog, but it isn't shown in the 2014 catalog.

As to Para quality, IMHO (and in my experience) the quality was generally good or better. Like Colt, though, they had some bad years. In the early 2000s, Para had a quality control guy they had recruited from the aerospace industry. Under his tenure, quality was excellent, and I have owned multiple Para pistols from this period to prove it. The problem was that he was too good at his job. People got to know, like, and trust him, so Para pulled him off quality control and sent him out on the road to sell guns.

That might have been okay except that ,instead of replacing him, they put the production manager in charge of quality control. As production manager, he saw his job as being to maximize production so, anytime there was a conflict between production and quality, you can guess which won. This went on for about a year and a half, IIRC, until Para ultimately fired the production/QC manager and hired two new people to fill the two respective positions. After that, quality went back to being ... pretty darned good.

74A95
September 22, 2019, 11:52 PM
Rock Island hi-cap 9mm:

https://armscor.com/firearms/ria/tac-series/tac-ultra-fs-hc-9mm/

ferrarif1fan
September 23, 2019, 07:27 AM
Well, first, finding a double stack 2011 for under $1,000 is going to be pretty tough. The only ones you might find would be an old Para. I would suspect that those had steel frames, so be prepared. A full steel frame 1911 can be quite heavy.

A few years back, I bought an STI Guardian 2011 for a little over $1,000. The previous owner had butchered the grip trying to do tree bark stippling on it, so I had to beg STI to sell me a replacement grip. They did and I returned the pistol to stock config. It has been my match gun ever since. I've thought about carrying it, but be aware that the fat grip and large mag baseplates make it print pretty badly. Plus, fully loaded with 17+1 rounds, it's up around 35 ounces fully loaded. That's not as bad as an all steel 1911, but it's still quite a bit to pack around inside the waistband appendix all day.

In short, you'll be lucky to find a double stack 1911 at $1,000. If I were you, I'd start searching Gunbroker and Armslist. You're most likely going to have to buy a used one and that's where you'll most likely find one.

PS...If you see an attractively priced STI on Armslist, proceed with caution. Unfortunately, Armslist has some scammers who have pictures of guns, but not the actual gun. They just take your payment and disappear. So be careful.

jreidthompson
September 23, 2019, 06:45 PM
Rock island has several versions look for the ones with HC in the model name

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

OhioGuy
September 24, 2019, 05:25 AM
Rock Island hi-cap 9mm:

https://armscor.com/firearms/ria/tac-series/tac-ultra-fs-hc-9mm/
Wow, that thing is a beast. I'd have to wear a poncho to conceal that! :)

chemcal
September 24, 2019, 09:11 AM
That's a very big gun! A gentleman at the club let me shot his new 9mm Wilson carry, andf he has several. I was hoping to find something much less pricey. I have a Sig P229 legacy which I like and would probably go for a 229 SAO- if I could find one to try.