PDA

View Full Version : Beretta Model 81 cal. 7.65 racking difficulty

IamArmed
February 8, 2019, 07:01 PM
MY friend inherited a really sweet Beretta Model 81. The trouble is it is extremely hard to rack the slide. I cleaned it and looked for problems but found nothing out of the ordinary. Would changing the recoil spring help? Would a lesser spring damage the gun? Suggestions would be appreciated.

dogtown tom
February 8, 2019, 09:02 PM
It's blowback operated, meaning it has a very strong recoil spring.
Changing out that recoil spring will undoubtedly affect function and reliability.

Wolff doesn't offer reduced power recoil springs for the 81.

Jim Watson
February 8, 2019, 09:24 PM
Cock the hammer first to get the mainspring resistance out of the way.

HighValleyRanch
February 8, 2019, 11:52 PM
Use the overhand method, not the slingshot method.

10-96
February 9, 2019, 01:46 AM
+1 what Jim Watson said. Previous generations of Berettas for the most part rather have their hammer springs lightened rather than recoil springs. Going lighter on the recoil spring for typical factory ammunition does little more than helping the pistol to beat itself to death.

JJNA
February 11, 2019, 01:17 AM
It will also increase recoil. Don’t do it.

Mike Irwin
February 11, 2019, 11:56 AM
Well, given that the Cheeta is blowback (thus no extractor) you really don't need to rack the slide.

Use the barrel latch to pop the barrel up and drop in a round. Push the barrel back down to latch it and you're ready to go.

I've been looking for a Cheeta for years. Always loved the thought of a medium sized pistol holding 12 rounds of .32 ACP.

aarondhgraham
February 11, 2019, 12:04 PM
I thought it was only the model 86 Cheetah that had a tip-up barrel,,,
According to Wikipedia, all of the other models do not have a tip up barrel.

~scratching head~

Aarond

dogtown tom
February 11, 2019, 12:43 PM
Mike Irwin Well, given that the Cheeta is blowback (thus no extractor) you really don't need to rack the slide.
It's blowback and DOES have an extractor, as do the 84/85. They do not have tip up barrels.
The Beretta 86 with tip up barrel does not have an extractor.

Mike Irwin
February 11, 2019, 01:59 PM
Yeah, you guys are correct.

I don't know why I was thinking that all of the Beretta Cheeta .32s had tip barrels...

And I don't know why I clutched on the extractor. Of course it does, the .22s don't.

And I didn't know that the 96 doesn't have an extractor.

Sigh.

Edit in... Wait, the 96 is the .40 isn't it? The ones I have seen DO have extractors...

tipoc
February 11, 2019, 05:24 PM
Try this...with the gun empty cock the hammer, with the weak hand hold the slide steady, solid and close to the body. With the strong hand push the frame forward.

Should work.

tipoc

Jim Watson
February 12, 2019, 04:45 PM
No extractor is shown on the schematic for the Model 86 .380 tip-up.
http://www.berettaweb.com/sezionati/sez%2086FS.htm

Right there for the conventional Model 85
http://www.berettaweb.com/sezionati/sez%2082%2083%2085FS.htm

berettaprofessor
February 13, 2019, 10:08 PM
Mike Irwin you were thinking of the Tomcat, the Beretta 3032, infamous for its tip-up barrel and the incidence of frame cracks with hot ammunition.

OP, the overhand method should help. And remember, don’t pull the slide back, hold it in place and push the grip forward. Once you shoot it for awhile, it will get easier...or more likely you will get stronger. ;)

Mike Irwin
February 14, 2019, 09:35 AM
No, I was thinking of the Model 86 Cheeta, which is larger than the Tomcat.

I thought the tip barrel and no extractor was a feature of all versions of the Cheeta, I was wrong.

And I just found a Model 81 for sale... I've wanted one of the double-stack Cheetas for a long time...

But I'm not paying $800 for one. Yikes!

dogtown tom
February 14, 2019, 11:23 AM
berettaprofessor Mike Irwin you were thinking of the Tomcat, the Beretta 3032, infamous for its tip-up barrel
"Tip up" barrels have been common on quite a few Beretta pistols in .22LR, .25acp, .32acp and .380acp.

Jim Watson
February 14, 2019, 12:18 PM
The Model 81 is rather uncommon here; most Americans preferring the .380.
The single stack Model 82 seems even rare.

berettaprofessor
February 15, 2019, 05:47 PM
No, I was thinking of the Model 86 Cheeta, which is larger than the Tomcat.

I don't know why I was thinking that all of the Beretta Cheeta .32s had tip barrels...

Sorry, when you mentioned the 32's and tip ups in the same sentence, I assumed you went mentally to the Tomcat. The Model 86 is a tipup, the only one of the Model 80's, but it's a 380acp.