PDA

View Full Version : Inexpensive Bolt .22

Pvt. Joker
March 7, 2001, 06:06 PM
Hey guys,
I am looking for a inexpensive .22 bolt action, magazine fed (woops almost said clip! ;-) Anyways. I was looking at a savage today, Looked pretty nice, Any suggestions? Any place to get spare mags? Thanks. Also, What kind of accuracy can I expect, especialy with CB longs at about 15 yards. Thanks!

Matt Sutton
March 7, 2001, 06:13 PM
I have the CZ-452 Lux and I have to say it's my favorite .22 rifle. It costs a bit more than the savages and marlins, but the quality and workmanship is tops. I think I paid $225 for mine about 2 years ago. I've seen few other magazine fed bolt guns with 10 rounders available.
http://www.cz-usa.com/weapons/images/452lux.jpg

TimW
March 7, 2001, 06:39 PM
If you're looking really inexpensive, look around for a Glenfield Mod 25A. I have one (got it 22 years ago for my birthday) and is a tackdriver for the value. These were the Marlin-made guns sold by JC Penny oh-so-many years ago. In Arizona, you can find these in the papers for about $100 +/- Magazines are a bit hard to find, anymore.

TimW
Phoenix

Pvt. Joker
March 7, 2001, 06:47 PM
What kind of quality and accuracy can I get from a marling or a savage???

-Jared

PJR
March 7, 2001, 07:57 PM
A second vote for the CZ. A little more money but a lot more rifle. I owned one for years and it shot rings around stock Ruger and Remingtons (40X excepted). It was traded in on a Cooper Arms Model 36 and while I did get a prettier rifle it wasn't any more accurate.

Dave R
March 7, 2001, 10:22 PM
If you want inexpensive...

I got my son a Romanian .22 trainer for his birthday. I paid $60 at a local gun store, but they can be had for as low as $40 from http://www.gunsnammo.com.

Good, military-quality rifle. Sights on mine are perfectly regulated, and its very accurate. Free-floated barrel. Size fits both my 12 year old and me. Spare mags are $12 or so?

I really like it.

Angel
March 7, 2001, 10:26 PM
If you want really inexpensive go with a Romanian model 1969 bolt action. Mine has a date of 1984, was in like new condition and cost me $70. A lot of people have been able to get them for around $50. It shoots really well, handles well and after market mags are around $10.

My second choice is join CMP, order a mossberg M44 bolt action US trainer. I ordered mine but have not received it yet. It is $95 without a mag but mags are around $35. It suposedly shoots really well, and is a US Property marked collectable piece of history. They were used as trainers for our troops.

Finally I went to a show and purchased a mossberg 152 semi auto 22lr. It is very accurate, beautiful wood and came with original peep sights. Paid $100 and could not be happier.

Angel

Jaeger
March 7, 2001, 10:53 PM
I can't speak for the Savage but all of the Marlins that I've shot have been very accurate. Sub 1" groups at 50 yds should be no problem with the right ammo.

That said, if you want a cheap, high quality mag fed, bolt action 22 then you really should check out the surplus Romanian 22s. I bought one and it shoots like a house on fire! I can get .5" goups at 50 yds. using the open sights and RWS subsonic hollow point ammo. They are probably the best surplus deal going right now. I'd like to get a few more of them to stash away.

Badger Arms
March 7, 2001, 11:11 PM
If you're limited just to Bolt Actions, I'd say go with the Romanian just like everybody else is saying. The CZ is great, but in that price range you'd have to add the Ruger 77/22. For used guns, you can get a Remington 581 usually for less than $100. They shoot really well also.

Tropical Z
March 8, 2001, 02:50 PM
If you go with the Savage,Wal-Mart has the gun for $99 in my neck of the woods & mags for $10.The romanians are a good gun if you get one from the 80's.The 70's models i've seen are pretty beat up.I also have questions about the Taiwan mags that come with the Romanian bad boys,as mine suck.I'd go with the Savage.

nine fingers
March 8, 2001, 02:58 PM
I've had a Marlin 880 for about eight years. I have never, repeat, never missed a squirrel with it. Extra mags are inexpensive and easy to find (Walmart usually has them).