PDA

View Full Version : Sir, the hammer on that gun is cocked...

Marko Kloos
March 7, 2001, 03:32 PM
Last weekend, I traded a friend my *&* Mod.411 for a Para-Ordnance P12.45 in a straight trade. It looks nice, shoots like a champ and seems to be feed-reliable with both ball and HP loads. I've started carrying it cocked-and-locked in the Askins Avenger it came in, or my roomie's Galco SOB. (The PO used to be her gun, so now she's hounding me to trade it back to her.)

As I am pondering my inevitable next purchase, I can't help but notice that all the pistols in my collection are now either single action autoloaders that can be carried cocked and locked, or safe-action/striker-fired guns. Is this some kind of evolution one goes through? I started out with double-action large-frame autos, and I've owned DA guns almost exclusively until I got my first 1911. Once familiar and comfortable with cocked-and-locked carry, I've really grown fond of SA carry since then. My next purchase will be a long overdue one: I'm buying a very nice Browning HP this weekend. Maybe that John Moses Browning guy was onto something here....

buzz_knox
March 7, 2001, 03:35 PM
It's Guncraft time in TN!

Lend, ol' buddy, you've got the worst case of guntradeitis that I've ever heard of, let alone seen.

AndABeer
March 7, 2001, 03:50 PM
and how is ole Guncraft? I lived in Knoxville 10 years ago and Guncraft was my first "real" range. I was (was?) such a newbie back then, they got a whole lotta my money and I don't think I have a single firearm still in my possession purchased from them, I still use the range bag I bought there though.

buzz_knox
March 7, 2001, 04:34 PM
Guncraft is still there (obviously) and doing all right. Weist died last year but his son is carrying on. As for buying from there, I get small things (i.e. cleaning supplies). I can't afford the prices they charge. I like doing business with locals, but not when there is a $100-$150 markup on some things.

RWK
March 7, 2001, 07:41 PM
Please, it's not a "gun". A pistol, a revolver, an autoloader, a wheelgun, a semiautomatic, a rife, and so forth are all fine, but not a "gun" (unless you really are referring to a smooth bore). When I first entered the military 30+ years ago, I quickly observed the penalty for referring to any firearm as a "gun". I hope further elaboration will not be required. :) :)

Marko Kloos
March 7, 2001, 08:52 PM
...so I went out and picked up my new Hi-Power today.

http://216.227.40.145/images/Hipower4.jpg

It's mighty purdy.

Oh, and as far as the usage of the word "gun" is concerned: Forgive me for not having fully mastered my second language yet. I am still learning. :)

March 7, 2001, 09:03 PM
lendringser: It sounds like you and I have the same taste in guns. I never went through the evolution you did though. When I first became interested in shooting, and finally when I was old enough to do anything about it, double action autos were not "the thing". (God, I am getting old, I just had my 39th birthday and am getting really paranoid about my age). So I started out with single actions. All my serious guns are single actions. However, now that the in thing is double action autos, I bought a few, and a Glock to see how I liked them. I have a lot of fun with them and after shooting them quite a bit I have now decided that my serious guns are now going to be single actions.
Nice Hi-Power. I have three.

George Hill
March 7, 2001, 09:08 PM
You made a great choice...

Tamara
March 7, 2001, 09:24 PM
...really rather have my G33 than that clunky ParaOrd?

(Gotta keep the pressure on... ;))

Al Thompson
March 7, 2001, 10:06 PM
The old Guncraft store in OR was my first real gun store. Buzz may remember the other one next to WestTown mall back in the '70's. Guncraft and the one in Jackson Square were favorite hangouts until I left in '77.

Anybody ever get Tam over to Big Ed's pizza?

Giz

Biathlonman
March 7, 2001, 10:23 PM
Are there any clubs, IDPA etc. running out of Knoxville? I am only about an hour north in Williamsburg, KY and would love to shoot with some TFL people. Well thinking of it I don't yet have the necessary equipment for IDPA or such but I love casual shooting. If you all ever decide to get together let me know!

Some day I will own a high-power!

Ed Brunner
March 8, 2001, 03:49 AM
The use of the word gun is proper in designating an artillery piece which has a certain ratio between the barrel length and the caliber, but I dont remember the specifics. The mortar has the smallest ratio and the rifle the largest. A howitzer and a gun are somewhere in between.

The use of the word gun is sort of like calling an engine a motor. A lot of folks do both.

buzz_knox
March 8, 2001, 08:43 AM
GC next to West Town? I only remember it being in a strip mall just down from Jackson Square. But, I remember it well. That was the first time I ever saw an Uzi. I was probably 7-8. Talk about a wonderful experience.

Art Eatman
March 8, 2001, 09:32 AM
RWK: 1. You're absolutely correct. 2. Fuhgeddaboutit! There are some battles you'll always lose. :)

At least most folks here don't use "clip" and "magazine" as being the same thing. :D

Art

buzz_knox
March 8, 2001, 10:03 AM
Speaking of clips, anyone know where I can get a spare clip for my Sig Sour .9mm automatic gun?

:)

Marko Kloos
March 8, 2001, 11:00 AM
Same place you can get armor-piercing Black Shredder Uranium bullets for your 45mm semi-automatic assault handgun, all without background checks.

At the gun show, of course. :)

ArmySon
March 8, 2001, 11:09 AM
Good choice on the Browning HP! If you ever decide to customize it, shoot me an email.

I went through the same evolution as you. My first handgun was a Beretta. Shortly after that, I went through the Glock phase. Then the Sig phase until I fired my first 1911. I was hooked on that design ever since.

buzz_knox
March 8, 2001, 11:16 AM
I was just thinking about that same transition last night. I started with DA/SA and stayed with it for years, only shooting occasionally. In the last few years, I've gone from DA/SA to Glocks & single-action. The only weapon I carry with a long trigger pull is a Kahr, and that really is in the same vein as a Glock. My next purchase? HK P7.

I believe that as one's gunhandling skills improve and confidence is gained, there is a natural progression towards weapons that are able to provide the best possibility of first round hits yet remain perfectly safe in competent hands.

Al Thompson
March 8, 2001, 08:26 PM
Buzz, there used to be a decent gunstore next to West Town Mall - Brunners? - in the late 70's. My first handgun was bought there. Once we moved close to OR, I stopped in Gun Craft on a weekly basis. Got my second handgun there, Security Six, which I still have.

I started with a 1911 and have never been without one. I do agree that once your educated as to the ins and outs of handgunning, the SA guns are simply ahead of the pack. I do have revolvers and DA HGs, but they are for certain roles. My everything guns are 1911s.

The interesting thing to me is how well novice shooters shoot SA guns. Once you explain that the hammer does not drop unless you pull the trigger, the safe carrying and handling become less of an issue.

Giz

Farragut High, class of '77

Keith J
March 8, 2001, 08:44 PM
Lets also talk about clips. Very few pistols use "clips". Half moon,full moon etc are one kind but are only used in revolvers. The other kind are usually Broomhandle Mausers that use a stripper clip.

A clip is a part of a magazine or feeding device, usually built into the firearm that either holds the rounds for insertation and is discarded (stripper clip) or is used in conjunction with the firearms feeding device (en bloc, like a Garand, Sweedish Mauser or Carcano)and is ejected after the last round.

A magazine is used on every repeating firearm. Most repeating pistols have a removable magazine that is reloaded outside of the firearm. Its called a magazine and its a complete mechanism for feeding the rounds into the chamber under the assist of the slide.

OK, so I'm a little technical here. A while back, someone in the office asked I had illegal clips for my AR15. I responded that the only "clips" I had for my AR were 10 rounders.

Bobbalouie
March 9, 2001, 07:37 PM
I may live in Virginia, but I was born in Knoxville. I even worked at WestTown Mall, in fact. Gee, you guys are making me even more homesick! When I lived there, you just drove out NorthShore Road 'til you found a deserted quarry to shoot in. I guess that's out of the question now...

Bobbalouie

Bearden Class of '75

Tamara
March 9, 2001, 09:42 PM
Remember: You don't want the P-12.45 anymore... You'd rather have my G33... You're getting sleeepy, sooo sleeeepy. ;)

buzz_knox
March 9, 2001, 09:45 PM
Quiet, Taminator! I'm still trying to arrange a meeting between Lend and my lovely, beautiful two-tone 226. She's just perfect for him. I need to catch him while he's still in acquisition mode.

Dave T
March 9, 2001, 11:22 PM
Mr. Cooper used to say that the double action semiautomatic was the answer to a question the didn't need to be asked. As with most things involving handguns and self defense, his words are worth considering.
One of the advantages of the Glock, and I think a reason it has gained such acceptance with American Law Enforcement, is that it has one trigger pull. Single action autos have one trigger pull. Traditional double action autos have two trigger pulls to learn, not to mention the transition between.
To those new to handgun shooting (and to far to many police bureaucrats) the idea of a heavy pull for the first shot and lighter pull for subsequent shots seems appealing. My law enforcement experience bares out that here we have another case of people making decisions who don't know what the (expletive deleted) they are doing.

Smoking Joe
March 10, 2001, 01:42 AM
I have to agree with Mr. Lendringser. Once you get used to a 1911, its hard to go to anything else. I bought a Beretta after my 1911 and it took me over a 1000 rounds to get used to that double action.

IamNOTaNUT
March 10, 2001, 01:00 PM
Oh, I misunderstood the title. I have had three people, who should have known better, utter those exact same words to me since I began to carry a 1911 on a regular basis.

Uninformed observer: "Uh, did you know your gun is cocked?"

Me: "Yeah. What did you think of last night's Red Wings game?"

UO: "Is it supposed to be that way?"

Me: "What? Yzerman scoring the game winning goal? You bet your ass it's supposed to be that way!"

UO: "No, I mean your gun. Is it supposed to be cocked?"

Me:"Yeah, it won't go bang if it ain't cocked. So did you watch the game or not?" Etc....

Anybody else ever run into this? I have carried Glocks or Sigs for years and stayed away from the 1911 because I didn't like the idea of cocked and locked carry. Of course once I actually bought one and began to train with it I changed my mind. Nowadays, if I can get away with carrying a full size gun it is ALWAYS the Kimber 1911. It's just right.

Johnny Guest
March 11, 2001, 03:22 AM
KeithJ---

Thank you for setting us straight. ;)

Johnny
MOLON LABE!