PDA

View Full Version : 10th Anniversary LCP

SIMP
October 1, 2018, 10:32 AM
Have y'all seen this yet? I put me one on order this weekend. I've always liked the trigger Ruger put on the Custom model but never cared for the sights. Now I can get the same style trigger on my favorite version of Elsie. Cheers!

https://www.ruger.com/products/lcp/specSheets/3790.html

Model12Win
October 1, 2018, 12:34 PM
Oh look, the Elsie Trash.

My broke HARD within 60 rounds fired. JUNK!

SIMP
October 1, 2018, 12:41 PM

Oh wow! I don't think I'd trust it anymore either. However, I've owned several LCP's and had nothing but good results from mine.

gnystrom
October 1, 2018, 12:58 PM
I have two. One with the Sweet Pea trigger. Both run like a stolen car. One of the two is in my pocket on my daily 4 mile walks.

TruthTellers
October 1, 2018, 01:08 PM

The little .380's can be hit or miss in quality. I have two LCP's, probably have put under 100 rds in each, and they're still good.

The micro .380's aren't meant to be shot a lot. If you want a pocket .380 that you can shoot and shoot and shoot, get the Sig 938 or a Micro Desert Eagle.

MandolinMan
October 1, 2018, 05:21 PM

Ruger has sold many, many of these little pistols over the last ten years and overall they seem to have a fairly good reputation.

Armybrat
October 1, 2018, 09:13 PM
Ruger has sold over 1.5 million LCP pistols in 10 years.
The market has spoken.

Chainsaw.
October 1, 2018, 10:07 PM
I like the two tone. Adds nothing more that asthetics but still cool.

On the subject of reliability, my budy has one that Ive out at least 100 rounds through. He’s out several hundred through.
I had a Nissan that broke once, doesn’t mean all of em are junk.

kozak6
October 2, 2018, 04:29 AM
I find it intriguing.

I like the stainless slide and a less obnoxious LCP Custom trigger. The chevron style slide serrations look pretty sharp, although forward slide serrations seem a little silly on such a small pistol. I don't care about the engraving, but it's harmless.

My pocket has been screaming for something like this, except now my wallet is starting to agree. If I saw one in person for a good price, I'd have to bite. Thankfully, my local gun shop only has regular LCP's for some $375 or so.

It's pretty weird that this one is made in NC, while all the rest are made in Prescott. Anyone know anything about that?

mk70ss
October 2, 2018, 05:36 AM
Mine has been perfect over the 5 years I’ve had it. They are great little pocket guns.

Fishbed77
October 2, 2018, 08:57 AM
Oh wow! I don't think I'd trust it anymore either. However, I've owned several LCP's and had nothing but good results from mine.

A quick search will show that many of that particular posters claims are full of hyperbole or outright trollish content.

While there is no doubt that a tiny number of LCPs have had problems, or were subject to an early recall, the vast majority have been extremely reliable.

lee n. field
October 2, 2018, 10:09 AM
Have y'all seen this yet? I put me one on order this weekend. I've always liked the trigger Ruger put on the Custom model but never cared for the sights. Now I can get the same style trigger on my favorite version of Elsie. Cheers!

https://www.ruger.com/products/lcp/specSheets/3790.html

The "LCP Classic" needs better sights more than a custom trigger.

"Ruger Mayodan NC" -- new manufacturing location?

K_Mac
October 2, 2018, 08:29 PM
I once shot a Colt 1911with feed issues. It had less than 200 rounds through it when took a trip back for repairs. Does that make Colt 1911s junk M12? I have an LCP that shoots everything I put in it and has done so for several thousand rounds. I've also shot a bunch of others. I think the new version would make a fine addition to any pocket gun collection.

Cheapshooter
October 2, 2018, 08:46 PM
My gen 1 LCP has never failed. While it's approaching that ten years it hasn't been a weekly range gun so the round count isn't in the four digits. May be nearing it though because I like to keep familiar with it, and in my opion it fun to shoot. It is carried every day, shows some finish wear, but is 100% reliable. The sights are perfect, I don't use them. It was never intended to be a 25 yard "target" gun, and at 7-10 yards all my shots are on target. The trigger is just fine....for the same reason. It's a self defense pocket gun intended for up close, and personal encounters where there is no time for careful, and deliberate aim or "trigger control".

FrankenMauser
October 2, 2018, 09:13 PM
For $200... maybe.
For $300... nope.

I do think they're good pistols, but mine suffered a nasty string of malfunctions (and never got better) after a strange failure*.
After that, I couldn't trust it. I sold it, sold the spare magazines, and gave away the holsters.

*(Factory Hornady ammo. I fired a few rounds, and then there was a strange, extra-loud 'pop', but with lower-than-usual recoil. I was hit in the face by a copper ring (it landed on my sleeve), and the case failed to eject. No defects were noted. But, from then on, the pistol malfunctioned constantly with ALL ammo. FTFs, FTEs, strange stovepipes, mangled cases, and more. It went from reliable enough for daily carry, to an absolute dog with one trigger pull...
Yea, Ruger might have been able to repair it. But I had bigger fish to fry. It was easier to drop it with full disclosure and move on with life.)

Carl the Floor Walker
October 14, 2018, 07:05 AM
Ruger has sold over 1.5 million LCP pistols in 10 years.
The market has spoken.
Yes, the Market has spoken Army Brat. And it demonstrates the Power of Advertising. I can only imagine how much Ruger spent in advertising dollars on these. Cheap to make, and and a lot of profit on a inexpensive firearm. Most popular among the masses of new shooters certainly does NOT mean the Best firearm in class. Yes, they sold Millions, but how many of those never saw more than a few trips to the range. Especially after a few times of shooting these little beast. And for those that shot them often, had them totally fail with any substantial amount of ammodown range?
You and I know there are many superior 380's pocket guns available. And Many of these will not even be carried in a local LGS.
The LCP is a gun sellers favorite firearm to sell to the Newbie. They are cute, they do not cost much, and Backed by Ruger great customer service. Shooting them is a completely different matter .
Pathetic sights, high recoil, aluminum chassis. If you really want one, find a used one. I have seen them down to $100 at almost new condition, people just get rid of them in masses as well.

KyJim
October 14, 2018, 07:34 AM
My broke HARD within 60 rounds fired. JUNK! Instant Karma? Seriously, there's way too many LCPs out there that function well to simply declare the gun a piece of junk. I have one of the earlier models, complete with horrible trigger. But, I've never had a problem with it and often pocket-carry it.

Cheap to make, and and a lot of profit on a inexpensive firearm. The dream of any manufacturer. They are what they are. Functional.

Bill DeShivs
October 15, 2018, 09:23 PM
Ruger didn't even have R&D costs, they just copied the Keltec P3AT.

Carl the Floor Walker
October 16, 2018, 02:04 AM
Yes they are functional and reliable for the most part. However they are very cheaply made no matter how you cut it. They are reliable until they are not. For those that actually train on a pocket gun, shoot them on a regular basis, soon find out they will crack grips, frames, split rails, broken take down pins etc.
They do not put nice sights on these guns, Not because a pocket gun does not need them, but because it is too expensive to manufacturer.
They are what they are. A Cheap pocket gun for those that will not shoot often and carry a lot. However, these folks are doing themselves a disfavor. A pocket gun is not for beginners and they do require consistent training.
Get yourself a better built gun. The will be milder to shoot, have night sights or the ability to get them. They will be made of stainless steel or at least stainless steel inserts at the stress points in the Grip frame.
By the way, you can go to their forum and do a search of LCP problems and there will be pages of them. The good part is Ruger will replace the broken down guns. I had a number of them replaced. I still have one, but no longer shoot it.

K_Mac
October 16, 2018, 09:07 AM
For those that actually train on a pocket gun, shoot them on a regular basis, soon find out they will crack grips, frames, split rails, broken take down pins etc.

That has not been my experience, and I shoot mine regularly. I have several thousand rounds through mine, which represents a far bigger investment in ammo than the gun itself. I clean and inspect mine often as well and see no evidence of the failures mentioned. When mine shows evidence of excessive wear or impending failure I will buy another. I'll get back to you on that.

Eazyeach
October 16, 2018, 07:21 PM
Looks kinda cool.

wild cat mccane
October 19, 2018, 06:38 AM
I sent my new $160 LCP to Metaloy Works and for $90 I got the slide, barrel, guide rod, and take down pin hard chromed.

Having owned the LCP in stainless, the barrel is still poorly coated.

Having owned a Custom and a gen2 at the same time, I assure you, there is zero difference in trigger weight between the metal trigger and the plastic trigger from Ruger.

I would still opt for the Metaloy Works hard chroming of the barrel at a few bucks more.

Story on my Stainless LCP vs my Hard Chrome: https://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=591618