PDA

View Full Version : Where does your 1911 throw brass to?

dwhite
July 2, 2018, 05:16 PM
As a reloader I have no shame in scrounging my brass off the floor of the range I shoot at. Problem though, it hits the divider between stalls and goes over the line into no-mans land and is therefore lost.

I've had/have an SW40VE, Stoeger Cougar 8040, Glock 22, Taurus PT 24/7 PRO in .40 and none of them gave me this problem.

Ideas?

All the Best,
D. White

hodaka
July 2, 2018, 05:40 PM
My Ruger throws them to 1-2 o'clock where my S&W throws them to 5 o'clock, at least mostly. It can be altered by someone who wrenches on 1911's.

RickB
July 2, 2018, 05:41 PM
You can change the ejection angle and distance by adjusting the length and shape of the ejector, the shape and tension of the extractor, and the rating of the recoil spring.

I don't know that there's as much science as art, in knowing what to adjust and how much, especially when the specific load is also playing a part.

Would it be possible to add some sort of deflector to the stall divider?
Is the problem more the direction or distance?

reddog81
July 2, 2018, 06:26 PM
If I have a gun that's doing that I just take one step back and it solves the problem 90% of the time.

Bilbo463
July 2, 2018, 06:44 PM
I have three steel Commander size 1911’s and none of them eject rounds in any consistent pattern.... The spent shells will land anywhere between 1 oclock and 6 o’clock. In the beginning I worried that this was an warning that my pistols may turn out to be unreliable, but this fear has become a non issue. My Ed Brown in 45 acp has never had malfunction in nearly 9,000 rounds. In fact, I’ve never had a malfunction with any of my Commanders. I ‘ce Found that if you reload light rounds the shells don’t fly far. They may just drop at your feet. I also step back a little bit.... I still loose shells, but not as many.

rock185
July 2, 2018, 07:08 PM
RickB beat me to it, ejector, extractor, recoil spring. But if you have a gun that is reliable as is, the deflector idea, or perhaps some sort of catch net might be worth investigating. I saw a video of Swiss shooters on an indoor range using a net to their right to catch spent cases...

Model12Win
July 2, 2018, 07:29 PM
Right on my eyebrows. It's quite annoying to say the least! I need to tune the extractor or something.

xcc_rider
July 2, 2018, 09:12 PM
They've been hitting me in the head for 45 years.

I wear a hat when I shoot my Commander...

TailGator
July 3, 2018, 03:34 PM
If I have a gun that's doing that I just take one step back and it solves the problem 90% of the time.

My solution, as well. Inelegant, perhaps, but effective.

Dufus
July 3, 2018, 05:00 PM
I made a shell catcher out of a big fish net. Not 100% effective, but damn near.

Mike38
July 3, 2018, 05:12 PM
Mine tosses empties at 2:00 about 3 to 5 feet out. This is with light target loads, a 12 pound recoil spring, a Millennium Custom extractor, and a flat (no nose tab) ejector.

dwhite
July 4, 2018, 01:22 PM
Think I'm going to try a heavier recoil spring. Once I settle on a load I'll
find a weight that keeps them closer.

Where I shoot, if I take a step back the lighting changes and the sights get hard to see.
Sucks shooting indoors.

All the Best,
D. White