PDA

View Full Version : C96 Broomhandle

Pave Pilot
March 4, 2001, 09:56 AM
I have a shot at a pristine C96 Broomhandle, (it ought to be, unfortunately, at some point it was refinished).
It's a mil gun, 1920's "9mm Mauser" chamber, not 9x19 para. (same dimensions, but a hotter loading)No pitting,crisp original barrel and original grips (VG+).

They want $575.

I have several "collector grade Lugers, plus my few "shooters". I can get ballpark figures on the Lugers, from books and web sites, but haven't had much luck getting the same on Broomhandles...

Please, no flames or "unless you're an expert you shouldn't buy one" replies...

Ideas? Thought? Thanks!

Pave Pilot
March 4, 2001, 10:01 AM
Moderators.....I'm sorry, I should have put this in H.Nolden....Could you move it please?

Kenneth L. Walters
March 4, 2001, 10:29 AM
Sounds like a reasonable price to me.

radom
March 4, 2001, 02:42 PM
The 9mm mauser "export" caliber is not that common. Sounds like a great deal to me if its in any kind of decent condition. 9mm mauser uses a case that is about the same length as the 7.62 cal. A hotter load and a longer case.

beemerb
March 4, 2001, 07:45 PM
Should be able to shorten 9mm win mag cases to make 9 mauser rounds.

Hard Ball
March 4, 2001, 08:20 PM
Even refinnished that is a very good price for a C96 chambered for the 9mm Mauser cartridge.

johnwill
March 4, 2001, 09:35 PM
I'd closely inspect the gun if it's going to be a shooter. One very common failure point on this gun is the bolt stop slot will be seriously peened or cracked. If this area is cracked, replacement of the barrel/barrel extension, probably the most expensive part of the gun. The cracks can be quite small, so careful examination with a magnifying glass is called for.