PDA

View Full Version : Glock 21 First Time

TruthTellers
February 21, 2018, 07:17 PM
Went to a local gun shop today to try a Glock 21 they had for rent as I've been thinking about getting one and because I've never shot .45 from a semi-auto pistol.

I brought my G35 in .40 as well to compare the two and I didn't feel much difference in recoil. In fact, I would say they were almost the same and so now I can see why there's not much reason to choose a .45 over a .40 given it's larger and the ammunition costs more and the stopping power and energy are about the same, if not in favor of the .40 based solely on muzzle energy.

The store's website had said it was a Gen 3 and when I got there it was a Gen 4. I had primarily gone to test the grip and to see if the large grip of the 21 would be an issue and if the SF model would be better. Given that the Gen 4 is very much like the 21SF, I think if I do get a Gen 3 G21 in the future, it will be an SF.

But the whole reason I'm interested in the G21 is to be able to convert it to 10mm and I may just buy a Glock 20 or 40 instead.

Ruger45LC
February 21, 2018, 08:34 PM
I've had several G21's including a few Gen4 models and for me, it's the best shooting .45 out there. That said, I don't see the .45 as a meaningful upgrade over a .40, I actually prefer the .40. The G20 and G40 (I have G20, have had G40) are great shooters too. I would just get a 10mm if that's what you're after, of all the conversions you can do with Glocks, the .45 to 10mm is the most problematic of them all.

BTW the Gen3 SF frame and Gen4 frame are the same size, only difference is that the Gen4 has grippier texturing and allows for the use of supplied backstraps.

JDBerg
February 21, 2018, 08:52 PM
I replaced my early Gen4 G22 that had the ejector replaced since it would launch spent casings directly back at my face which I considered a safety hazard. The situation wasn’t much better after the ejector was replaced.

I picked up a later Gen4 G21 which I have liked since day one, it shoots every type of steel, aluminum and brass cased ammo reliably and accurately and it really is one of my favorite pistols. The large beavertail backstrap saves the web of my shooting hand from getting sliced up from the wider slide of the G21, compared to my 9mm Glocks. The G22 was promptly traded off once I realized how much better the G21 was. For my purposes at least.

boondocker385
February 22, 2018, 03:36 AM
I currently own two glocks: a 20 and a 21. If you want a 10mm get a 20. It is my favorite 10mm. i have several 10mm that are way more expensive than the 20, but the 20 is my favorite to shoot.. I own a 21 because the 45 acp not only kills bad guys, but it takes their souls...lol. everyone needs a 45 acp just because it is a great round

Siggy-06
February 22, 2018, 09:13 AM
I really wish the Glock 20/21 fit my hands. Ironically, the Glock 29/30 compacts fit me fine. I'll get a high capacity .45 or 10mm eventually.

Jackpro555
February 22, 2018, 09:39 AM
How about Glock 20? Did you try it before?

Coppershot
February 22, 2018, 09:57 AM
I have a Glock 21 Gen 2 and two Glock 21 Gen 4's. I would just get the Glock 20 and put a Zev trigger in it (and maybe some Dawson Precision sights.)

TruthTellers
February 22, 2018, 11:24 AM
As opposed to I am to RMR's and originally I didn't want any RMR's on my Glocks, for how large the G40 is, I'm starting to think that the addition of an RMR isn't the boogeyman I've made it out to be. I mean, the gun is already large as it is, a red dot on the slide isn't going to turn it from a brick to boat anchor or anything.

Uh, so... I think maybe I'll get the G40.

But, I still can't deny the fact that if I get a Glock 21, I could easily convert it to 10mm entirely via an upper, for around the same money that a G40 sells for. Then I'd have both a .45 and a 10mm.

mr bolo
February 25, 2018, 01:51 AM
it's better just to buy a complete Glock 20 if you want 10mm

locnload
February 25, 2018, 01:23 PM
I am anxiously awaiting my new G-21 that I won in a local GSSF match last year. I received a form to fill out and had to pick from several available models, its surprising how difficult it is to choose when they throw you a freebie. I already have a 17,26, two 19s,a 43, and a 30SF, so I'm pretty well set for carry options and decided to go for a large frame more suitable for carrying while hunting or fishing in the land of large predators. A friend who is a fan of the 10mm almost had me talked into a G 20, but since I buy 9mm and 45 ACP in large volumes, I opted to go with the 21.
I owned a G21 before and liked it, but I sold it to buy something else I wanted more. The G21 was certainly the smoothest shooting 45 I have ever shot and I will be glad to have one in the stable again. :)

Recoil spring
February 25, 2018, 02:03 PM
I went with a Model 21 for my .45 ACP gun a few years ago (Gen. 4 bought used). I had rented one in the mid-90's at a range and liked it, wanted the bigger size for range and home protection, won't carry it concealed. Have seen the films on the smaller framed versions of the Glocks, not sure how they shoot in comparison, but I wanted full size.

As I have owned 4 Glocks in the past I wanted to give Smith and Wesson or FN a try this time, but the research showed Glock was the way to go. Been happy with it. Oddly, my Gen. 4 was sold as used, was $100.00 less than a new one and when I field stripped it the gun may have had one magazine fired through it, looked like new all around, came with 3 magazines and a case, weird.