PDA

View Full Version : 1911 parts

Koda94
February 7, 2018, 12:20 AM
I thought most of the smaller parts to a 1911 were interchangeable and not caliber specific. I know the frame feed ramp, breech face and obviously barrel are all caliber specific.

I'm looking for an authentic Colt extended safety lock, but cant find one available... they are all sold out everywhere. Then I see on available but it says its for a 38 Super, and another one for 9mm. IIRC Ive seen this too with slide lock levers. Are these parts really caliber specific? I'm guessing its just the web designer doesn't know better.

I'm looking for a Colt extended safety lock, like the ones that come on their new Competition guns. Seems like these are a popular item and sold out everywhere, Id be grateful if anyone can share a link to buy one...
https://www.colt.com/Catalog/Pistols/Colt-Competition-Pistol

So what is the list for caliber specific parts on a 1911?

Aguila Blanca
February 7, 2018, 07:03 AM
The slide stop is different form 9mm/.38 Super, but not the thumb safety.

9x19
February 7, 2018, 08:18 AM
Thumb safety is not caliber specific, neither is it a drop-in part. It will require fitting to your pistol. Good luck.

rodfac
February 7, 2018, 10:31 AM
Interesting info, Aguila. I've had a .45 ACP Colt Combat Commander for over 25 years which also runs well with Colt Series 70 vintage 9mm and .38 Super slide and barrel assemblies. When I fitted them, (which was basically a drop in), I changed out the ejector but that was all. The gun operates perfectly with any of the three calibers but will lock back after firing the last shot in the magazine with only the .45 slide. The same slide/barrel assemblies work equally well on my Ruger CMD and with the same failure to lock back following the last shot.

BTW, the .38 Super magazines will feed 9mm's with no problem, but not the reverse because of the length of the individual rounds. Too, either barrel will work in either slide. And the .38 is actually more accurate than the original .45 barrel.

It's a problem that doesn't especially bother me, as I keep track of round counts while firing. But I've learned something here...thanks...if I run across a 9mm or .38 Super slide stop lever, I'll give it a try. BTW, I've got Kuhnhausen's excellent shop manuals on the 1911...I'll have to do some research on this. Rod

BigJimP
February 7, 2018, 10:48 AM
Thumb safeties are not "drop in parts" they will have to be fit to operate properly.

You can put whatever you want in your gun...but I don't see any reason to use "colt" parts on a Colt or any other 1911....when there are much better parts available from companies like Wilson Combat, etc...for 1911's.

dahermit
February 7, 2018, 11:11 AM
Thumb safeties are not "drop in parts" they will have to be fit to operate properly.Sometimes they drop in and work, sometimes they do not.

RickB
February 7, 2018, 11:18 AM
I have also kept my eye out for Colt factory ambi safeties, and rarely ever see them.
You'd think that so many have been changed out for "better" parts that there would be plenty available.
Colt has used a variety of safeties on Custom Shop guns, including Ed Brown, Novak and Cylinder & Slide, so you don't necessarily have to use the ambi that came on the XSE and USMC pistols in recent years to get "factory" appearance and function.

HiBC
February 7, 2018, 01:42 PM
The gun operates perfectly with any of the three calibers but will lock back after firing the last shot in the magazine with only the .45 slide.

rodfac: I'd bet you already know this,but for the benefit of the OP:
Bingo! That's the issue.The mag follower on a 45 ACP is wider than the mag follower on a 38 Super/9mm.Its the mag follower that lifts the slide stop.Different slide stop.

There are some aftermarket variations,but the firing pin port in the slide is a smaller dia for 9mm/38 super.Different firing pin.IIRC,different firing pin stop.

The case head is a different dia,so the ejector slot in the slide,and the ejector are different..

Aguila Blanca
February 7, 2018, 05:33 PM
Interesting info, Aguila. I've had a .45 ACP Colt Combat Commander for over 25 years which also runs well with Colt Series 70 vintage 9mm and .38 Super slide and barrel assemblies. When I fitted them, (which was basically a drop in), I changed out the ejector but that was all. The gun operates perfectly with any of the three calibers but will lock back after firing the last shot in the magazine with only the .45 slide.
And that's why the slide stops are different for the different calibers.

44 AMP
February 7, 2018, 06:22 PM
Thumb safeties are not "drop in parts" they will have to be fit to operate properly.

Sometimes they drop in and work, sometimes they do not.

If all the parts meet the GI spec, the safety will drop in, and work.

If it doesn't you grab another one out of the parts bin, and it will work. If IT doesn't, repeat the process until you get one that does, and round file the others. :D

If ANY of the parts isn't GI spec, then all bets are off, and you will need to fit them together to get them to work.

Koda94
February 8, 2018, 12:27 AM
thanks for the replies, some good information here. I didn't know slide stops were caliber specific but it makes sense now...

some more info: I know parts aren't always really "drop in" and always have a qualified 1911 smith do any work. I want to replace a GI style safety lock but don't want a huge "wing" and like the looks of the size of the Colts extended... just cant find one. I'm not against another company just thought since I liked the Colt one I would keep all parts Colt if I could. I don't want an ambi.

9x19
February 8, 2018, 07:29 AM
If all the parts meet the GI spec, the safety will drop in, and work.

If it doesn't you grab another one out of the parts bin, and it will work. If IT doesn't, repeat the process until you get one that does, and round file the others. :D

If ANY of the parts isn't GI spec, then all bets are off, and you will need to fit them together to get them to work.
The OP can't even find ONE and you are talking about a bin full... that's just mean! :D

RickB
February 8, 2018, 12:21 PM
Of course, there's no G.I. spec for .38 Super, 9mm, or 10mm-specific parts.

9x19
February 8, 2018, 02:57 PM
Here's a video for those who enjoy the history of the M1911... it shows some of those parts bins mentioned above. :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=3&v=Q7XUtgIVo7k

boatbum101
February 8, 2018, 03:10 PM
Been my experience that " drop in " on anything 1911 is a rarity . Most need fitting .

Hunter Customs
February 9, 2018, 09:40 AM
In my notes Colt list 4 different slide stops, #1=45, #2=22Ace and conversions,#3=9mm and 38 super, #4=10mm. Also the #2 slide stop was used in the Gold Cup National Match 38special guns. I had a MKIV in 40S&W and it had a #5 slide stop.

mr bolo
February 10, 2018, 06:18 PM
every thumb safety I have ever used was a "drop in part" I put WW2 surplus safeties in all my modern M1911A1's no problem, no fitting was required.

a true GI spec M1911A1 will take most parts designed for the GI 45

even my NORINCO M1911 accepted all USGI parts