PDA

View Full Version : Glock 20 10mm Question

Model12Win
December 31, 2017, 04:18 AM
Guys I'm wanting to get a Glock 20 in 10mm but the ammo is pricey... do you think I could also get a .40 S&W barrel from Lone Wolf etc. so I could use both types of ammo? No I don't reload and no I don't intend to start. I just like the idea of basically a 16 shot .357 magnum power level handgun that I can also shoot cheap .40 S&W through for training purposes.

Thoughts?

Dan-O
December 31, 2017, 04:42 AM
Yes.

Model12Win
December 31, 2017, 06:09 AM
Yes.
You think it'd be a good idea?

reddog81
December 31, 2017, 09:26 AM
It depends on how much you shoot. I just checked ammoseek.com and it looks like .40 is about $.10 cheap per round. I'm guessing the barrel is around $100. So after 1,000 rounds of shooting you'll come out ahead.

VoodooMountain
December 31, 2017, 09:42 AM
I’ve never tried it in my 20 but a lot of guys shoot 40 in your 20 as is without any modifications or another barrel.

http://https://www.google.com/amp/www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2015/06/jeremy-s/40-in-a-10mm-glock/amp/ (http://www.google.com/amp/www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2015/06/jeremy-s/40-in-a-10mm-glock/amp/)

Screwball
December 31, 2017, 09:58 AM
I’ve never tried it in my 20 but a lot of guys shoot 40 in your 20 as is without any modifications or another barrel.

http://https://www.google.com/amp/www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2015/06/jeremy-s/40-in-a-10mm-glock/amp/ (http://www.google.com/amp/www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2015/06/jeremy-s/40-in-a-10mm-glock/amp/)

I wouldn’t...

I’m sure it works for people who try it, but why would I want to add more stress to an extractor? The only thing holding a .40 inside a 10mm chamber is the extractor. So, you have that stress (firing pin hitting a case that has forward give), as well as pulling the fired case out of the chamber, and being the fixed point that allows the case to eject when the slide allows the ejector to protrude.

The only way I’ll shoot .40 (or .357 SIG) out of my 1006 is if that project on S&W Forum ever moves forward... and I get the two conversion barrels I wanted.

amd6547
December 31, 2017, 10:15 AM
When I owned a 1006, it was suggested in a magazine article that using 40 in it was acceptable.
Since 10mm was scarce, I tried it. My LGS had Federal classic 40s&w 155gn jhp cheap, and it shot great. No issues whatsoever, about 400 rounds.
With a Glock 20, barrels are pretty cheap and available...I’d go that route.

Dan-O
December 31, 2017, 10:34 AM
I’m one of the guilty ones that shoots .40 from their stock 10mm guns.

otasan
December 31, 2017, 11:07 AM
Sounds good to me.

Sevens
December 31, 2017, 11:35 AM
My Glock 29 was my primary EDC for 7+ years so the idea that shooting .40cal from it and even possibly stressing the extractor or smacking the end of my 10mm chamber with .40cal
on a pistol that I carried for defense? That wasn't something I would ever do.

If it was just a fun gun, maybe I would try it... a Glock afterall, not a museum piece.

So I sprung for a KKM barrel for it chambered in .40cal. A drop-in, no fit required deal. It still runs absolutely 100% and I have a documented 3,000+ rounds of .40cal through it.

That's what I did and that's what I would do again.

jmr40
December 31, 2017, 02:30 PM
You can find 10mm ammo priced right if you look around, I get it cheaper than 45 and only slightly more than 40 S&W. You'd have to shoot a ton of 40 ammo to pay for the extra barrel. I also have Glocks in 9mm for even cheaper practice.

And I've tried 40's in the G20 and G29. They work just fine with no modification. You MIGHT cause some extra wear by doing this, but I doubt it. At most you might need to clean the barrel and chamber more often and carefully.

I'd just shop around for cheaper 10mm ammo and if you needed to shoot 40's occasionally would do so.

I buy most of my ammo from these guys.

http://www.georgia-arms.com/new-10mm-180gr-full-metal-jacket/

wild cat mccane
December 31, 2017, 03:05 PM
Cheap 10mm typically is at 40 levels. What's the point if that's what you are going to majority shoot?

Question is, are you going to REALLY shoot the fiercest 10mm rounds like Underwood or BB? If not, 10mm is pointless.

Model12Win
December 31, 2017, 03:31 PM
Cheap 10mm typically is at 40 levels. What's the point if that's what you are going to majority shoot?

Question is, are you going to REALLY shoot the fiercest 10mm rounds like Underwood or BB? If not, 10mm is pointless.
Yes I plan to buy the Double Tap loads from Mike McNett. I hear they are full-power, giving 750 ft-lbs of energy from a Glock 20 with their 155 grain load. I also want to try Underwood ammo too.

I do shoot a far amount and 200 rounds or so per range session isn't uncommon for me. Someone said I could pay of the .40 S&W barrel in about 1000 round of ammo.

So I'm getting conflicting report on whether or not it's okay to shoot .40 in a stock G20? As this could be a defensive gun, I'd rather not put stress on it.

Comparing 10mm and .40 costs, ammoseek.com shows a roughly $0.10 cents difference per round, so .40 S&W is about 50% less costly to shoot:

https://ammoseek.com/ammo/10mm-auto

https://ammoseek.com/ammo/40sw

I certainly plan to shoot much more than 1000 rounds of .40 in the gun. I have access to a public shooting area in the desert so go to the range much more often than I used to.

HighValleyRanch
December 31, 2017, 03:50 PM
I've owned a glock 29 and two different glock 20's in the past for my woods carry guns. The glock 29 always felt like a brick, being so short and fat. The glock 20 was much larger, and then the last one I cut the grip to the 29 size, added a bumper on the bottom of the mag so it ended up the grip length of a glock 19 (perfect) and had the longer sight radius and longer velocity of the glock 20 barrel. Only reason I sold it was because I moved over to revolvers for my woods carry and only being to have three guns on the carry permit, the glock got sold. Carried the DT and BB in the woods and shot with Federal american eagle at the range.
https://thefiringline.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=106540&stc=1&d=1514753320

But most likely will own another in the future, but the SF model.

agtman
December 31, 2017, 05:36 PM
My Glock 29 was my primary EDC for 7+ years so the idea that shooting .40cal from it and even possibly stressing the extractor or smacking the end of my 10mm chamber with .40cal on a pistol that I carried for defense? That wasn't something I would ever do.

Totally agree. :cool:

My Glock 29 was my primary EDC for 7+ years so the idea that shooting .40cal from it and even possibly stressing the extractor or smacking the end of my 10mm chamber with .40cal
on a pistol that I carried for defense? That wasn't something I would ever do.

If it was just a fun gun, maybe I would try it... a Glock afterall, not a museum piece.

So I sprung for a KKM barrel for it chambered in .40cal. A drop-in, no fit required deal. It still runs absolutely 100% and I have a documented 3,000+ rounds of .40cal through it.

Did that too but with a LWD .40 tube (stock length). Runs great.

Cheapshooter
December 31, 2017, 05:50 PM
Thoughts
My thoughts, Why did you buy a V8 if you want to chop two cylinders off?:eek:

HighValleyRanch
December 31, 2017, 05:55 PM
no different than someone getting a .357 and shooting .38 special most of the time. the option for more power.

Screwball
December 31, 2017, 06:02 PM
no different than someone getting a .357 and shooting .38 special most of the time. the option for more power.

Except .38s/.357s are held in place by the rim...

Sevens
December 31, 2017, 06:08 PM
Won't answer for anyone but myself...

Carried 10mm and practiced with 10mm when I was shooting on my preferred range where I had no problem corralling my brass. Anyone who has ever loved and handloaded 10mm since before the the turn of the century knows the fantastic pain and suffering of losing 10 brass.

The KKM .40cal barrel allowed me to shoot at day-long functions, events with lost brass stages and other assorted places where losing .40 brass is no care whatsoever.

Sure, the recoil is a little less, and one could make vitriolic rants with regards to "training one way and carrying another" (blah blah blah blah save it, loudmouth) but all of it was enjoyable trigger time that made me a better shooter, and I never lost a single piece of 10mm brass doing it.

HighValleyRanch
December 31, 2017, 06:25 PM
Screwball, I don't think Cheapshooter was referring to the problem of shooting .40 in 10mm, but that why buy a powerful caliber and then shoot only .40 low power in it. i.e. "chop off 2 cylinders"

Cheapshooter
December 31, 2017, 07:54 PM
HighValleyRanch, you are correct sir!

Except with the 38 Spcl. option in a 357 magnum you don't have to change barrels!:eek:

Model12Win
December 31, 2017, 08:04 PM
So it seems some aren't a fan of doing it, saying to shoot only 10mm or just shoot .40 S&W...

Snuffy308
December 31, 2017, 08:27 PM
Shop around the net for some of the Sig 10mm. Seems the last I found was quite reasonable for 10mm and it closely mimics the original Norma loading. I know it's right spicey in my delta.

Chui
December 31, 2017, 08:33 PM
10mm costs the same as .45ACP now.

Get it!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

agtman
December 31, 2017, 08:52 PM
Except with the 38 Spcl. option in a 357 magnum you don't have to change barrels!

Well, if you want to keep the platforms strictly analogous and actually compare apples to apples, ...

There was the S&W 610 revolver which, using moonclips, allowed for shooting either 10mm AUTO or .40 S&W cartridges without changing barrels.

In autoloaders, barrel-swapping capability seems to make the most sense with the Glock platform, since with the 10mm models - provided you have the extra barrels - you can shoot .40, .357Sig, and 9x25 Dillon. All these cartridges will run using the factory 10mm mags and recoil assembly.

That said, I've also seen a couple of 10mm Delta Elites in my time that had spare, custom-fitted .40S&W barrels the owners could swap in. They used the stock 8-rd Delta mags with the .40 cartridges and had no apparent feed issues.

Cheapshooter
December 31, 2017, 08:53 PM
Now if I were going to get a second barrel for my G20, and I probably will, it's going to be a 9X25 Dillon. You know, the round that makes the 357 Sig look like that V8 with two cylinders chopped off.:D

5whiskey
December 31, 2017, 09:02 PM
OK so I don't think OPs idea is bad. Get a G20, get a .40s&w barrel, and practice cheap if that's your wish.

I would not recommend shooting a bunch of .40s&w out of a 10mm chamber. I don't care about stressing the extractor, that can be replaced easy enough. My concern is the the round is not head spacing properly. The bullet is actually set back a touch from the shoulders in the chamber, and I would be concerned that shooting the short 40 cases could shave a little off the projectiles. Over time those shavings could alterr the headspace in the chamber. It wouldn't be a big deal, until you do it a lot and then got to shoot stout 10mm when the chamber is a few hundredths shorter, leaving that much of the head of the stout 10 mm load unsupported by the chamber. That high pressure round needs all the case head support it can get or you get separation. And that will make your gun kaboom. Just my thoughts on the matter.

disseminator
January 1, 2018, 01:51 AM
Get the 40 barrel.

I got a 40 cal Lone Wolf and have many hundreds of rounds through my Glock 20 with the 10mm mags and standard spring.

No problems at all.

Buckeye!
January 1, 2018, 03:48 PM
I have seen where 20/29 owners have ran 40 S&W out of their pistols without a conversion barrel .. I have maybe 50 or so to see it the fed .. They did .. was accurate ... I really see no reason to though .. Piece of mind 100 bucks ... for another barrel ... I may get one for my 29 ..

CockNBama
January 1, 2018, 04:08 PM
I think .40 in a Ten is pole-vaulting over mouseturds. Use a .22 for volume firing practice.

Model12Win
January 2, 2018, 05:41 AM
I think .40 in a Ten is pole-vaulting over mouseturds. Use a .22 for volume firing practice.
Maybe but I think it's mainly you that thinks this.

Guys I'm going to go ahead and do it! Getting a Glock 20 Gen 3 SF and an aftermarket .40 barrel.

Been eyeing this for some time. The only thing I don't like about the Glock is the lack of a safety or double action trigger. I like to keep my nightstand guns out and ready to access so the striker-fired Glock will have to go in a holster as I don't trust the trigger to be exposed with a round chambered siting on the table. I plan to use Double Tap 155 grain loads for home defense usage.

Lohman446
January 2, 2018, 11:10 AM
$15 a box - order a bunch of this and forgo the .40 barrel. At least that was my solution.

http://www.sgammo.com/product/10mm-auto-ammo/50-round-box-10mm-auto-180-grain-fmj-ammo-sellier-bellot-sb10a

brian33x51
January 2, 2018, 05:35 PM
Nowadays I'd almost suggest going for the glock 40 over the 20. I currently have a gen2 g20.

agtman
January 2, 2018, 06:28 PM
$15 a box - order a bunch of this and forgo the .40 barrel. At least that was my solution.
http://www.sgammo.com/product/10mm-auto-ammo/50-round-box-10mm-auto-180-grain-fmj-ammo-sellier-bellot-sb10a

Check that link for the video review of the S&B ammo. From the longest barrel the reviewer used (4.5") to chrono it, the S&B 180gn 10mm load averaged 1056fps/446fpe, ... so yeah (LOL! :D ), if you want to shoot "40-level" 10mm ammo out of your G20, that's definitely your factory load.

Go for it! :rolleyes:

upstate81
January 2, 2018, 06:42 PM
Places like Aim surplus have .40 cal glock police trade ins for around 350 i think (0nly the baby glock 27 at the moment) After you pay for a barrel how much more are you gaining over spending 200 or so more for a whole other gun? Id look around and buy both guns.

agtman
January 2, 2018, 07:01 PM
Places like Aim surplus have .40 cal glock police trade ins for around 350 i think (0nly the baby glock 27 at the moment) After you pay for a barrel how much more are you gaining over spending 200 or so more for a whole other gun? Id look around and buy both guns.

Fuzzy math? :confused: Why buy two guns, a 10mm & a .40 Glock? ... Not to mention the different magazines both require, and holsters (if the O.P. want to EDC one or both)?

You pay what?, $150 max for a stock-length .40 drop-in tube for a G20? Several barrel makers out there.

How's buying a second "L.E. trade-in" .40 Glock cheaper than the aftermarket .40 barrel alone?

upstate81
January 2, 2018, 08:01 PM
Um lets see. Buy a barrel only for 100 or 150+ pick your flavor. Or spend 350 on a whole other gun and not shoot the wrong chambering in a possible defensive firearm. To me spending just 200 hundred more is worth having 2 firearms. A justifiable expense. Not to mention, how much will the 10mm be shot and or carried to justify all the expected magazine and different holster system purchases? Probably not much. Kinda like going to costco and buying in bulk.

agtman
January 2, 2018, 08:52 PM
Um lets see. Buy a barrel only for 100 or 150+ pick your flavor. Or spend 350 on a whole other gun and not shoot the wrong chambering in a possible defensive firearm. To me spending just 200 hundred more is worth having 2 firearms. A justifiable expense. Not to mention, how much will the 10mm be shot and or carried to justify all the expected magazine and different holster system purchases? Probably not much. Kinda like going to costco and buying in bulk.

Huh??? :confused: Okay, when you figure out what you're talking about, let me let know. :rolleyes:

Cheapshooter
January 2, 2018, 09:37 PM
How's buying a second "L.E. trade-in" .40 Glock cheaper than the aftermarket .40 barrel alone?
Maybe not cheaper, but hey, Glocks are like potato chips. You just can't stop with one.:D

upstate81
January 2, 2018, 09:44 PM
Thats what i was thinking. Always better to have more guns than barrels in a drawer.

seeker_two
January 2, 2018, 11:02 PM
Why not get a .40S&W pistol and run hot ammo? Both gun and ammo would be cheaper; and, unless you're dealing with large animals, you probably won't need full-power 10mm anyway.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

disseminator
January 3, 2018, 03:31 AM
Nowadays I'd almost suggest going for the glock 40 over the 20. I currently have a gen2 g20.

Why not get a .40S&W pistol and run hot ammo? Both gun and ammo would be cheaper; and, unless you're dealing with large animals, you probably won't need full-power 10mm anyway.

This is actually good advice right here.

I would buy the 40 today over the Glock 20. 10mm is over-hyped big time. The 40 is a great round that is available in way more guns and the ammo is far more available too.

5whiskey
January 3, 2018, 09:26 AM
I would buy the 40 today over the Glock 20. 10mm is over-hyped big time. The 40 is a great round that is available in way more guns and the ammo is far more available too.

Umm, the Glock MODEL 40 is chambered in 10mm. It is similar to the Glock 20 except with a 6" barrel. Which gives you a fair deal more when shooting "real" 10mm.

From the longest barrel the reviewer used (4.5") to chrono it, the S&B 180gn 10mm load averaged 1056fps/446fpe, ... so yeah (LOL! ), if you want to shoot "40-level" 10mm ammo out of your G20, that's definitely your factory load.

If the OP is not going to reload it makes sense to me if he's looking for cheap practice ammo. You're shooting fairly inexpensive ammo to practice, but ammo that is made for the firearm and has proper headspace. I too prefer more full-power loads, but I also reload and it may cost me half a penny more a round to load to 10mm energy vs .40s&w energy, if even that. The OP doesn't reload and this makes perfect sense for his purposes of wanting less expensive practice ammo.

agtman
January 3, 2018, 10:48 AM
If the OP is not going to reload it makes sense to me if he's looking for cheap practice ammo. You're shooting fairly inexpensive ammo to practice, but ammo that is made for the firearm and has proper headspace. I too prefer more full-power loads, but I also reload and it may cost me half a penny more a round to load to 10mm energy vs .40s&w energy, if even that. The OP doesn't reload and this makes perfect sense for his purposes of wanting less expensive practice ammo.

Well, Sig's 180gn 10mm FMJ ammo @ 1250fps isn't that pricey (per 50-rd box), and it allows the non-reloader to get trigger-time with something in the upper mid-range of the 10mm's energy curve.

Cheapshooter
January 3, 2018, 11:43 AM
Umm, the Glock MODEL 40 is chambered in 10mm. It is similar to the Glock 20 except with a 6" barrel. Which gives you a fair deal more when shooting "real" 10mm.
LOL, Yup, that new G40 is really going to mess up the folks that have been talking about their "Glock Fody".
My son bought a G40 MOS and added a Vortex optic for his " alternative methods" deer season gun. That thing is awesome. Thinking about adding one to the "accumulation".:D

Model12Win
January 3, 2018, 11:51 AM
I see. So there really isn't any big difference in a hot .40 over 10mm? I might have to give those .40 police trade ins a look.

Cheapshooter
January 3, 2018, 11:58 AM
So there really isn't any big difference in a hot .40 over 10mm?:confused:
All 40S&W is loaded pretty hot. If one of those boutique ammo companies is claiming +P, or "hot" 40 S&W they are blowing smoke, or potentially blowing up your gun!

Areoflyer09
January 3, 2018, 12:19 PM
I see. So there really isn't any big difference in a hot .40 over 10mm? I might have to give those .40 police trade ins a look.
Only if you are looking at the mild side of 10mms.

Take a gander at the Underwood options for each caliber using the same bullet weight and you’ll see a trend of the 10mm is always higher.

5whiskey
January 3, 2018, 12:54 PM

You will not get close to even mid 10mm levels safely with the .40s&w

Sig's 180gn 10mm FMJ ammo @ 1250fps isn't that pricey (per 50-rd box)

I haven't priced ammo lately but it's good to know for 10mm shooters. I'd say that's a pretty warm load too. It is about the top end of what I would do reloading.

disseminator
January 3, 2018, 03:36 PM

Yeah, I meant the Glock 35 in 40 caliber. So many numbers....

greentick
January 3, 2018, 04:51 PM
Carried 10mm and practiced with 10mm when I was shooting on my preferred range where I had no problem corralling my brass. Anyone who has ever loved and handloaded 10mm since before the the turn of the century knows the fantastic pain and suffering of losing 10 brass.

hahahaha! BTDT. Love my G20, over 25yrs. Use the heavier recoil spring for full power handloads so I don't have to chase that brass into the next county.

bamaranger
January 4, 2018, 10:23 AM
I can't say that I would endorse shooting .40 S&W in the 10mm barrel. As noted, the headspace issue with the shorter case is just not "right". Why stress a gun part? And why disregard the many warnings over the years about using ammunition only intended for the particular firearm?

I'd go with the .40 Lone Wolf barrel. Keep in mind that the LW will allow one to shoot lead bullets, which are cheaper than a jackedted slug. I'd speculate that one could get ahead of the initial cost of the barrel in less than 1000 rounds. Plus, brass is way more plentiful, to the point I'd state that .40 brass (and 9mm) is just about free if one spends just a little time picking the stuff up at local ranges. I have NEVER bought any .40 or 9mm brass and have gobs of the stuff.

You hear the 10mm bashers always refering to weak 10mm ammo and the .40 is near equal in a lot of loads. There is truth to that, some 10mm is soft, but there is another side of that arguement. Some .40 ammo is darn soft too. I've chronographed boxes of .40/180 FMJ that did not break 900 fps from my Browning HP.

Regards the ".40 in a 10mm" is the same as ".38 in a .357" comment. No it is not. The two case types, rimmed and rimmed less, headspace completely different. The revolver case headspaces on the rim, limiting how deep into the cylinder chamber the case can travel. The auto pistol headspaces on that tiny case mouth. The shorter .40 case (in a 10mm chamber) is limited only by the extractor hook. Not only can one stress the hook , but stacking tolerances might lead to failures to fire as well.

Hammerhead
January 5, 2018, 06:16 PM
Because the Glock 20 is a better gun than any of the .40 Glocks.
I had a G-20 and a G-35, both gen 3, and the 20 was more accurate with the stock 10mm barrel or the KKM .40 barrel.
Factory .40 ammo worked perfectly in the converted G-20, it would even lock the slide back with a 20 pound recoil spring.
For the handloader the conversion was bliss. .40 brass was everywhere and it also gave me the option of using small primers in .40 brass or large ones in 10mm brass. Plated bullets were also more accurate in the KKM .40 barrel than they were in either stock barrels.

batmann
January 5, 2018, 06:29 PM
The only conversion that I personally know of that works if converting a Glock 22 to a Glock 17 with a barrel and mag change because they use the same frame.I do have option for my Glock. I have Lone Wolf match barrels in both calibers with mags for each caliber.
Back to original post, the 10 mm frames are larger for the more powerful round.
If you bought a Glock in 10mm, I’m not sure if I would change it for a .40 S&W conversion. I see where guys have done that, but shooting.40 through a 10mm chamber sounds risky to me. The cost of the Lone Wolf barrel and mags sounds expensive.
Ammo for a 10mm is not a whole lot more plus the money you save on converting will buy a lot of 100 mm ammo.

disseminator
January 6, 2018, 12:01 AM
The only conversion that I personally know of that works if converting a Glock 22 to a Glock 17 with a barrel and mag change because they use the same frame.I do have option for my Glock. I have Lone Wolf match barrels in both calibers with mags for each caliber.
Back to original post, the 10 mm frames are larger for the more powerful round.
If you bought a Glock in 10mm, I’m not sure if I would change it for a .40 S&W conversion. I see where guys have done that, but shooting.40 through a 10mm chamber sounds risky to me. The cost of the Lone Wolf barrel and mags sounds expensive.
Ammo for a 10mm is not a whole lot more plus the money you save on converting will buy a lot of 100 mm am

You can use the same magazines. You only need a 40 barrel and it's on.

Hammerhead
January 6, 2018, 03:23 PM
Yup, just the barrel is all you need.