PDA

View Full Version : RM380

Targa
December 1, 2017, 07:24 PM
Just picked up my Rem RM380. Will not chamber 95 grn Fiocchi FMJ's. I will try some Federal offerings and see if I have better luck. Anybody else experience similiar issues?

franco45
December 2, 2017, 09:02 PM
Mine has eaten anything I've fed it including Fiochi. This is my second one. My nephew now owns the first one that I had. That one was 100% with all ammo also.

Targa
December 2, 2017, 11:13 PM
Thank you for the response. I picked up a box of American Eagle, they chambered smoothly and fed easily.

Ibmikey
December 3, 2017, 01:21 AM
My RM 380 has gobbled anything I stuffed into it, mostly white box Winchester and Freedom FMJ’s.

Armybrat
December 3, 2017, 04:08 PM
Haven't shot mine yet, but will post a pic anyway...

http://images.yuku.com/image/jpeg/6fa352514083ddbc16a4b26d0026df4661e7585.JPG

Sgt127
December 3, 2017, 05:43 PM
Bought one soon after they came out. Just bought a second one. I think it’s about as good as it gets for a pocket .380. And, I have quite a few .380’s and have owned others.

Mines never bobbled. I’m guessing that particular ammo is out of spec. Or, it was never crimped.

Targa
December 3, 2017, 06:55 PM
That's my guess. I am hoping that it is reliable with other offerings, I really like this firearm.

TunnelRat
December 3, 2017, 07:10 PM
I’m guessing that particular ammo is out of spec. Or, it was never crimped.

As someone that's shot thousands of rounds of Fiocchi that'd be a first.

Might be worth comparing the cartridges to see if that's the issue.

Targa
December 3, 2017, 07:39 PM
Just by eye balling without a gauge I can't see any discernible difference between the Fiocchi that doesn't chamber and the American Eagle that chambers without issue..... I can't figure it out.

glockman55
December 7, 2017, 10:45 AM
After you shoot a few hundred rounds of American Eagle through it try the Fiocchi again.. Nice little carry gun.. I have the sig p232 and 238, might have to give the RM380 a look too.. Good Luck

Targa
December 7, 2017, 05:35 PM
Yeh, hopefully that will help. Fiocchi is the primary round that I feed all of my handguns, followed by Sellier & Bellot, Magtech and PPU all do to a reasonable bang for the buck...:D.

Targa
December 8, 2017, 03:28 PM
Just got back from the range, putting aside the Fiocchi issues the gun performed flawlessly with both Rem and Federal rounds. I have heard numerous bad things about the trigger but I found it to be exactly what a pocket carry firearm should be. The trigger pull is long, maybe a little heavy with no felt reset but it is smooth reminding me of my Kahr CM9.
Anyway, my thoughts on it and I am pretty happy with the $170 I dropped on it.

bedbugbilly
December 8, 2017, 10:44 PM
Take a Fiocchi round, use a black marker and coat it over the bullet and back a ways from the crimp line - chamber and see if it shows any rub as far as the chamber goes. Better yet, move the barrel and try a "plunk' test of the round in the chamber that will show if the base is sitting at the end of the barrel or protruding slightly.

If yu have a round (brand) that chambers and shoots, then compare the overall length of it using dial calipers and then check the crimp OD. If the Fiocchi falls within SAAMI specs, it should chamber.

briandg
December 9, 2017, 10:30 AM
in such a tiny little thing even a small deviation of chamber size and throat could cause the things to catch on the rifling when feeding, and seriously, how strong are the return springs? it isn't going to hammer that thing in hard enough to overcome a little friction.

Targa
January 30, 2018, 08:33 PM
After you shoot a few hundred rounds of American Eagle through it try the Fiocchi again.. Nice little carry gun.. I have the sig p232 and 238, might have to give the RM380 a look too.. Good Luck

Just an update Glockman. I did just this ^^^and it is feeding the Fiocchi's now. Thank you, have a good one.

kymasabe
January 30, 2018, 11:23 PM
I had two of them, ran over a thousand rounds thru the first one without any failures, tried a variety of ammo's, gun ran flawlessly. Sold it, regretted it, bought another. Gun #2 got all the goodies from Galloway Precision which made the trigger much better. Very nice guns, highly under rated.
Gun #2 is gone now, I wish I hadn't missed the rebate Remington was just offering or I would have bought another.

Carl the Floor Walker
January 31, 2018, 10:06 AM
I shoot a lot of Fiocchi both in 9mm and 380. If your 380 will not Shoot Fiocchi, I have to ask you what Fiocchi are you shooting? I did some observation and measurements, when my Kahr would not shoot it. Well, normally I shoot Extrema which shoots fine in all my 380's. However I shot their "Linea" range ammo and it would not feed. Why? Because the OAL was longer than the Extrema. I do not purchase the cheaper Linea. Your gun may and should shoot fine with the highly praised "Extrema".

BIGR
January 31, 2018, 10:40 AM
Not a bad looking little pistol, how is the accuracy guys?

Also I think I read where the slide is stainless steel and is coated in a black finish?

Stainless steel slide would be a plus for me.

GarandTd
January 31, 2018, 03:30 PM
The slide and barrel are both stainless. I am quite pleased with the accuracy of mine. I get 3" groups @ 7 or 8 yards. I had a way low flyer on the 1st bullseye. Believe it or not, that's 3 rounds through the same hole next to the x of the 2nd bullseye. Each bullseye was a 6 round mag of Tula.