PDA

View Full Version : ". . . in battery . . ."

Prof Young
November 19, 2017, 10:57 PM
As I ran across the phrase " . . . in battery . . ." via a magazine article it occurred to me that I don't really know what that means. It has something to do with where the bullet is in the gun . . . right?

Help!

Life is good.
Prof Young

JohnKSa
November 19, 2017, 11:26 PM
"In battery" basically means that the action of the gun is fully closed.

In a semi-auto pistol that means that the slide or bolt is fully forward.

In a gun with some kind of locking mechanism holding the breech closed, it means that the locking mechanism is fully engaged.

The term might also include the connotation of a chambered round and a cocked action, but that isn't always a given.

Salmoneye
November 20, 2017, 08:16 AM
IMNSHO

I have always understood "In Battery" to mean 'action closed on a live round'...

kmw1954
November 20, 2017, 02:58 PM
"In Battery" = Ready to Fire.

JohnKSa
November 21, 2017, 12:30 AM
The more I think about this, the more I lean toward the opinion that "in battery" and "out of battery", at least in the context of small arms, are imprecise terms that are used because, in spite of their imprecision, they generally convey sufficient meaning and because they are concise.

Trying to equate "ready to fire" and "in battery" is problematic for a couple of reasons. First of all, it is possible for guns to fire out of battery. I suppose one could make the point that even if a gun fires out of battery it's not really "ready to fire" and there's merit to that point of view.

Secondly, a gun can be "in battery" and not be ready to fire. True double-action firearms aren't ready to fire even with a round chambered until the trigger is pulled nearly to the rear. But most would agree that the gun is "in battery" if the action is closed, even if the gun still needs some other action to make it "ready to fire".

Theoretically, it should be possible in at least some cases, to check to see if a gun is going into battery without involving live rounds--perhaps even without using dummy ammunition. That wouldn't really make sense if the concept demanded that a live round be chambered.

However, I believe that the term originated from artillery and in that context it definitely is equivalent to "ready to fire" and therefore also indicates that a live round is chambered.

An interesting question that should have a really simple answer but doesn't seem to...

kmw1954
November 21, 2017, 01:48 AM
Can't say that I'd ever heard the term used in connection to a revolver. I too believe the origin is an artillery expression. Not sure I understand how an unloaded weapon can ever be "In Battery" as it is not "ready to fire"..

Also in my mind a SA Revolver would need to be cocked to be In Battery. But that's just my interpretation of the expression.

44 AMP
November 21, 2017, 02:17 AM
However, I believe that the term originated from artillery and in that context it definitely is equivalent to "ready to fire" and therefore also indicates that a live round is chambered.

The term definitely originated with artillery, and like some other artillery terms, changes slightly when applied to small arms.

watch the guys shoot cannon. The gun fires and recoils back several feet (to several yards, depending) is then reloaded, and pushed back "into battery" meaning, the original firing position, and ready to fire again.

You could push the gun back into battery position, then load it, but considering the nature of the positions that usually meant your gun crew was more exposed to enemy fire, and so most of the time, the gun would be reloaded THEN returned "to battery", so over time, it became the accepted usage that "in battery" meant gun both in position and loaded to fire.

later, when artillery developed recoil mechanisms, "in battery" meant that the gun had finished recoiling, and had returned to its firing position on the gun carriage.

When the term is used for small arms, it means that the gun breech is shut (and locked if the design allows for that). It does not mean the gun is loaded or ready to fire, but that the breech mechanism is completely shut. Further action may be required to cock the gun in order to fire it (like revolvers) but the gun is mechanically "in battery" when the action is fully and correctly shut.

"In battery" means the breech mechanism is in the proper configuration for firing. It does not mean the gun is loaded ready to fire, all it refers to is the breech mechanism's physical position (shut and locked or not)

Some folks expand the term to mean loaded and ready to fire, but that's not the proper usage.

Another interesting difference in artillery terms is the difference in the use of the word "caliber". In small arms usage, the term "caliber" only refers to the size of the bore. In artillery usage, caliber not only refers to the size of the bore, but ALSO to the length of the barrel, in units of bore diameter.

Those big guns on Missouri class battleships are 16" 50 caliber Naval Rifles. Meaning the bore is 16" and the barrel is 50 caliber meaning 50x16" for a barrel length of 66 feet (rounded off)

Same word, different meaning, in context.

kmw1954
November 21, 2017, 02:42 AM
There is the lesson for the day. Thank you, and that is a serious Thank You.

mehavey
November 21, 2017, 07:37 AM
When the term is used for small arms, it means that
the gun breech is shut (and locked if/as designed).^^^^^ THIS ^^^^^

(...and now moving on to news from other fronts....)
https://imgur.com/gallery/e5XP9Gd

Gbro
November 21, 2017, 07:26 PM
Battery is another spelling for "Batterie",,, Also called frizzen, an upright metal striking plate on the Snaphaunce or Flintlock upon witch the pyrites or flint falls, striking sparks to ignite the priming powder. In the Snaphaunce it was not part of the pan(cover); in the flintlock it was combined with the pan cover causing it to rise as the Batterie was struck.
Battery 2. Two or more artillery pieces used in combination. 3. The name of an Artillery Unit. 4. An artillery piece in firing position is said to be in "Battery."
(there is nothing in this encyclopedia using the term "Battery" in any modern small arm).

44 AMP
November 21, 2017, 10:54 PM
(there is nothing in this encyclopedia using the term "Battery" in any modern small arm).

which tells me the author needs to update his definitions. :D