PDA

View Full Version : Should I just get a Glock 19???

OhioGuy
November 2, 2017, 07:47 AM
For the last year, my primary gun has been an XD Subcompact. Nice gun, really. I've learned well with it.

But I shoot other guns better. I'm not sure what it is. Even going up to a full size...and even the 5" "Tactical" model, I shoot other guns better. I was going to get the long slide for competition. But I got a Walther Q5 instead, and freaking love it.

However, it lacks the ability to prevent (loosely speaking) the trigger from being pulled when holstering. The XD lets me stay off the grip safety. The Walther has that beautiful, wonderful trigger, but there's absolutely no margin there. Yes, I know it's a training issue, and I know all about booger hooks and bang switches. But I'm not a robot, and at some point that extra margin just might come in useful. So after really considering getting a PPQ for my main gun (and carry...but really, it's a tad large for me to carry), I ditched the idea of using a PPQ as my carry gun.

I really like the M2.0, but it shares a "cocked and unlocked" design. I tried the one with manual safeties, and I just really, really dislike them. So I started to think about hammers. I actually kinda like DA/SA, though I've never seriously trained with one. I looked at a few. I really liked the P07 from CZ. But after comparing to a G19, it was apparent that it's kind of chunky with the extra bits hanging off the slide, and the beavertail pokes me in the gut when I try it AIWB. Plus there are precious few aftermarket items for it, even sights! Really liked the Beretta PX4 Compact, but the placement of the decocker levers just pisses me off.

I'm beginning to see the benefits of that ugly, boxy, 110% utilitarian Glock design. Nothing to snag, no unnecessary bulk, lightweight, low bore, billions of aftermarket everything.

And then, yesterday, I discovered "The Gadget" on a bunch of forums and videos, that apparently replaces the plate on the back of a Glock slide and allows you to "ride the striker" similar to a hammer, using thumb pressure to detect resistance against the trigger, and prevent the trigger from being pulled. I have a Walther PPS with an exposed striker indicator, and I can ride that with my thumb. I always did think that was a simple and brilliant feature. Apparently, for about $80 I can do the same with a Glock....which scratches that one big itch I really still have.

And the G19 is so light. And so ugly :D ...but so practical...

I have this feeling that, after a long process of searching for guns that "are the same size as a Glock 19," I'm going to end up with...a Glock 19???

Oh, and I can shoot with them pretty well. I can't say I really noticed the "awkward grip angle" some complain a lot about. I think I got over that after the 5th round.

I guess in short, I can say I "like" almost every gun I've tried better (in some way) than the Glock, but when I roll them all into one package that's 100% about training, carrying and self-defense with no time to worry about what I like better on a range, the Glock seems to beat them all simply by being mundane and absolutely reliable. They all do "that one thing" better, but the Glock does them all "well enough" and at the same time.

Maybe that's why nobody can ever beat Glock?

Am I already as good as beaten? I'll bet others have been down this path...

OhioGuy
November 2, 2017, 07:51 AM
Does anyone have experience with "The Gadget?" It seems to have consistently positive reviews.

Does such a thing exist for any other prominent striker guns? Since many of the others have fully cocked strikers, I'm guessing the principle of operation (preventing the striker from moving rearward when the trigger is pulled) wouldn't apply anyway.

MandolinMan
November 2, 2017, 08:24 AM
I gather that your concern is experiencing a negligent discharge while reholstering. I think there a simpler solution that a "gadget".

Visually verify that the holster is clear of clothing or obstructions before inserting the pistol. Its that simple.

BILLG
November 2, 2017, 08:27 AM
Get the M&P 2.0 compact.

Spats McGee
November 2, 2017, 08:29 AM
I have no experience with The Gadget. If I've said it once, I'm sure I've said it a hundred times: there are plenty of pistols that do something or another better than a G19, but there ain't many (if any) that do the jack-of-all-trades role better. Perhaps you'll feel a little better after reading A Grudging Review of the Glock 19 (https://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=535907).

DubC-Hicks
November 2, 2017, 08:58 AM
While the G19 is by no means my favorite pistol, it is what I carry every day. It's size, weight, capacity, simplicity, general shootability, huge aftermarket, it's just awesome for me. Add to the fact that my 34, 17, and 26 all have the same manual of arms, can fit in the same holsters (besides the 34), and can all use the same larger mags, it just makes sense. For me at least.

Also, Glocks have no soul so I don't care as much if I sweat on them or scuff them up

Psychedelic Bang
November 2, 2017, 09:09 AM
What's killing me right now is I always preferred Gen 2 Glocks without the finger grooves. So I was actually able to talk myself out of purchasing Gen 3 and Gen 4 very easily.

Gen 5 darn it!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am very annoyed. Hopefully I can avoid getting a Glock!!

divil
November 2, 2017, 09:20 AM
I've wondering about exactly the same thing lately. I started out looking for a double action G19 sized gun. But the more I compared other guns to it, the more I liked the G19, for the same reasons you mentioned. Virtually everything is either bulkier or has less capacity, or in some cases, both. Or, they have some dangerous "safety" feature that could cause the gun to not work unexpectedly when you need it to.

I came to the conclusion that the CZ-P07 is the G19 of the double action world. But there's no doubt it's a little bulkier. I still plan to snap up the first good deal I see on one though. I just cannot bring myself to carry striker fired pistol in the appendix position.

Deaf Smith
November 2, 2017, 09:30 AM
Get the new Gen 5 Glock (cause you don't have a gen 3 or 4.) I can say the Glocks work and work excellently from many years of experience.

Deaf

sigarms228
November 2, 2017, 10:16 AM
It is hard to argue against the Glock 19 if it works well for a shooter and IMO the Glock 19 Gen 5 has closed the gap on some complaints compared to the competition. Reports are that it is a very accurate pistol as Glock had promised. I actually liked the trigger on the Glock Gen 5 as I found it pretty decent and in no way was it affecting my accuracy shooting the pistol. I found the grip on the Gen 5 Glock 19 to be comfortable and in no way 2x4 like.

I often CCW my Gen 2 Glock 19 that I bought new in the early 90s and it has never given me an issue.

The Gadget, by all accounts I have read, is a quality and highly tested device. IMO if the owner of a Glock 19 wants that extra level of safety it provides by disabling the striker from moving while activated then go for it.

OhioGuy
November 2, 2017, 10:44 AM
Get the new Gen 5 Glock (cause you don't have a gen 3 or 4.) I can say the Glocks work and work excellently from many years of experience.

Deaf
I liked the Gen 5. I haven't shot the 4 since two years ago but I actually like the finger groove feel. It seems to fit my hands nicely. I can't imagine the "target barrel" makes much of a difference in actual defensive training or application? I have a gun for target shooting already :)

I'd just get the latest model, but I see 4s for quite a bit less and the design has been around for a long time and is pretty well proven.

OhioGuy
November 2, 2017, 10:49 AM
I came to the conclusion that the CZ-P07 is the G19 of the double action world. But there's no doubt it's a little bulkier. I still plan to snap up the first good deal I see on one though. I just cannot bring myself to carry striker fired pistol in the appendix position.

I've seen videos where someone whacks a striker gun with a mallet and eventually causes the striker to release. I saw a PPQ video to that effect and some other model too. But in each case the released striker hit the striker block safety and never hit a primer. Those videos actually made me feel better about it, because they show that the designs function as they should. And I don't intend to whack my gun with a hammer while I'm carrying it :)

My big concern is that 1 in a million time when I get distracted holstering it, and there's nothing but a short 5 lb trigger between me and an extra hole somewhere. That's why The Gadget got me thinking that a Glock 19 AIWB can work for me. I'd honestly rather have the M2.0 Compact, but I really don't like that thumb safety at all. Way too easy to hit unintentionally

brian33x51
November 2, 2017, 11:42 AM
My big concern is that 1 in a million time when I get distracted holstering it, and there's nothing but a short 5 lb trigger between me and an extra hole somewhere. That's why The Gadget got me thinking that a Glock 19 AIWB can work for me. I'd honestly rather have the M2.0 Compact, but I really don't like that thumb safety at all. Way too easy to hit unintentionally

This scares me more than anything. However as long as you treat the holster as an integral part of the security system and use a kydex clip holster that you can easily put on and take off with the pistol in it, that should mitigate any problems you might have.

I had a good scare while reholstering in my car when I used to carry my block with a fixed belt loop IWB holster at about 4:30. My inside tshirt took too much of a liking to the trigger. Nowadays when I do carry it, I carry at 2:30. And its not my primary carry anymore.

OhioGuy
November 2, 2017, 12:26 PM
I answered my own question today. Rented two guns.

No, I should not get a Glock 19.

I should get a CZ P07 and look extra hard for accessories. That gun is beautiful. I was keeping 3" easily at 50' where the target was obscured by the front sight. I couldn't touch that with the Glock. Clearly, FOR ME, this is the right gun!

stephen426
November 2, 2017, 12:33 PM
Get what works for you. I know it is an overly simple answer, but it is also the one that makes the most sense. I tried to like the XDs in .45 ACP, but I ended up hating it. I don't like the trigger so I got the Powder River Precision kit for it. It helped a little, but I still ended up selling it. I carried a Glock 26 for about 7 years, then switched to a Kahr PM9 for about 3 years. I switched to a Glock 43 last year. I carry the 43 with the Techna Clip. I had the Safe-T block, but it kept popping out. I clip the gun onto my waistband, and then button my pants. Much less chance of accidental discharges that way. There is nothing slimmer than carrying it this way.

sigarms228
November 2, 2017, 12:35 PM
This scares me more than anything. However as long as you treat the holster as an integral part of the security system and use a kydex clip holster that you can easily put on and take off with the pistol in it, that should mitigate any problems you might have.

I agree about the holster. This is what I CCW my Glock 19 in, an Ozark single clip kydex holster. I put the holster on and off my belt with the Glock 19 in it and put it in the pistol safe under my bed the same way.

https://i.imgur.com/16puVx6.jpg?1

TailGator
November 2, 2017, 02:14 PM
I don't intend to whack my gun with a hammer while I'm carrying it

That's advice that didn't need to be offered before YouTube.:D

vba
November 2, 2017, 02:31 PM
Just get the Glock 19. I've used them since the early 90's and they are still the one everyone is chasing. All the polymer followers since have tried to emulate the Glock but Glock is still just as technologically advanced as other manufacturers that use bullet, powder, case and primer.

In all those years I've always kept my finger away from the trigger when holstering...no problems holstering.:confused:

For me it's 1911's and Glocks, no problems switching between them.

stephen426
November 2, 2017, 02:52 PM
Just get the Glock 19. I've used them since the early 90's and they are still the one everyone is chasing. All the polymer followers since have tried to emulate the Glock but Glock is still just as technologically advanced as other manufacturers that use bullet, powder, case and primer.

I got my sister the Walther PPQ and the trigger is better than Glock's. I do carry a Glock 43 though. Competition spurs innovation and constant improvement.

Uncle Malice
November 2, 2017, 03:09 PM
I've moved on from the G19 to the M&P 2.0 Compact as my primary CCW... however the Glock 19 I have isn't going anywhere and I may still get a Gen5, too... The Glock is admittedly a great gun. There are some things I need to change on them to make it fit my hands(trigger guard undercut being the most important)... but after that, I like them a lot.

I still carry the G26 quite a lot. I love that thing and no one has been able to make a comparable gun. I have the G43 for occasional carry, I really wanted to like the VP9SK, but it's significantly larger than the G26 for the same capacity... the old M&P Compact is a strong contender in this area, but still larger and heavier than the G26, though you do get 2 more rounds. If they re-release that size in the 2.0 platform, I'll be looking at it very closely. The XD sub-compact(and all XD's) is a joke, to me. It's fat and blocky and they have some of the worst track records for performance in training classes among what is supposed to be the main duty/carry type pistols(Glock, S&W, Springfield, CZ, Walther, Sig, HK).

So... yes. You should get a Glock 19. I think that's one of those guns that EVERYONE should have. It may not be your favorite overall, but it does so many things right, that it's a great platform to use for comparison with other guns.

Onward Allusion
November 2, 2017, 04:37 PM
Should I just get a $&!@ Glock 19???

Probably not the place you want to be if you were expecting a NO... Everyone should have a few Glocks, IMO. :D

Nathan
November 2, 2017, 04:55 PM
They have these things called thumb safeties.....get one. Glocks are fine guns, but if something is out of whack, sooner or later the trigger will be pulled. Could be you, could be a tree limb!

jr24
November 2, 2017, 05:27 PM
Glad you liked shooting the P07 better. Go with what ya shoot best.

Do note, that when my P07 was new it did NOT like 115 grain range ammo for the first 500 or so rounds, I had to break the springs in with some WWB NATO 124 gr. After it loosened up a bit it ran everything with boring reliability.

As for the whole holstering thing, especially AIWB, just holster, then clip on your belt. Leave it alone all day and boom, no ND worries. I think folks holster and unholster way too often (theoretically) on the internet. I only ever holster once, and unholster once a day for nearly all my days. If I need to go to a place and disarm, I use a single clip holster that day and just un clip the whole holster, no danger no fuss no muss.

5whiskey
November 2, 2017, 08:20 PM
I should get a CZ P07 and look extra hard for accessories. That gun is beautiful. I was keeping 3" easily at 50' where the target was obscured by the front sight. I couldn't touch that with the Glock. Clearly, FOR ME, this is the right gun!

I actually wouldn't worry about lack of accessories. Cajun gun works has tons, plus there are some other companies out there as well. CGW has reasonable prices as well. Holsters are a breeze also. If you're ok with leather, most holsters that fit a Springfield XD or SIG p226 will work well enough. They will work perfect if you soak and reshape them.

All that being said, a Glock 19 is a fine utilitarian service piece. I wouldn't feel outgunned if I carried one. But carry what feels best for you. I carry a P07 on duty these days. Thing shoots like a dream.

WVsig
November 2, 2017, 08:38 PM
They have these things called thumb safeties.....get one. Glocks are fine guns, but if something is out of whack, sooner or later the trigger will be pulled. Could be you, could be a tree limb!

That is so not true. The Glock platform is as safe any any other. It will outlast you and I if you do not bubba it. 99% of ND with Glocks are user error not a problem with the platform.

OhioGuy
November 2, 2017, 10:07 PM
Glad you liked shooting the P07 better. Go with what ya shoot best.

Do note, that when my P07 was new it did NOT like 115 grain range ammo for the first 500 or so rounds, I had to break the springs in with some WWB NATO 124 gr. After it loosened up a bit it ran everything with boring reliability.

As for the whole holstering thing, especially AIWB, just holster, then clip on your belt. Leave it alone all day and boom, no ND worries. I think folks holster and unholster way too often (theoretically) on the internet. I only ever holster once, and unholster once a day for nearly all my days. If I need to go to a place and disarm, I use a single clip holster that day and just un clip the whole holster, no danger no fuss no muss.
Yes, I generally never holster the weapon... except in classes or training where it's constantly repeated.

Deaf Smith
November 2, 2017, 10:10 PM
Good setup sigarms228.

Deaf

JDBerg
November 3, 2017, 08:04 AM
Whatever you practice with you can make work for you. My Gen3 G19 works great for me alongside my CZ P-01, my Walther PPS-M2 and my HK P30 9mm and my HK P2000 9mm. I’d like to add a new Gen5 G19 with the AmeriGlo Bold night sights, but if I come across a nice Sig P239 SAS Gen2 9mm, which isn’t easy to come across, the new Glock will have to wait!

vba
November 3, 2017, 08:58 AM
I got my sister the Walther PPQ and the trigger is better than Glock's. I do carry a Glock 43 though. Competition spurs innovation and constant improvement.

The reason the PPQ and others like it have an easier trigger pull is that they are fully cocked when the slide is pulled back. Therefore, cocked and NOT locked. With handguns like this I prefer to have a safety. With Glocks the trigger is at half-cock and pulling the trigger completes the cocking sequence.

stephen426
November 3, 2017, 09:09 AM
The reason the PPQ and others like it have an easier trigger pull is that they are fully cocked when the slide is pulled back. Therefore, cocked and NOT locked. With handguns like this I prefer to have a safety. With Glocks the trigger is at half-cock and pulling the trigger completes the cocking sequence.

Glocks have a 5.5 lb. trigger on average. There have been plenty of accidental/negligent discharges with them. Does half cock really make a difference when talking about striker fired pistols? Walther's site puts their trigger pull at 5.6 lbs. If you snag the trigger on either, it is going to go off. I don't think you are going to find any real world difference in accidental discharges between the two guns.

Sequins
November 3, 2017, 10:08 AM
I too have holster / unholster concerns with a glock, but I holster my Glock prior to attaching that holster to my belt and that eliminates the concerns.

vba
November 3, 2017, 10:40 AM
Glocks have a 5.5 lb. trigger on average. There have been plenty of accidental/negligent discharges with them. Does half cock really make a difference when talking about striker fired pistols? Walther's site puts their trigger pull at 5.6 lbs. If you snag the trigger on either, it is going to go off. I don't think you are going to find any real world difference in accidental discharges between the two guns.

Been carrying Glocks for some 25 years and have never had a problem "snagging" the trigger. Use a proper holster and get some safe handgun training if this is a problem.

The Glock trigger has a trigger with a distinct takeup vs. S&W M&P and Walther. I know because I've shot these guns. This is especially so with my Ruger LC9s and the reason I purchased this gun with a safety. The M&P and Walther is gone. Yes I know one can get an M&P with a safety.

sigarms228
November 3, 2017, 11:01 AM
Good setup sigarms228.

Deaf
Thanks! :)

sigarms228
November 3, 2017, 11:04 AM
I agree. PPQ also has firing pin block safety, trigger safety, and a good deal of take up in the trigger. It is nothing like cocked and unlocked but a person should go with what they are comfortable with.

stephen426
November 3, 2017, 11:37 AM
Been carrying Glocks for some 25 years and have never had a problem "snagging" the trigger. Use a proper holster and get some safe handgun training if this is a problem.

The Glock trigger has a trigger with a distinct takeup vs. S&W M&P and Walther. I know because I've shot these guns. This is especially so with my Ruger LC9s and the reason I purchased this gun with a safety. The M&P and Walther is gone. Yes I know one can get an M&P with a safety.

The point I was making is that the trigger pull weight is very similar between the Glock and the Walther PPQ. You say you prefer having a safety due to the Walther being fully cocked. It has 2 drop safeties and a trigger safety. You are absolutely entitled to your opinion, but I fail to see any real difference "safety-wise" between the half-cock of Glock's trigger and Walther's fully cocked trigger other than a better trigger feel for Walther.

vba
November 3, 2017, 12:22 PM
stephen426;

A series 80 1911 has three safeties as well (not including the thumb safety), half-cock, firing pin and grip safety. I've got a series 80 Colt with roughly the same pull weight as my Glock and would never carry it without the safety engaged.

But as you say everyone is entitled to their opinion and I acquiesce to yours.

stephen426
November 3, 2017, 12:28 PM
vba,

Not trying to beat a dead horse, but the typical 1911 has a much shorter trigger pull than the PPQ. I tried to like the Springfield Armory XDs since it added a grip safety, but I hated the trigger. The Powder River Precision make it less reliable and I ended up getting rid of it. The main point is I don't see a real difference in likelihood of accidental/negligent discharge between the Glock and Walther since it requires the trigger to be pulled all the way (to disengage the firing pin safety). Like I said, carry what you are comfortable with. :)

vba
November 3, 2017, 12:55 PM
Stephen;

Roger That and have a great Thanksgiving.

stephen426
November 3, 2017, 01:55 PM
Thanks vba! You too!

All TFL debates should be this civil! :D

OhioGuy
November 3, 2017, 05:39 PM
I too have holster / unholster concerns with a glock, but I holster my Glock prior to attaching that holster to my belt and that eliminates the concerns.
Do you do this each time you reholster during a training class? That could be dozens of times

Kevster
November 3, 2017, 06:00 PM
Everybody is different. People have different hand sizes, different vision, different defensive needs, different skill levels, etc. So for everybody there is a specific gun than works individually for them. And that gun is a Glock 19.

Bachá
November 3, 2017, 06:04 PM
I am new to guns and afraid of striker fired guns in general :-D plus, I just really like hammer fired guns more. But it is really, really hard to beat glock in the utilitarian department.

I have studied the glock design a lot... it’s genius, an more genius that they got it right since gen one. Mechanically it is impossible to have a ND in a functioning glock... having said that, the trigger being light makes it less forgiving for human error, that is a fact.

TunnelRat
November 3, 2017, 06:36 PM
I've holstered and unholstered my Glocks hundreds of times now. Still no NDs as a result. In 18 classes with the majority of the people using striker fired pistols I still haven't seen an ND while holstering or unholstering. Do they happen? Yes. People also have NDs while not holstering or unholstering at all. Muzzle management and trigger finger discipline apply regardless of the weight of the trigger pull. Clearing the cover garment is also very important. I can't think of any foolproof system as no system removes the greatest source of error when it comes to firearms: the users. I'm not convinced at this point that Glocks etc. pose a notably greater risk while holstering than a DA/SA pistol or similar.

marine6680
November 3, 2017, 07:46 PM
I was eyeing the new g19 gen 5... Untill I got one in my hands...

Nope.

The cutout up front sits right under my pinky in an uncomfortable manner.

Inserting the magazine, I experienced a snag due to the cutout.

I really liked the lack of finger grooves. The g17 felt pretty good.

TunnelRat
November 3, 2017, 07:51 PM
The cutout doesn't bother me nor have I found it to cause snags on insertion, but I definitely can see how it's possible. One thing I have found that helps is to try to have the rear of the magazine contact the rear of the magazine well first. It doesn't have to be much of an angle but it helps keep from snagging up front. Frankly if they didn't flare the magwell they wouldn't have needed the cutout. I've yet to find the flare useful so I wish they'd left that out.

WVsig
November 3, 2017, 08:17 PM
I've holstered and unholstered my Glocks hundreds of times now. Still no NDs as a result. In 18 classes with the majority of the people using striker fired pistols I still haven't seen an ND while holstering or unholstering. Do they happen? Yes. People also have NDs while not holstering or unholstering at all. Muzzle management and trigger finger discipline apply regardless of the weight of the trigger pull. Clearing the cover garment is also very important. I can't think of any foolproof system as no system removes the greatest source of error when it comes to firearms: the users. I'm not convinced at this point that Glocks etc. pose a notably greater risk while holstering than a DA/SA pistol or similar.
While I agree with the thrust of your argument a DA/SA gun with a 10lb+ DA trigger pull when decocked is much less likely to result in a ND while holstering than a Glock type trigger. The additional weight needed to manipulate the DA hammer makes a huge difference.

That said I have always believed that Glock gets a bad rap for ND because of the sheer number of Glock pistols in the real world market. When you add the commercial market plus the LEO market there are more Glocks in and out of holsters on any given day than any other make. The raw number of NDs are going to be higher but the statistical difference between Glock and other platforms when you look at it as a % of the number deployed I believe it is no higher than any other gun.

TunnelRat
November 3, 2017, 08:21 PM
I agree there's a difference but as I said above I don't think the risk is notably higher. That's my own experience and opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WVsig
November 3, 2017, 08:24 PM
I agree there's a difference but as I said above I don't think the risk is notably higher. That's my own experience and opinion.

For me the other big difference is with a DA/SA gun I can put my thumb on the back of the hammer as I look the gun into the holster. If the trigger where to snag on something which causes the hammer to move rearward I will "feel" the movement on my thumb and be able to stop. This is not the case with a stiker fired gun.

This does not mean the striker fired gun is less safe it is just different and does not give you the same level of resistance or tactile feedback as a hammer fired gun does IMHO.

TunnelRat
November 3, 2017, 08:28 PM
If you're looking the gun into the holster how will you not see an obstruction before you feel it? My experience is that most people that have NDs when holstering were hurrying when they shouldn't have been. While I get your point of riding the hammer, the goal is to clear obstructions before you start holstering. I'd add too that people seem to forget it's not just an obstruction that causes an ND when holstering. It's an obstruction that gets passed the trigger guard and actuates on just the trigger itself. I've seen folks get garments caught while holstering and luckily the trigger guard did its job before someone corrected him or her. I can tell you that at the academy the major cause of NDs while holstering is actually people forgetting to get their fingers off the trigger before going to holster.

I'm not overly concerned whether someone does or doesn't think striker fired pistols are less safe. Each shooter has to make the call about what works best for him or her. I'm just sharing my experience. As most here know I carried DA/SA for some time, with the idea of added safety being the main reason why. My views have changed but I still get the premise.

Doc Holliday 1950
November 3, 2017, 10:13 PM
I chose the G19 gen4 for 2 reasons. The first was my wife's baby brother is Special Forces & an Officer. It was his recommendation that I got the Glock.
Second reason was that the G19 is almost impossible to screw up.

To me, a G19 or a Ruger GP 100 are tools for protection & nothing else. I Don't care about beauty. I don't care about beauty. All I care about is that it goes bang and where I want it to go every time. The it goes bang every time is the Pistol or Revolver. Where I want it to go is thru a ton of practice. If one does not practice occasionally with a pro to correct or refine technique, then don't bother carrying.

Glenn E. Meyer
November 4, 2017, 01:10 PM
A Glock user here since the 90's. Never ND'ed on the draw.

Here's a take on the XD grip safety for those who have draw-grip-holster qualms. FYI - take it or leave it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PShoOEUjlGg

The one time I was almost shot in an ND it was from a 1911 that was supposedly on safe with the finger off the trigger.

This another ancient debate of I'm scared of the striker fired pistol with no grip safety (say Glock). Just train up and use a quality holster. Yes, that is a cliche.

marine6680
November 4, 2017, 04:05 PM
Glock makes a good pistol... They work, and tend to be reliable. I am not the biggest fan, but I do respect them for what they are.

But as far as doodads to "make the gun safer"... I'm not a big fan.

I am of the mindset, that if you are the type to not properly check for a clear holster and trigger guard when holstering your pistol... You are not going to properly use the "doodads" properly or consistently either.

That applies to manual safeties, grip safeties, riding hammers, "gadgets"... and basically anything that isn't an automatic passive device that requires no conscious thought to use/work.

I have read of an ND that happened when a person removed their jacket. They got a pull string or other part of the jacket caught in the holster, but it did not go off when they holstered the pistol... It did go off after, when they pulled off the jacket.

Basically... No doodad could have prevented that ND... Only proper procedure when re-holstering their pistol and ensuring it was clear first would have.

Seriously... While you might only have a split second to draw your pistol... You have all the time in the world to re-holster... Take the time to do it properly.

TunnelRat
November 4, 2017, 04:20 PM
^ well said. There is no reward for being the fastest back to the holster. If you're holstering in a defensive situation you're doing so because you've determined the threat is no longer present. While I get wanting to get back to the holster say before law enforcement arrives, discharging errant rounds helps no one.

otasan
November 4, 2017, 06:58 PM
Yes, get the G19. Load it with CorBon 9mm 115gr JHP +p (1350 FPS)

glockman55
November 5, 2017, 03:11 PM
I have three Glocks.. 19, 27, and 30...need maybe one more

OhioGuy
November 5, 2017, 05:12 PM
Ultimately, I chose to get the CZ P07.

Not because I hate Glock. Not because I live in fear of shooting myself from a holster :)

I just plain really love the gun and shoot it really well. That's really all it comes down to, and I'm looking forward to learning the DA trigger system more fully.

jetinteriorguy
November 5, 2017, 08:38 PM
Plus, the P07 has a half cocked position making the DA pull a little easier to master. And you can also Cajunize it for a lighter smoother DA and SA trigger. Personally I love mine just as it came from the factory. I've been shooting DA in revo's for almost 40 years, and the key is a nice smooth non stop pull on the trigger. And yes, this can be done with speed after a lot of practice and still be accurate at SD distances.

jimjc
November 5, 2017, 09:34 PM
OP if you think nobody can beat the glock 19 then just buy it, I've owned 5 of them and I have not come to the same conclusion as you have, I sold them years ago and will not own a glock in the future.

OhioGuy
November 5, 2017, 09:54 PM
OP if you think nobody can beat the glock 19 then just buy it, I've owned 5 of them and I have not come to the same conclusion as you have, I sold them years ago and will not own a glock in the future.
I concluded that the CZ beats it for me, shooting them side by side.

What I meant was nobody can beat them in the sense of significantly chipping away at their business. If nothing else they have the aftermarket cornered.

Case in point: I believe my newly purchased P07 has a total of three night sight options??? :)

Laz
November 5, 2017, 10:21 PM
I was eyeing the new g19 gen 5... Untill I got one in my hands...
I’ve never gotten into Glocks or liked striker pistols. I evolved and looked at many and decided the Gen 4 Glock 19 was a nearly perfect fit for what I wanted and have been very happy with my choice. At the time I was blissfully unaware of the soon-to-arrive Gen 5 19 but having looked at them, I prefer the Gen 4 though the Gen 5 has some nice features. The 19 Finger grooves fit me perfectly and the slightly smaller Gen 4 grip fits perfectly with grip extensions.

otasan
November 7, 2017, 06:19 PM
I CCW a Glock 17 here in VT. Great gun at only 34 ounces fully loaded (17 rounds). 100% reliable.

Spats McGee
November 7, 2017, 06:38 PM
I CCW a Glock 17 here in VT. Great gun at only 34 ounces fully loaded (17 rounds). 100% reliable.
Are you sure about that "100% (https://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=590748)" figure? ;)

OhioGuy
November 7, 2017, 08:27 PM
I shot better with the 4 than the 5. It fit my hand well.

Had I decided to get another striker, my first choice would've been the M2.0 Compact, probably followed by the PPQ 4" (I already have the Q5 Match). Glocks just don't feel as good in my hands as the others. I wasn't crazy about the CZ P10C, but the P07 fit me so well and felt like "I've come home!" I decided it was worth learning the DA trigger :)

No striker I've used really hits the feeling of a true SA trigger, and the P07 has a great one!

michaelc246
November 9, 2017, 10:00 PM
get a G19 or an M&P 2.0 Compact. About the same size, and they would both serve you well.