PDA

View Full Version : Didn't like my SP-01

wild cat mccane
October 23, 2017, 07:28 AM
Hi all,

There is a lot of people hyping the SP-01 online, so I thought I would throw my brief counter dislike for the SP-01. I bought the Tactical.

I admit it was nice, but has some immediate flaws.

1. "night sights" is being generous. They were not bright at all. Looking around, that appears to be noted by actual owners.
2. CZ's small slide grip areas can't be overstated enough. With small hands, even I had an extremely difficult time using the two only areas you can physically rack the slide.
3. Trigger-good gosh does that double action take some strength :) Reset in single action is handily beat by the PPQ.
4. Decocker is actually nice except that puppy goes 2xs longer than you think it will to actually decock.
5. Everywhere talks about the weight. It might weight a lot comparatively, but holding it, it isn't heavy. Meh. I wasn't looking at the ounces, so I still don't know where it sits. I was expecting heavier.

Feature for feature, I admit it is one great choice in a limited field. I didn't hate it, but for me, it didn't live up to the hype. What would? I am not sure anything can match :)

Thanks

sigarms228
October 23, 2017, 08:46 AM
Most everything you mention you do not like about the SP01 could have been determined by simply handling and dry firing at a LGS before purchase.

But how do you like shooting the SP01 and how many rounds have you put through it? To me, that is where the SP01 really shines and where the extra weight and size matters making it a very pleasant pistol to shoot with excellent accuracy and very fast back on target.

otasan
October 23, 2017, 09:01 AM
I had to google SP-01 to see it. CZ makes good pistols.

Fishbed77
October 23, 2017, 10:39 AM
Ultimately, this is a 40-year old design, and what the OP notes as "flaws" are for the most part, unfair or subjective comparisons against more modern designs with lighter polymer frames, constant-action triggers (that double-action trigger is heavy for a reason), and, in many cases, overly-aggressive slide serrations and grips.

The only real "flaw" I can gather from the original post are dim night sights. Everything else are features endemic to this design. Whether you objectively like them are not can easily be determined by a little research and handling.

carguychris
October 23, 2017, 10:50 AM
CZ's small slide grip areas can't be overstated enough. With small hands, even I had an extremely difficult time using the two only areas you can physically rack the slide.
If you're not already doing this...

When retracting the slide, try the "overhand" method (grabbing with the ball of your palm and all fingertips, with your thumb towards you) rather than the "slingshot" method (thumb and forefinger). I find the overhand method easier to use on pistols with limited grasping surfaces. FWIW some shooters have a problem with keeping the muzzle pointed downrange when using the overhand method; to mitigate this, try rotating your upper body towards the pistol as you grasp it.
Cock the hammer first.

Kilrb
October 23, 2017, 01:49 PM
I just got one of these also. As far as the sights I ordered new Dawson's from CGW, put Dawson's on my PPQ as well factory sights didn't work for me. The grips changing to ones that suit me better. Will be sending to CGW for the Pro Package next month. In general I like the feel of the gun better than a lot I looked at and I had a lot of out before I picked this one.

wild cat mccane
October 23, 2017, 04:03 PM
As I stated, I didn't hate it. It just didn't live up to the internet hyping going around.

Oh. Missed one. The SP-01 comes with a cheaper hammer than the P-09-a cheaper gun. The SP-01 Shadow at 2xs the price comes with the hammer of the P-09 (at least the shape). So I know it isn't me just being knit picky here. :)

(Yes, the TS comes with the same hammer shape as the SP-01, but the TS hasn't been updated since 06). The Tactical Orange comes with the newer hammer too.

sigarms228
October 23, 2017, 05:10 PM
Oh. Missed one. The SP-01 comes with a cheaper hammer than the P-09-a cheaper gun. The SP-01 Shadow at 2xs the price comes with the hammer of the P-09 (at least the shape). So I know it isn't me just being knit picky here.

No it's not the same hammer. The P09 has the "Omega" hammer that is only the similar shape at the exposed end. The more expensive Shadows come with the CZ Custom competition hammer and the fitting that goes along with installing it.

SA1911
October 23, 2017, 05:18 PM
Hi wild cat mccane,

Most of us have bought guns that came with buyer's remorse.

Shoot your SP-01. You might grow to love it. If not, you could sell it.

JDBerg
October 23, 2017, 05:42 PM
I have a 75B 9mm and a P-01, both superb firearms regardless of what I paid for them. The SP-01 with the 18 round mags is another one that I should have bought when I lived in PA and could legally transfer it to CO where I live now, which has a 15 round mag limit.

TunnelRat
October 23, 2017, 07:01 PM
Well shucks.

carguychris
October 23, 2017, 07:07 PM

^^^ This.

I used to own a S&W Model 3904 that I bought because it met all the requirements I thought I wanted in a carry gun. However, I never liked shooting it, and I could never shoot it particularly well. I sold it and I'm glad I did.

It happens. Don't stress over it.

jimjc
October 23, 2017, 09:37 PM
Sorry I think you're knit picking, the SP01 is used in competition all over the country. The trigger you don't like can be resolved easily to a wonderful trigger, the rest of the things you don't like are subjective issues.

My guess you thought the SP01 was a "Wilson Combat" that costs under $600. I own a CZ P01, P10c, P07 and all are great guns and the SP01 is a fine gun and it's the next gun I'll buy.

You're talking about guns that more military and police have than any other gun world wide and the most copied gun other than the 1911.

If you want a trigger like the PPQ just buy a PPQ and sell your SP01. Life is short.

I'd do a little more testing on anything you think you want to buy though. You need to decide what you call hype. I've read reams on the CZ's and I don't think there's a bunch of hype at all. My guns live up to everything I've read about them.

wild cat mccane
October 24, 2017, 06:32 AM
It's almost like some haven't read where I said it doesn't suck.

Take that back, the trigger does suck. Overall, the SP-01 is "okay."

Andrewsky
October 24, 2017, 10:16 AM
You're talking about guns that more military and police have than any other gun world wide

The CZ website says it is "used by more governments, militaries, police, and security agencies than any other pistol in the world."

I don't believe it. I bet Glock is more popular.

sigarms228
October 24, 2017, 10:28 AM
The CZ website says it is "used by more governments, militaries, police, and security agencies than any other pistol in the world."

I agree with you. CZ might be used by a larger number of governments/militaries/police/agencies but they are small ones. In sheer numbers of pistols - Glock, probably Beretta, and maybe others far exceed CZ IMO.

BigBL87
October 24, 2017, 11:45 AM

If you count CZ clones, I'd wager it is true they are used by more departments/militaires/etc worldwide. I'd also guess, though, that those are much smaller contracts than the ones Glock has, so sheer number of handguns you're probably right.

Hal
October 24, 2017, 02:48 PM
Hal's pat pending list of questions to ask when thinking of selling or trading anything.

Do you like it? Yes or no?
If the answer is no - then sell or trade it or give it away.
It really makes no sense to tie up money & space on something you don't like ---ok, well,,,relatives maybe,,,that all depends..

If the answer is - yes, go to the next question..
Next - Do you need the money or space or whatever other resource it's taking up?
If the answer to that is no - then go to the next question..
Next - Are you getting rid of the item to cause peace in the family/relationship?

The list goes on and on and one day I might just create a flow chart to cover as many possibilities as I can.

Here though - the title says it all - you don't like it.
Period, end of story/discussion, sell, trade or give it away & use whatever you get out of it for something that will give your little heart the piddy-pats.
Life's too short to hang on the stuff you don't like & that have no sentimental strings.

shootniron
October 24, 2017, 05:00 PM
Sorry you don't like it.

I have bought a number of guns that I ended up not liking.

And, I don't like any CZ handgun...but that is just me...I also have no use for any Sig...except the 238 /938...here again, just me.

jetinteriorguy
October 24, 2017, 07:32 PM
While I love my CZ's, I get what your saying. Sometimes they work for you and sometimes they don't. For me, love the way they feel, and I just happen to shoot them better than any other 9mm, except for my FEG HiPower clone which shoots the same for me.

Fishbed77
October 25, 2017, 11:19 AM

I recall the very first Glock 17 I bought. After the first outing, I was surprised to find that I shot it much more poorly than my Glock 19. There was some definite buyers's remorse.

After a few more outings and a little more familiarity, though, my marksmanship with it improved and that feeling went away.

B.O.F.H.
October 25, 2017, 05:21 PM
I like my SP01 tactical, a lot in fact. I don't shoot any other pistol as accurately at speed as I do my SP01 and I certainly don't shoot it as accurately at speed as the competitors that have it one of the most victorious pistols in competition circles.

Double action and striker fired are different animals. I prefer double action as I found that it made me a better shooter all around by forcing me to focus on the fundamentals.

My night sights glow well enough to find the pistol on my nightstand. I've never shot them for accuracy in the dark as that is an oxymoron. My slide, decocker and trigger all work as advertised. They have each gotten smoother and easier to operate with practice. I find practice to be mandatory in the development of all weapons usage and not germane to any one type of firearm.

In my most recent challenge, I taught myself how to operate revolvers. Initially, I did not know where the cylinder release was or how much pressure to apply. Similarly, I did not know the arc of travel the cylinder made upon release. I did not know how to load without staring at the cylinder. All of these things became second nature after many repetitions. I am still no Annie Oakley, but I am impressed with what I can do now in comparison to where I started. I have found every gun that I have ever learned to be the same in this regard.

TunnelRat
October 25, 2017, 06:00 PM
Double action and striker fired are different animals. I prefer double action as I found that it made me a better shooter all around by forcing me to focus on the fundamentals.

I'd agree with you on this.

ritepath
October 25, 2017, 06:02 PM
Now that I have a p-01 an sp-01 is my next CZ.

Phoenix54c
October 25, 2017, 07:14 PM
Now that I have a p-01 an sp-01 is my next CZ.

Sounds like wild cat mccane and you have some talking to do. :D

t107380
December 19, 2017, 07:02 AM
I think you should shoot the crap out of your sp01. When i got my CZ97BD same as the 01 but 45 auto the trigger was not that good after 1000 rounds SWEET!!!!

Pilot
December 19, 2017, 09:01 AM
How accurately, and reliably has it shot for you?

Radny97
December 19, 2017, 10:06 AM
Some people think that a gun has to have X and Y features or they don’t like it, etc. I have found this to be especially true with folks who have ten or fewer handguns (most of which are polymer striker fired) and who only shoot once or maybe twice a month. They’ve never fully taken apart a double action revolver or 1911 to really understand the mechanics and strengths/weaknesses of the design. They’ve never bench rest tested their different guns, or really put their guns through the paces of a 500 round course of fire for accuracy, operation, stress, etc.
I like most guns. Most guns have features to like. Some have features to dislike. Anyone who’s spent lots of time shooting handguns appreciates the SP01. There’s a reason CZs are copied so much and there’s a reason it’s one of the top choices for competitive shooters. If you don’t like it, start shooting other handguns lots more. Then come back to the SP01 and you may find that it’s lots better than you remember.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WVsig
December 19, 2017, 02:17 PM
Sell it why keep something you don’t like.

Brownstone322
December 19, 2017, 04:30 PM
I know this thread is a little old, and I originally read it as "P-01" rather than "SP-01." No matter, the CZ 75 issues are all about the same.

I have a PCR (same basic thing), and I agree that the narrow slide is uncomfortable; there's no way I can overhand it, because there's not much to grab onto. I flip it horizontally and pull the slide back between the thumb and index finger of my support hand. (I do the same thing with my Beretta 92 for similar reasons, but with the Beretta the slide-mounted safeties conveniently serve as "ears.") Anyway, I agree, I don't enjoy racking a CZ 75.

I think the decocker is fine. I think the double-action pull (from the half-cocked position) is comparable to the Beretta. It's been a while since I tried a double-action pull on a SIG P229, but as I recall it was very stiff.

The standard sights on my PCR are too small (tiny, really), but that's something a set of fiber-optic sights will fix.

The rubber grips (and the contours thereof) are just about perfect. And my gun is relatively light, but it's a compact with an aluminum frame.

On balance, I like the PCR, and the DA/SA operating system with decocker works about the way I would expect it to. But the narrow slide is a CZ thing, and I don't think I'll ever get used to it.

shootniron
December 19, 2017, 06:06 PM
I don't like them, either...but come to think of it, I don't like any CZ handgun. Now, rifles...that is another story.

otasan
December 19, 2017, 06:36 PM
Maybe a pistolsmith could improve the trigger?

Screwball
December 19, 2017, 08:25 PM
Love my SP-01... but got the standard model, and not the Tactical. Like cocked/locked over the decocker.

https://i.imgur.com/S1OXVlN.jpg

sigarms228
December 19, 2017, 08:32 PM
Elvis has left the building.

otasan
December 19, 2017, 09:53 PM
What kind of finish is that - greening rather than bluing?

Screwball
December 19, 2017, 10:19 PM
What kind of finish is that - greening rather than bluing?

Lighting... it is the standard black for the SP-01.

The grip screws, barrel, and CGW guide rod are all CPII (nickel boron). Eventually, I would like to do the complete gun, and .22 Kadet kit in it. But have other refinishing to do before that, such as my TAC-14 and P938 (both doing NP3 Plus).

scroadkill
December 20, 2017, 05:54 PM
well.. the sp01 out of the box is a fair deal. Heavy, reliable, built for cops and military.

For uspsa ide suggest starting with the shadow safety version at a minimum.

Now if you get the shadow variant, polish the trigger bar and contact points, drop in a competition hammer and preB disco shortening the reset, lighten up the springs, extend the firing pin - and run a few thousand 147gr rounds through it you will discover what all the fanboys are talking about. The SP01 is a service pistol that can be turned into an incredible shooter. The trigger can be made sub 2# and very short takeup and reset.

For concealed carry - the P01 is the gun.
for uspsa production / limited minor : shadow 2 or accu-shadow (both sp01 varients) -
for carry-optics - the sp01 shadow.
for limited major (small/medium hands): the tactical sport orange in .40 - the last 3 owners I have met all love theirs.

hemiram
December 21, 2017, 05:06 AM
I just turned down a good, not great deal on an almost new SP-01. I have no money left for any last minute bargains for the next month or so. The SP-01 is #1 on my list of wanted guns. IMHO, a well broken in or slicked up one is just about perfect as a gun can get..