PDA

View Full Version : Ideas for some aftermarket Glock 17/19 mods?

bbousa
July 23, 2017, 11:36 AM
I have been looking into a few different things.

-Apex trigger, obviously
-Match grade barrel (was thinking Zev Tech, but open to suggestions)
-Milled And Portrd Slide (maybe Zev Tech, but have heard some horror stories from them. Definitely looking for help in this department)
-Magwell and extended Baseplates

I open to all suggestions. The only thing I can tell you I am completely set on is the barrel must be ported. Just a look thing from my end. I love the look of the Zev Tech stuff, but people are not kind to them for reviews so it has made me think twice.

Thanks in advance!

Cyanide971
July 23, 2017, 11:59 AM
So you're going for modifications more suited to competition use? Mine are tailored to carry use, with most of them being primarily cosmetic with the addition of Ameriglo yellow outline front I-Dot NS, Glock 19 OEM front serrated slide, and a high trigger guard double undercut. The other mods were the addition of a Glock extended slide release and then the combination of a NY1 Trigger Spring and 3.5# "-" connector.

TailGator
July 23, 2017, 12:14 PM
What is the pistol going to be used for? How much handgun experience do you have? How much with Glocks?

T. O'Heir
July 23, 2017, 12:41 PM
Like TailGator says, what is the pistol going to be used for? And what's your budget?
The chambering sort of matters too. No match grade 9mm bullets around so a match grade 9mm barrel is kind of moot. Nobody talks about match grade .40 calibre bullets either.
Not really much need for ports, except for shooting game guns. However, you can buy an extended two-port barrel, allegedly drop-in, from Brownell's for $166.99.
You'll need high visibility sights too.

bbousa
July 23, 2017, 01:15 PM
Will mostly be used for some competition shooting. I do have some experience with Glocks. Owned a few in my day, but not in years. Budget for customization would be around 1000-1250.

lee n. field
July 23, 2017, 02:07 PM
I have been looking into a few different things.

-Apex trigger, obviously
-Match grade barrel (was thinking Zev Tech, but open to suggestions)
-Milled And Portrd Slide (maybe Zev Tech, but have heard some horror stories from them. Definitely looking for help in this department)
-Magwell and extended Baseplates

I open to all suggestions.

Leave it stock. Put in a Lone Wolf barrel, if you're going to shoot a lot of cast lead handloads. Shoot it a bunch

The only thing I can tell you I am completely set on is the barrel must be ported. Just a look thing from my end. I love the look of the Zev Tech stuff, but people are not kind to them for reviews so it has made me think twice.

Thanks in advance!

It's a full sized gun, shooting a 9mm parabellum. Recoil is negligible.

Just a look thing from my end. I love the look of the Zev Tech stuff

It's a Glock. Improving the aesthetics is an uphill climb.

What is the pistol going to be used for? How much handgun experience do you have? How much with Glocks?

What he said.

noonesshowmonkey
July 23, 2017, 02:21 PM
My preferred Glock trigger is a (-) connector, the connector found on the model 34/35. That, plus an extra power trigger spring gives a clear break and a nice reset, while being about a pound lighter than the stock pull.

After that, most anything you spend on mods should be spent on ammo.

An RMR would be an exception to this.

TTI baseplates are very nice, and as far extensions go, these are probably the best.

TunnelRat
July 23, 2017, 02:24 PM
What he said.

Look up.

bbousa
July 23, 2017, 04:32 PM
How is lone wolf for aftermarket parts? I never looked at them for custom slide work. And are their barrels better than Zev or S3F?

lee n. field
July 23, 2017, 06:01 PM
Look up.

Yep, saw it.

Glock_17
July 23, 2017, 06:39 PM
http://www.brownells.com/handgun-parts/trigger-group-parts/connector-parts/ghost-3-5-trigger-connector-prod25315.aspx

I would get this if i ever buy a Glock again. takes care of the spongy feeling and gives you a nice break. Not necessarily Ghost, there are plenty after markets connectors that work pretty much the same. Never noticed a hell of a lot of difference between the $3 ones and a $11 like ghost :)
But for the price of a beer or two, its hard to beat cost versus improving the feel of the whole pistol.

I never felt much need for a match barrel, getting good feeling trigger gets you in the X alot faster :)

Depending on how good your eyes are, and your uses maybe a fiber optic front sight

makarov
July 23, 2017, 09:07 PM
Honestly, I love Glocks for what they are. Utilitarian, dependable no BS pistols. If you have $1200 to spend in mods, just buy a different gun. Keep the Glock stock and look at maybe a CZ Performance model with some of those things already done to it. I have a CZ 75 and 85 Combat, neither are the performance IDPA or USPA type race guns, but they are fantastic. You might also look at a 1911 type pistol in 9mm. Then you would have two great guns instead of a a single modded Glock that probably would not shoot any better than the original. My Glock 21 is completely stock and shoots GREAT!

bbousa
July 23, 2017, 09:46 PM
It's more that I like the modified look and it's competition/ trophy gun. I just want it to run well. That's why I am asking for suggestions for aftermarket parts

dogtown tom
July 24, 2017, 12:31 AM
T. O'Heir .....No match grade 9mm bullets around so a match grade 9mm barrel is kind of moot.
Really? Nosler disagrees:https://www.nosler.com/match-grade-handgun-ammunition/
As does Federal, CorBon, Freedom Munitions, Hornaday, Winchester, Wilson Combat and others.

Some believe "match grade" means precision made to exacting specs and using the best materials and methods to produce the best accuracy. Others believe it merely a marketing term.

dogtown tom
July 24, 2017, 12:38 AM
bbousa It's more that I like the modified look and it's competition/ trophy gun. I just want it to run well. That's why I am asking for suggestions for aftermarket parts
Don't fix what ain't broke.

Aftermarket parts and "run well" don't always go hand in hand. In fact, Glock Inc tells us in the Armorers class that aftermarket parts are the first thing to look for in a malfunctioning Glock pistol.

I highly recommend going to a match where you can see what mods and gewgaws the winners are using. Cool pictures and looks don't win trophies.

JDBerg
July 24, 2017, 09:34 AM
IMHO, practice ammo & rangetime are the best Glock options. I might consider an Apex failure resistant extractor., a Ghost Rocket 3.5 Deluxe install kit, and a set of 10-8 Performance (F.O. front) sights after I've had about a years worth of practice with the stock config, I wouldn't put anything on that Glock that I couldn't take off & return to stock config especially if I decided to part with that particular Glock, although I'd never put the stock Glock sights back on.