PDA

View Full Version : .45 carry gun?

bbousa
July 9, 2017, 01:45 PM
I recently put my Glock 30s on consignment. Hated that thing for many reasons. Bought a shield in 9mm that I love for concealed carry, but I would also like a .45 to concealed carry as well. Was looking in a couple different directions. I was looking at the XDs (4inch barrel), a Kimber Ulta TLE, a Kimber CDP, or a Sig 1911 compact. What are your guys thoughts? Is there anything else that you guys have had great experiences with for concealed carry with a .45?

Nathan
July 9, 2017, 01:52 PM
Dan Wesson makes a fine 1911. The ECO & CCO align well to what you are asking for. My CCO is easy to carry and quite easy to hit with. I too back it up with a Shield 9, but had to get a rubber grip to hold the Shield effectively.

claydoctor
July 9, 2017, 02:05 PM
So why not the Shield in 45? I just bought one and can't wait to shoot it. I have the 9 and love the way it shoots. Told myself I didn't need a 45 but the rebate just made it too tempting. It feels terrific in the hand, particularly with the 7 round extended mag and has got to be the thinnest 45's you can buy. Word to the wise though, virtually impossible to get more than 3 rounds in the mag without a loader, at least at first .

Siggy-06
July 9, 2017, 02:39 PM
+1 on just getting a shield in .45 if you like the 9mm version.

I currently carry an XDS in 9mm. Great trigger, sights, and grip in my opinion. The .45 recoils a bit more but not bad. I believe springfield is still doing their promotion for 4 free magazines and holster with any pistol purchase.

BigJimP
July 9, 2017, 06:00 PM
I carried a full sized, 5" CQB model, Wilson Combat in .45 acp for many years...it was, and is...a great carry gun.

As my arthritis in my hands has gotten worse, I have retired the .45 acp as a carry gun, now its a range gun only, in favor of a Wilson Combat, Protector model, 5" all stainless in 9mm...( basically the same gun as the CQB ),,,

But I would recommend a number of the offerings from Wilson Combat as solid carry guns...they have lots of options from 4" - 5" especially.

CDR_Glock
July 9, 2017, 06:21 PM
I recently put my Glock 30s on consignment. Hated that thing for many reasons. Bought a shield in 9mm that I love for concealed carry, but I would also like a .45 to concealed carry as well. Was looking in a couple different directions. I was looking at the XDs (4inch barrel), a Kimber Ulta TLE, a Kimber CDP, or a Sig 1911 compact. What are your guys thoughts? Is there anything else that you guys have had great experiences with for concealed carry with a .45?

For the money, the Shield and XDS are great options. I don't carry them anymore because they're too pricey to lose: Ed Brown Kobra carry or my Special Forces are the best shooting for the size.

It all depends upon whether you want striker fire or SAO with condition 1.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

muzzleblast...
July 9, 2017, 06:59 PM
Since you like the Shield9, the Shield45 seems like a logical choice, especially with regard to maintaining consistency within your CCW platform. That said, commander sized 1911s are pretty sweet.

lee n. field
July 9, 2017, 07:00 PM

The XDS 45 is a handful, and will show up problems with your form and technique.

TunnelRat
July 9, 2017, 07:01 PM
I have shot a friend's Shield in 45 ACP a number of times. I think it's pretty nice (I really like the texture).

dgludwig
July 9, 2017, 07:30 PM
I carry a SIG Model 227 concealed comfortably in a Galco "King Tuk" iwb holster on occasion.

SocialAnarchist
July 9, 2017, 07:32 PM
I'm not sure why people believe the XDs in .45 acp is a handful and the recoil is excessive. I own one and I think it is a nice pistol. I honestly don't think the recoil is bad at all. My only other .45 is a 1911 and the recoil seems pretty comparable to me.

At self defense ranges I don't have trouble hitting what I'm aiming at and getting quick follow up shots.

Fla_dogman
July 9, 2017, 07:45 PM
I've carried 45's for years when working so I am used to the recoil already so when I purchased the XDS 4" it shot just like my duty weapons. I no longer carry the big 1911 or SIG just the XDS. It's light this and a good shooter.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

Dave T
July 9, 2017, 10:11 PM
I recently put my Glock 30s on consignment. Hated that thing for many reasons.

Nobody else has asked so I will. What are the "many reasons" you hated the Glock 30S? I ask because I carry one every day.

Dave

Water-Man
July 9, 2017, 10:31 PM
^^Start a new thread.^^

franco45
July 9, 2017, 11:23 PM
Another vote for the Shield in 45 acp. I picked one up during the $75 rebate period. it is a very nice piece

mk70ss
July 10, 2017, 05:24 AM
Sounds like the Shield in .45 or an XdS would be just the thing

Spats McGee
July 10, 2017, 06:09 AM
If you love the Shield in 9mm, I have to agree that getting one in .45 makes sense. I rented a 9mm Shield and really liked it, so I can see the appeal. That said, I got a chance to shoot an XDs in .45 a while back and was really surprised at what a soft shooter it was.

JERRYS.
July 10, 2017, 07:56 AM
for most folks its the weight not the size of a .45acp that makes it tough to ccw. with the right belt and holster my P220 Elite works well, but a few hours of carrying it you will notice.

JDBerg
July 10, 2017, 09:46 AM
If you like your 9mm Shield then it's worthwhile to try the .45ACP version. I'd consider a Sig P245 if you can find one, I'd also seriously consider an HK45 Compact if you can spend the money for it. A decent used HK USP Compact .45ACP is a great choice at a decent price.

SocialAnarchist
July 10, 2017, 10:21 AM
oldfart1944: Now wait a minute! I object!!!!!As a pistol-smith and fellow barrister "soft shooter" is a purely speculative assessment!

The laws of physics states that "every action has an opposite and equal reaction"and that law can never be changed by interpretation or cognitive concept comprehension.

Everything you said is true, BUT, perception is everything. Take my wife for example. She is a petite 5'2" and LOVES shooting my 1911 in .45, and absolutely HATES shooting my P89 in 9mm, even in single action. Why you ask? She says the "kick" of the P89 is far worse than the 1911. How can that be? The pistols are comparable in size and weight. Everyone says the 9mm recoils less than the .45. So why does she hate the 9mm and love the .45? The difference in felt recoil. To her the recoil of the .45 is a push and the recoil of the 9mm is a crack. Again, perception.

I don't find the recoil of the XDs excessive or in my perception any worse than the 1911 or P89. But others might. Such is life'

Hanshi
July 10, 2017, 01:59 PM
Never had any dealings with a dbl action .45acp. As a LEO I carried, concealed, a full size 1911. Now if I carry a .45acp it's my Kimber Ultra Carry I've had for 20 years; it's a treasure.

claydoctor
July 10, 2017, 02:02 PM
Brief range report. Took the .45 Shield out today and shot it along side my Ed Brown Special Forces .45. Obviously the recoil was more in the Shield but not as much as you would expect and certainly not objectionable . My Ed Brown is incredibly accurate but the Shield held its own, much more so than most striker fired pistols I have shot. I didn't "need" it but I sure am liking it .

hunterbob
July 10, 2017, 02:44 PM
My carry is a IV Colt, Combat Elite, 45 ACP,,,, backup is a Berretta Model 84, 380

JJ45
July 10, 2017, 04:15 PM
Funny thing about "perceived recoil" I perceive the recoil of my Colt LW Commander as being equal or even lighter than full size 1911s. All in .45 ACP. Even though it is some 9 ounces lighter.

An under cut trigger guard and grips as well as I think in CERTAIN weapons, a slightly shorter barrel might have something to do with it. Even though you would think a longer bore would recoil less.

Sometimes I carry FS 1911s and the only negative is they are heavy. 40 plus ounces. But they are quite concealable because of the "flat" profile The old advice-the right belt and holster is the big factor.

Spats McGee
July 11, 2017, 06:33 AM
f you love the Shield in 9mm, I have to agree that getting one in .45 makes sense. I rented a 9mm Shield and really liked it, so I can see the appeal. That said, I got a chance to shoot an XDs in .45 a while back and was really surprised at what a soft shooter it was.
Now wait a minute! I object!!!!!As a pistol-smith and fellow barrister "soft shooter" is a purely speculative assessment!
Yep. "Soft shooter" is a purely speculative assessment. I'm good with that.
The laws of physics states that "every action has an opposite and equal reaction"and that law can never be changed by interpretation or cognitive concept comprehension.
I'm vaguely aware of some of the laws of physics and their immutability. ;) However, how that equal and opposite reaction is translated into felt recoil most certainly does appear to be affected by a variety of factors. Pistol design and weight come to mind.

Back to the OP, though:
I was looking at the XDs (4inch barrel), a Kimber Ulta TLE, a Kimber CDP, or a Sig 1911 compact. What are your guys thoughts? Is there anything else that you guys have had great experiences with for concealed carry with a .45?
As I stated above, I found the XDs to be a surprisingly soft shooter. If I were looking for something in that size (I'd call it subcompact), I'd likely be looking at it (XDs) or the Shield. I'm not a huge Kimber fan, so of the 1911s listed, I'd likely go with the Sig. However, if I were going to drop that kind of coin, I'd probably take a peek at Dan Wesson's pistols. (Disclaimer: I have no experience with any of those pistols, so my free advice is worth exactly what you've paid for it.)

Longhorn1986
July 11, 2017, 08:04 AM
Bbousa,

I have the Ultra TLE as my EDC and am very happy with it. I also have its big brother in Custom and one shoots very much like the other. Some may prefer higher capacity and others may bash Kimber just because, but I'd buy mine again in a New York second.

dgludwig
July 11, 2017, 01:25 PM
Just what is a New York second?

Why, it's a fraction of a New York minute.

A question for you: Why are you strapping your gun belt around your trash barrel? ;)

Water-Man
July 11, 2017, 11:06 PM
^^^;)^^^

bedbugbilly
July 12, 2017, 09:00 AM
I'm like Dave T .. . . I'm curious as to what the OP found with the Glock 30 that he didn't like?

I currently carry a 9mm Shield or a Smith 36 snub in 38 Spl. I reload and am looking at adding a 45 for carry - I've never owned a Glock but am considering one. So not to start a Pro/con Glock debate - maybe in another thread the OP could explain what and why he doesn't like the Glock? Realizing that everyone likes different things - I'd just like to hear his opinion and experiences that has contributed to his decision to seek a different 45?

And by the way - I love my Shield and will probably add a 45 Shield in the future at some point . . . but am still interested in a Glock as well as looking at the Springfields.

damienph
July 12, 2017, 09:54 AM
I have no experience with the S&W Shield series. I sometimes carry a Springfield Armory 1911 Ultra Compact .45ACP. Some comment that short barreled 1911s aren't reliable but mine has been 100%.

mete
July 12, 2017, 10:05 AM
There are technical reasons but a short barreled 45acp is more reliable with lighter bullets. Lots of good ammo choices out there with lighter bullets so check them out !

weblance
July 12, 2017, 10:42 AM
I've carried a Kahr CM45 for several years now and have been very happy with it. Its DAO, and has a trigger that is very similar to a DAO revolver. Someone described the trigger as "ball bearing smooth", and I agree. The CM series is small, light and inexpensive.

rt11002003
July 12, 2017, 12:11 PM
Bought my .45ACP Shield before the rebate. Great carry gun. It's been with me everyday since I bought it. I shoot it very well. Not a target pistol, but at 10 yards all rounds stay in a 5 inch target.

themalicious0ne
July 12, 2017, 12:41 PM
I would have to agree that if you already like the shield, the one in .45 sounds like a good option. It is also one of the most affordable.

Having shot both the XDS and the Shield 45 side by side(I own the XDS, brother owns the Shield) they are very similar, both amazing and totally depends on your preferences. The Shield feels very nice in the hand and has a "better" trigger than the XDS. If Springfield incorporated their Mod2 gripzone to the XDS, I would be all over it. I am not a big fan of the feel of the grenade style grip in the hand, although it grips fine. The XDS has a heavier trigger, but I actually like how it breaks after you get it broken in. However, I strongly prefer my XDS with a 4" barrel. Helps tame a little more of the recoil, which isn't near as bad as I was expecting and gives a longer sight radius. I actually shoot this gun far better than I expected as well. My accuracy is on par with full sized semi auto's.

If I were to go back and do it again now that the shield 45 is available, I would still choose the XDS in the 4" barrel. If I was limited between the two having a 3.3" barrel I would choose the shield. Probably doesn't help you too much. They are both great but different so it's really up to you... among any other options you are considering.

Lost River
July 12, 2017, 10:42 PM
If the OP does not like the G30S I suspect the switching to another lightweight .45 ACP compact pistol like a Shield or XD or LWC may not have the desired results.

It might actually help to explore what the actual issues are instead of playing the gun trading games that so many do, instead of mastering fundamentals.

I have shot my G30S side by side with a Colt Lightweight Commander, as well as an all steel Colt Officer's ACP with 3.5" barrel, and performance (splits, shot to shot recovery times, and accuracy, Bill Drills) was best with the G30S.

Hal
July 13, 2017, 02:28 AM
I have a .45acp shield I've been putting off testing out.
No real reason why, other than I haven't had time the last few months to get to the range.

It feels like it should be a good shooter - - but - - the overall size, once it's sitting side by side with my Colt Commander - doesn't inspire any great feelings that it's "the magic weapon".

Although I bought it for a carry gun, I might be real tempted to get another Commander for that job and find some other (car gun maybe?)use for the Shield.

Armybrat
July 13, 2017, 11:12 AM
My favorite .45ACP to tote concealed is this Kahr CW45 6+1:

http://images.yuku.com/image/jpeg/fe9358894a19d0f613c2b6df07637b91fb7fc33.jpg

Minorcan
July 13, 2017, 04:35 PM
My EDC is usually my XDS 45 3.3. It's small enough to be pocket carried or IWB. It always goes bang and has never had a jam or failure to cycle. The big difference in carrying a 45 is the weight of the ammo. 9mm is 115 great and 45 is 230 great. Of course that can be reduced a little by going lighter on the 45 but not by a whole lot.

Schnitzjr
July 13, 2017, 08:47 PM
I think the .45 Shield is a great option , especially now with the $75 rebate.
I bought mine before the rebate and like it very much. I had an XDS 45 but just couldn't get along with it.

joeb1
July 13, 2017, 09:51 PM
I have and LOVE my S&W Performance Center Shield 45. Best carry I've ever had. Handles & shoots better and easier than my Shield 40. Rapid Fire (as fast as I could pull the trigger) 5 & 7 yards. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170714/0330a1f2b7d304477fa8b872d90368f4.jpg

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk

L-2
July 13, 2017, 10:02 PM
First, welcome to Post#23's "hunterbob" who made his first post after 19 months.

I can't advise on any of the OP's considered handguns. When I carry a .45ACP, I've got three full-size/5" 1911 handguns; and two Glock 30 models (an SF and a Gen4). I had more full-size 1911s but downsized and also had a Colt Commander/4.25", but sold that, too.

I don't know the reason why the G30S isn't working out, but reliability is my first requirement.
2nd would be concealment, if that's a concern.
3rd would be my accuracy.
All of which give me confidence when carrying a particular firearm to be carried/concealed.

I'm mainly carrying a Glock in 9mm nowadays.

railroader
July 14, 2017, 12:08 AM
I have a few carry guns. A shield in 9mm, a kahr cm9, a XDS45 and I use to have a kahr cw45. All of them are reliable but the XDS45 definitely is the most accurate out of the bunch. One thing the grip texture on the XDS45 is very aggressive so it now wears talon grips. Other than that it is my favorite with the cm9 running second. Here's two five shot groups at ten yards I shot last weekend. Not bad with one flyer. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170714/bac30764593b6e5c05d132d42f61edc9.jpg

bdb benzino
July 14, 2017, 01:15 AM
I also have to speak on behalf of the Kahr CW45. I love that you can use 1911 mags for a more concealable profile. Thin, light, and love that Kahr trigger!

claydoctor
July 14, 2017, 07:39 AM
I think the .45 Shield is a great option , especially now with the $75 rebate.
I bought mine before the rebate and like it very much. I had an XDS 45 but just couldn't get along with it.
Unless they have extended it, the rebate expired June 30.

Spats McGee
July 14, 2017, 07:43 AM
It does not appear that the rebate has been extended, but there's a new promotion: https://www.smith-wesson.com/rebates

18DAI
July 14, 2017, 08:50 AM
When I retired and started working part time, I chose the S&W 457 as my carry gun. Inexpensive, accurate and bet your life reliable.

Give one a try. You will be glad you did. Regards 18DAI

Armybrat
July 14, 2017, 10:00 AM
I also have to speak on behalf of the Kahr CW45. I love that you can use 1911 mags for a more concealable profile. Thin, light, and love that Kahr trigger!
Yep - that's a MecGar Officer's mag in mine. I don't like the factory ones much.

Also have a CT380, and gifted my PM9 to my oldest son years ago.

CDR_Glock
July 14, 2017, 10:29 AM
I would also carry my FN FNP 45. Great gun with a high capacity

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

chaim
July 15, 2017, 11:09 AM

I don't own any of the guns you are looking at, so take this with the appropriate grain of salt.

I've wanted a Kimber CDP since I first saw an ad for them 16 or 17 years ago. At the time I thought the CDP Pro would be the perfect carry gun: aluminum frame, Commander size (my preference), night sights, melt treatment/dehorned, and beautiful (OK, not really needed in a carry gun). It was out of my price range however so I didn't get one then, they went to the Series II and lost some luster in my eyes (though I do still want one), and we all see the internet reports that quality has suffered. I still want a CDP, and a Kimber generally, but due to those reports I haven't been able to pull the trigger. I recently bought a RIA Rock CS over the Kimber Ultra II (my eventual top two choices, narrowed down from a top 3 of those and the Colt Defender, and original consideration of nearly the entire field of sub-$1000 3-3.5" 1911s), with the final decision being largely due to the reliability reputation. If you can get over the reputation, if losing money on trading it if you get a bad one is a risk you are willing to take, the Kimber would probably be my first choice, but only with that disclaimer.

I wouldn't go with the XDs due to capacity. It is about the size of a CCO 1911 (compact frame, Commander slide) but with too small a capacity at 5 rounds with the flush mag, 6 rounds extended (6 round mags are the standard mag for a compact sized 1911, and many companies make 7 round flush or nearly flush mags).

If it were my dollars, and limited to your choices, I'd be neck and neck between the SIG and the Kimber. If you are willing to take a chance on the Kimber reputation, I'd go Kimber, if you want to play it safe (i.e. you don't have the money to lose if you are unlucky, and/or don't have other comparable guns to carry until you replace it if you are unlucky) I'd go SIG.

Out of guns I've experienced and had good luck with in .45ACP, I'd go SIG or S&W or save some money and go RIA or Citadel.

I have a SIG P250 Compact in .45 which has been a great gun and I think is a great size for carry (maybe a little thick). It is a double stack, polymer, DAO auto. It holds 10 rounds (9+1) of .45. If you want something smaller, I'd strongly consider the P250 Subcompact, and if you want a shorter trigger pull I'd consider the P320 in .45.

I have a Commander sized S&W 1911SC (the original generation of the 1911SC, basically the same gun as the S&W 1911PD). It has been perfect, is very well made, and I wouldn't hesitate to consider a compact sized S&W 1911 if it was in the price range I was considering, or any S&W 1911 for that matter.

I also had great luck with a Charles Daly 1911. Over 10K rounds through it when I sold it. Very few issues, and it performed wonderfully once I replaced the stock mags. That experience makes me view Armscor brand 1911s very favorably. Hence, my just recently buying the RIA (it is on layaway a few more days) and I also considered the Citadel (also made by Armscor). They are less expensive than the other 1911s on your list, but don't overlook them as a result, they may still be a good choice.

Mannlicher
July 15, 2017, 12:25 PM
seems like I have spent half my life carrying a full size 1911 or a Commander sized one. Back a few years ago, I picked up two Springfield XDS pistols. They have pretty much replaced the 1911 platform.
Much easier to conceal, and I shoot them as well.

rodfac
July 16, 2017, 07:04 PM
For carry, I'd assume you're talking about an alloy frame 1911, as all of the steel ones in my experience are just too damned heavy to tote all day long.

I've had great luck with a cpl Colt brand LT Wt Commanders over the years in .45 ACP. Both shot well (<3" at 25 yds from a rest) with no tuning required, but both needed and eventually got a trigger job by a local hot-shot 1911 smith.

For right out of the box, with superb accuracy and no trigger work required, I was given a Sig RCS 1911. It's the best by far. Lt weight, alloy frame, tritium night sights, 4" bbl. Officer's Model grip length, flared mag well, checkered frame, it's got it all. Sig doesn't make 'em any more, the pity, but they're on GB frequently at reduced prices. It's a honey of a concealed carry gun....by far my favorite. In 50+ years of carrying 1911's, in peace and war, I've yet to find one to compare. Rod

http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/ii64/Rodfac/Handguns/IMG_5477_zpsaewvfhlt.jpg (http://s261.photobucket.com/user/Rodfac/media/Handguns/IMG_5477_zpsaewvfhlt.jpg.html)

cw308
July 17, 2017, 04:12 PM
My carry was the old reliable S&W 2" chief 38 SPL. for years , now its in the safe 90% of the time. The Colt New Agent 3" in 45acp. is with me 90% of the time. Came with crimson trace laser grips , I shoot once a week 50 rounds. Nice little piece .

rodfac
July 18, 2017, 07:27 AM
OT...what's with Photobucket lately...got the "update" sticker above in my post #51. Going to the site results in a long delay and no help in "HELP". Rod

KyJim
July 18, 2017, 08:45 AM
OT...what's with Photobucket lately...got the "update" sticker above in my post #51. Going to the site results in a long delay and no help in "HELP". RodFor a full thread on this, look at https://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=587960.

The short answer is that Photobucket has screwed everyone and wants $399 per year to allow users to direct link to their photos from other websites. You will need to either upload the photos here or go to another photo hosting site (unless you want to pay the piper). I am trying imgur.com but have only posted one photo so far.

The forums on which I post, mostly here and one other, do not allow editing posts past a certain date so I can't go back and cleanup those messages.

Siggy-06
July 19, 2017, 08:36 AM
I've switched to postimage.org after the photobucket b.s. for my images.

The_Jerkman
July 19, 2017, 09:18 AM
Hk45c is going to be my new carry gun. Throwing a nice Trijicon RMR on it this weekend. Should have my new custom Elephant hide holster mid August. Looking forward to carrying then

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

rodfac
July 19, 2017, 09:22 AM
Thx KY and Siggy...I'm done with PBkt...Rod