PDA

View Full Version : Which of these deals is the best bang for you buck?

John357
June 16, 2017, 08:43 PM
Hey guys. So I am a 19 y/o college student who wants to buy their first very own shotgun. Here are some great deals on Bud's Gun Shop that I have come across, and I'm having a hard time narrowing down what I would like due to my inexperience.

https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/34511/MOSSBERG+88+FIELDSECURITY+COMBO+12+GAUGE
--This is a Maverick 88 Field/Security Combo for only $228. It comes with an 18.5 barrel for HD, as well as a 28 inch barrel for hunting.
--It has a capacity of 6 rounds

https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/719014607/Mossberg+M500+8-Shot+12+GA
--This is a Mossberg 500 with a 20 inch barrel and an 8 shot capacity for $249
--It also comes with a heat shield (not that important to me, but it is included).

I am having a hard time deciding, because I like the benefits of the ambidextrous tang safety on the 500, as well as the larger capacity. I would just go with the Mossberg 88 and increase it's capacity, but I have read it is very difficult to install an extended magazine for it.

I would like a shotgun for home defense, shooting clays, and hunting. So on paper, two barrels for that price sounds excellent.

But worries I am facing are whether or not the quality of the Maverick is not as good as the 500. I've heard they're damn near the same from some and the quality difference is negligible, and have heard others who bash the 88 (but I suspect they're just being snobby about it's inexpensive price point). An additional worry is the capacity loss of the Maverick 88. Is that even a big deal, or I am just being too picky?

Please do not suggest I get an 870 Express. I have heard far too many horror stories about them ever since Freedom Group took them over. Any other gun suggestions are welcome though. My budget is only $300.

Thanks guys!

GarandTd
June 16, 2017, 09:56 PM
The trigger group is the main difference between the mav 88 and the m500 and that is only because of the different safeties. I bought a field model 20gauge Maverick and have been very happy with it. If you want versatility, I would recommend the Maverick. The field barrel will be compatible with the accu-chokes. The 8 shot m500 is a fixed cylinder bore and won't be as practical for hunting.

Blindstitch
June 17, 2017, 12:13 AM
If those are the only choices I would choose the Maverick because the cylinder choke isn't of any use to me for hunting or clays.

But if you had a bird barrel on the 500 I would take it in a heartbeat. Yes I do own two. I would also check some places that sell used and see if I could find one with an accuchoke barrel and then pick up one of those short cylinder barrels.

https://www.cheaperthandirt.com/product/mossberg-500-security-barrel-12-gauge-185-bead-sight-smooth-cylinder-bore-steel-blued-finish-90015-015813900157.do?sortby=ourPicks&refType=&from=fn

darkgael
June 17, 2017, 06:49 AM
Maverick for sure.
Of the three things that you would like to do with the gun, one.....with any luck at all...will probably never happen. Buy the gun based on it most probable and frequent use.
Clay games and hunting are both better served with a longer barrel and changeable chokes.
Pete

FITASC
June 17, 2017, 07:38 AM
Of those two choices, AND based on what you want to do, the Maverick wins hands-down.

Rifletom
June 17, 2017, 09:30 AM
The Maverick. Two barrels for different applications. If you need additional chokes, buy Carlson's. Easy to find and in-expensive. That Mav combo will get you started in the right direction. Have fun.

JoeSixpack
June 17, 2017, 10:50 AM
Maverick is probably your better option.

The two guns are very similar. Especially since I hear the 500 is often coming with the 1 piece forend that the 88's have had for a long time.. NOT A GOOD THING.

The major difference is the location of the safety the 500 comes with a tang safety the 88's come with a simple cross bolt, the cross bolt makes more sense if you ever plan to put a pistol grip on it.
The 500 also comes tapped for a rail, the 88's do not.

If you're wanting a 8 shot model they DO make a 8shot maverick.
Barrels and mag tubes will swap between the two guns.

I don't shoot my 88's that often but I don't really see a compelling reason to buy the 500's over the 88's.. the 590 on the other hand, different beast.