PDA

View Full Version : CZ P10C range trip

njsco
May 6, 2017, 03:53 AM
A local independent gun shop just received a small number of the CZ P10C pistols. Since I was the first person on the reserve list I was able to purchase one on Thursday, May 4th. I immediately took the pistol to the range and shot it straight from the box, no lube and with the pre-installed medium grip panel.

I fired a total of 375 rounds in about 1.5 hours at ranges from 5 to 25 yards.

The ammo used included:
175 rounds Federal Aluminum 115gr FMJ
100 rounds Perfecta 115 gr FMJ
50 rounds S&B 115 gr FMJ
50 rounds Federal American Eagle 124gr FMJ

I did not deliberately shoot for accuracy and just concentrated on getting a feel for the new pistol.

At 25 yards it was not difficult to keep all hits on a folded piece of copier paper (8 1/2 by 11 folded to 8 1/2 by 6 1/2) even shooting relatively quickly.
At closer ranges "single-hole" clusters were the norm with a few scattered shots from poor form or losing the sight picture. The pistol does not lack for mechanical accuracy.

Observations from shooting:
The point of impact seemed to be at the top edge of the front sight, not quite a six o'clock hold. Although from the grip angle and shape I naturally tended to shoot high if I lost track of the sights.

There were no malfunctions of any kind, although I did experience a few failures of the slide to lock back on an empty magazine when my strong side thumb rode the slide lock.

The trigger reach feels short, really short. I have large hands and the deep undercut at the top of the grip emphasized this.

The trigger has a light, less than 2 lb. take up of about 3/8th inch, a crisp break at about 5 lbs. with minimal creep and no noticeable over travel. (All these measurements were made by eyeball and uncalibrated finger)

The trigger reset is short, certainly less than 1/8 inch of finger movement and is tactile and audible (when dry firing).

The front and back strap texture is aggressive but was not noticeably uncomfortable while shooting but does feel sharp while griping the pistol
The texturing on the sides of the grips felt inadequate to allow the lower palm of the support hand to help fully stabilize the pistol.

The trigger is an unusual shape, almost but not quite like the standard Glock 19 trigger. The trigger face is small with vertical ridges and rounded outside edges; this creates less surface area than a true flat faced trigger. The small center "safety" tab on the trigger has noticeable edges and does not sit flat when depressed. All of this made for a trigger I did not find particularly comfortable and I even developed a small blister on the tip of my trigger finger.

The pistol recoil impulse is a bit different. This is a flat shooting gun with minimal nuzzle flip. The muzzle seems to naturally stay down and the pistol seems to push more straight back into your hands than most similarly sized polymer pistols.

The pistol slipped easily and securely into two different Blade Tech Kydex Glock 19 holsters I have on hand.

The slide release is stiff with a small top edge and not easy to use as a slide release, manipulating the slide was sometimes required to chamber a round from slide lock.

the sights on the basic black model are metal with three luminescent paint dots.

Summary:

Currently, in basic striker fired pistols, I use an FNS9, Walther PPQ m1 and Gen4 Glock 19. So far, I personally seem to shoot the FNS9 best and like it the most of the four pistols. The CZ P10C compares well to all of these and offers some unique features. I switched to the larger back strap and I will be spending more time at the range with this new pistol.

armoredman
May 6, 2017, 04:34 AM
Thank you for the detailed report! You aren't the first person to comment on the trigger safety lever, wonder if this will be the first Manticore offered aftermarket part? :cool:

Cyanide971
May 6, 2017, 10:41 AM
Excellent report, congrats and thank you. Ugh, was hoping the trigger drop safety blade would depress flush. Oh well, nothing a little bit of careful sanding work wouldn't help with. I'm really looking forward to trying one out... eventually! [emoji23]

Pilot
May 7, 2017, 10:14 AM
Excellent report, thanks! I'll stick with my 75D PCR to fill this role, but if someone held a gun to my head, and forced me to pick a polymer, striker fired pistol it would the CZ. :D

wild cat mccane
May 7, 2017, 05:16 PM
Am I the only one that was overwhelmed by the review? :)

This was suppose to kill the PPQ/VP9/P320s of the world

armoredman
May 7, 2017, 07:03 PM
No, the only thing that was said was an overzealous reviewer called it the "Glock Killer", which I never did. It is supposed to be an excellent striker fired poly pistol, but it would take quite a bit to knock the Drastic Plastic off the pedestal.

TunnelRat
May 7, 2017, 07:22 PM
It sounds like a good pistol. But the reality is there are already a number of good pistols out there. I can see why it's important for CZ to have an entry in this market and I'll admit that I'm anxious to handle one, but nothing is really "game changing" these days.

sigarms228
May 7, 2017, 07:28 PM
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I agree. I tried one out a few weekends back and really like it but I have to agree with OP comment about the really short trigger reach which was way too short for me and my XL glove sized hands and noticeably shorter than my Gen 2 Glock 19. Hopefully I can try one out with the large back strap at some point in time. I liked shooting better and had better results with the P07 and PCR I tried the same day. I kind of want a PCR now. :)

jackstrawIII
May 8, 2017, 11:05 AM
Thanks for sharing. I'm a bit concerned about the short trigger reach. I sold the P30 I owned (for about 3 days) because of this issue.

I'll probably still end up buying one... but I hope it's not as bad as I'm hearing.

njsco
May 8, 2017, 06:57 PM
Update:

I've switched to the larger back strap and added skateboard to the sides of the grip. This noticeably changed the feel of the pistol grip and felt recoil. The pistol seems to actually flip a bit more but is easier to hold securely.

I now have about 450 more rounds fired for a total of 825 with no failures of any type.

Some people on other forums are reporting issues with sticky magazines. I've had no problems with the 8 magazines I use.

I am still dealing with riding the slide release but will eventually work that out.

I also forgot to mention previously that the extractor acts as both a tactile and visible loaded chamber indicator.

The CZ P10C, in my opinion, is a solid mid-sized polymer pistol, accurate and relatively easy to shoot but so far doesn't stand out as exceptional.

Bart Noir
May 9, 2017, 06:58 PM
I fired a total of 375 rounds in about 1.5 hours

I even developed a small blister on the tip of my trigger finger.

There just might be a relationship between those :D

Sounds like the kind of range day we all want.

Bart Noir

TunnelRat
May 9, 2017, 07:31 PM
Nah. I've done 500 rds in a day with a Glock without a blister. Some designs seem to cause it more (and some people are more susceptible too to be fair).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tlh24
May 10, 2017, 11:40 AM
Some reviewers stated the trigger on the CZ P10C has the better trigger than even the Walther PPQ. Any thoughts or input on this claim??

TunnelRat
May 10, 2017, 12:35 PM
^one comment I would make on that is those impressions for most reviewers were from pre production pistols.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sigarms228
May 10, 2017, 01:31 PM
^^^^^^^ Yep.

Go to 20.0 on this video by Military Arms Channel and he talks about the trigger. He says CZ P10-C trigger it is very nice but "PPQ I think still reigns supreme".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r1zWm09BOrM

njsco
May 10, 2017, 05:05 PM
In addition to the CZ P10 C I have three PPQ variants an original M1, a 5" M2 and a Q5 Match.

The shape of the PPQ trigger feels better to me and the break is lighter with a shorter reset; the PPQ trigger allows for a true "surprise" break. For gaming and fast shooting the PPQ trigger wins, in my opinion.

The CZ P10C trigger seems to have a more distinct break point so it can be staged or held near to the break point more easily. The CZ P10C trigger is probably better suited for carry or duty use.

I think the shortcoming of the CZ P10C trigger is the actual trigger blade, it is narrow with noticeable ridges, not the pull weight or pull feel of the mechanism.

jwalker
May 10, 2017, 05:48 PM
Thanks for this post. Like many, I have been waiting for this pistol to be released. I want a threaded barrel version, still have not heard anything from my local GS.

cnj
May 11, 2017, 09:37 PM
So I will get either this gun or the new Beretta APX in the next few months. Really leaning toward the Beretta at this point, but it sure would be interesting to see a direct comparison between the two guns.......

Z400ACDC
May 12, 2017, 02:46 PM
What is the average pull weight of the New CZ? Reviews had it at 4.5.

WVsig
May 13, 2017, 11:24 AM
The shape of the PPQ trigger feels better to me and the break is lighter with a shorter reset; the PPQ trigger allows for a true "surprise" break. For gaming and fast shooting the PPQ trigger wins, in my opinion.

If this is the case how come no top level shooters use a PPQ? I hear it all the time that the PPQ is the end all be all of striker fired triggers but that is never from top level shooters. Can anyone explain this to me.

TunnelRat
May 13, 2017, 11:41 AM
Can anyone explain this to me.

It's a conspiracy.

WVsig
May 13, 2017, 12:06 PM
It's a conspiracy.

Clearly but it makes me wonder if the PPQ is head and shoulders above other ploy pistols in terms of trigger for gaming and fast shooting the why aren't more people at the top level using it.

TunnelRat
May 13, 2017, 12:14 PM
It's a fair question. It certainly does get a lot of love online to almost a cult like status, but like you I haven't seen/heard much of them in competition. Maybe still some leftover effects of Walther having been under S&W in terms of importation for so long and not getting much promotion? It does seem like Walther Arms (the American branch) is making some effort to advertise and get their name out there, both in magazines and online. I'm not sure what their market penetration is at this point.

For me personally if you asked me to shoot a slow fire 5 rd group at say 15-25 yds with a striker fired pistol the PPQ would be one I might look to. At the same time I find there are other designs I can seemingly shoot faster while maintaining a given group size, Glocks being one of them. Not sure if that's a bore axis effect or just the way I personally interact with the pistol. As much as I do like the pistol when I shoot it, I no longer own one. As much as I liked it I found myself shooting other pistols more.

njsco
May 13, 2017, 04:06 PM
My statement:

Quote from WVSig:

If this is the case how come no top level shooters use a PPQ? I hear it all the time that the PPQ is the end all be all of striker fired triggers but that is never from top level shooters. Can anyone explain this to me.

My statement was meant as a relative judgement of the PPQ and CZ P10 C triggers, not an absolute statement about the PPQ trigger being the best ever; I thought it was clear from context.

WVsig
May 13, 2017, 07:00 PM
For me personally if you asked me to shoot a slow fire 5 rd group at say 15-25 yds with a striker fired pistol the PPQ would be one I might look to. At the same time I find there are other designs I can seemingly shoot faster while maintaining a given group size, Glocks being one of them. Not sure if that's a bore axis effect or just the way I personally interact with the pistol. As much as I do like the pistol when I shoot it, I no longer own one. As much as I liked it I found myself shooting other pistols more.

100% mirrors my time on the PPQ. It was a good gun and shot well but for some reason when I put it on the timer and tried to run it at speed the results
simply where not there compared to other guns.

sigarms228
May 13, 2017, 07:38 PM
The fairly new PPQ Q5 match seems to have potential to make some progress in competition circles. I have no experience with it. There is a very recent discussion about it on the Pistol Forum an references a shooter that almost won the Nationals in his division with it out of the box. Link below has details that includes direct comparisons of the OP compared to his Glocks with photos and videos. He has 3 of them now but had a reliability problem with one of them.

I don't do any competition but I may have to try one of these out. The Q5 goes for about $780.

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?25077-PPQ-Q5

http://www.waltherarms.com/handguns/q5-match/