PDA

View Full Version : Best polymer 9mm target pistol for under $1000

bimmerland
March 28, 2017, 03:40 PM
I love my kimber pro carry II 9mm because of its weight but it lacks in capacity. So here's what I'm looking for.
Requirements - no particular order

1 - Weight around 25 ounces with no mags
2 - Polymer design to reduce weight
3 - High capacity of at least 15 rounds or more.
4 - 18 degree grip angle similar to 1911 design.
5 - Optional interchangeable back straps
6 - Excellent sights - don't have to be night sights
7 - Option for red dot installation
8 - Excellent trigger with pull under 5 pounds. Will not mind installation of a trigger kit if necessary.
9 - Must have at least 2 safeties

Been shooting a 9mm loaded SA but weight getting to be an issue relating to accuracy. Arthritic hands can't hold a 43 ounce gun long enough for accurate shots. My Kimber is very accurate but lacks in capacity and sight options. I load my own rounds so I have a reliable and comfortable formula.

I shoot mainly paper and regularly get groups of 1.5 inches at 7 yards with the Kimber free standing.

Please give me any suggestions pertaining to guns you have shot and not just word of mouth. I'm looking for real world experience.

Remember weight and capacity are very critical in this decision.

Thanks in advance for all your suggestions. If you have any questions please PM me.

zincwarrior
March 28, 2017, 03:49 PM
SA only? CZs make a lighter DA version (or one you can set to DA with a safety).

Additionally M&P has a safety version. You can put an Apex tweak up and Apex/Bar Sto competition trigger onto it. Mine has an under three lb pull.
Or just get an M&P Pro with a safety.

Glock well there's a whole world of Glocks and tweaks for under $1,000. You can have an aftermarket piece known as "the Gadget" put on which is another version of an active safety.

Do you consider a grip safety as a safety? If yes then a Springfield XDM 5.25in is a nice baseline competition pistol with fiber optic sights adjustable sights. You can tweak the trigger action and get a Bar-Sto barrel if desired.

Just some off the top of my head.

bimmerland
March 28, 2017, 03:53 PM
SA only? CZs make a lighter DA version (or one you can set to DA with a safety).

Additionally M&P has a safety version. You can put an Apex tweak up and Apex/Bar Sto competition trigger onto it. Mine has an under three lb pull.
Or just get an M&P Pro with a safety.

Glock well there's a whole world of Glocks and tweaks for under $1,000. You can have an aftermarket piece known as "the Gadget" put on which is another version of an active safety.

Do you consider a grip safety as a safety? If yes then a Springfield XDM 5.25in is a nice baseline competition pistol with fiber optic sights adjustable sights. You can tweak the trigger action and get a Bar-Sto barrel if desired.

Just some off the top of my head.
Very good suggestions. Any of these capable of red dot sight installation.

zincwarrior
March 28, 2017, 04:04 PM
https://www.smith-wesson.com/firearms/performance-center-mp-9l-pro-series-core
Does not have a thumb safety. S&W just started converting over to 2.0 which has a safety so I imagine that will change.

http://www.springfield-armory.com/products/xdm-4-5-osp-full-size-9mm/
not the full target version.

https://us.glock.com/mos/
Glock with optic system. I'm not the most familiar with Glocks but I am sure others are. Its say G34 is one which i believe is the competition version.

https://www.americanrifleman.org/articles/2015/11/20/optics-ready-handguns-and-mini-reflex-sight-round-up/
A nice article on it.

bimmerland
March 28, 2017, 04:07 PM
https://www.smith-wesson.com/firearms/performance-center-mp-9l-pro-series-core
Does not have a thumb safety. S&W just started converting over to 2.0 which has a safety so I imagine that will change.

http://www.springfield-armory.com/products/xdm-4-5-osp-full-size-9mm/
not the full target version.

https://us.glock.com/mos/
Glock with optic system. I'm not the most familiar with Glocks but I am sure others are. Its say G34 is one which i believe is the competition version.

https://www.americanrifleman.org/articles/2015/11/20/optics-ready-handguns-and-mini-reflex-sight-round-up/
A nice article on it.
Glock out of running due to no manual safety. M&P seems to be the greatest consensus. Thanks

zincwarrior
March 28, 2017, 04:22 PM
As noted in defense of Glock (friends don't let friends shoot Glock) the aftermarket piece is an NRA noted aftermarket part to be used as an active safety.

Regardless get lots of opinions. Those are just some firearms you might consider.

You made me defend Glock. Now I feel icky. :cool:

MarkCO
March 28, 2017, 06:48 PM
CZP09. Best fit for your criteria.

31 ounces, 19 rounds, soft recoil and very accurate.

I started with Glocks years ago, skipped the XDs and went to M&Ps and I am putting together competition package on one of my CZP09s.

rkbanet
March 28, 2017, 07:09 PM
IMHO there is no such thing as a TRUE target centerfire pistol polymer or otherwise for less than a $1000. I take it what you are looking for is a typical pistol setup for casual target shooting. All one needs to do for an CASUAL target pistol is to do some trigger work, maybe change the grips (if possible) and put more precise sights on it. Any midsize or better yet fullsize pistol will do. A SA trigger would be a plus.

dgludwig
March 31, 2017, 06:26 PM
IMHO there is no such thing as a TRUE target centerfire pistol polymer or otherwise for less than a $1000.

I share your opinion completely and for the reasons you stated.

random guy
March 31, 2017, 08:57 PM
If weight is a major issue, you may not like high capacity mags. Polymer hi-cap pistols are amazingly light...till you load them.

There are polymer, single stack 1911s out there and might be a good bet for an excellent trigger. Few if any striker fired guns have what you would consider an excellent target trigger. They are usually duty or self defense type guns.

Most modern pistols have multiple passive safeties. Is there a legal reason that you want at least two (active or passive?) safeties?

dakota.potts
April 2, 2017, 12:07 PM
I love my CZs, but I would take a hard look at the Sig P320 in your situation. It is the first striker fired gun I have fired where I was really impressed with the trigger and the feel. They have one that ships with a red dot from the factory.

I have heard good things about the Walther PPQ as well and I always thought the grip angle was very comfortable on it (never got to shoot one though)

bimmerland
April 2, 2017, 02:45 PM
I guess I'm slightly biased. I've shot sigs, Brownings, glocks, case, k imbers and springfields. I found that the 1911 grip suited me the best. It was very comfortable and I shot better with it but I'm always keeping an open mind regarding my firearm purchases. With small arthritic hands I've kept my options to what feels the best. The only change I made to my 1911's was installing shorter trigger which has help immensely. I don't buy guns to collect but to shoot and shoot as often as I can. My caliber choices are now limited to 9mm and 38 special. I can shoot more without getting tired and my reloading costs stay around 11 cents a round.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

random guy
April 2, 2017, 03:20 PM
My caliber choices are now limited to 9mm and 38 special.

I bet you could handle .22LR just fine.

http://www.ruger.com/products/markIV2245Lite/models.html

Not being a smart *** but for target practice it can't be beat. Not truly high capacity but I don't see the point. Easy to load mags with the proper tool. Good sights, optic-ready. Lightweight and so is the ammo load.

Seriously, any polymer hi-cap CF pistol is going to be considerably heavier than your Kimber Carry when loaded. A rimfire will give you much valuable practice without fatigue. Shoot the Kimber enough to stay familiar with any unique traits but shoot the .22 for the bulk of practice. It is an age old formula.

It seems like the only thing your current lineup lacks is high capacity and I'm at a loss as to the problem this causes for target shooting. Oh yes, you wanted optics ready so a Ruger Mark IV would satisfy that shortcoming.

BigBL87
April 2, 2017, 03:36 PM
My vote would be a CZ P-09.

bimmerland
April 3, 2017, 11:32 AM
I didn't mean this to be so intensive. I was only asking suggestions from members who have different styles of platforms and which they would recommend with the parameters I have stated. I'm quite comfortable in my style of shooting and my mindset regarding external safeties. I think it's time I request closure to this thread and ingest all the options given to me which I do appreciate. Thanks to all who have given me great input for deciding which platform to use.

Bennett
April 3, 2017, 01:52 PM
get an FN P9 you won't have to look any farther!

dgludwig
April 3, 2017, 02:38 PM
I didn't mean this to be so intensive.

This is The Firing Line. It's what we do...:)

mavracer
April 3, 2017, 10:02 PM
XDm 5.25 competition with powder river trigger

Pilot
April 4, 2017, 06:19 AM
A CZ P-09 tricked out by CGW or CZC. If you MUST have polymer.

JDBerg
April 4, 2017, 10:21 AM
The Sig P320 with the thumb safety would be a good choice. IMHO, the HK P30S would be a better choice although you would need to have a gunsmith do the red dot mount. The HK P30LS has a longer slide and sight radius for target shooting which would better justify the mounting of a red-dot sight, but it's slightly outside of your weight limit. But I can tell that the modular grip in my own P30 makes it feel like a much lighter pistol in your shooting hand.

Fishbed77
April 4, 2017, 11:01 AM
Glock out of running due to no manual safety.

Your original post didn't mention a need for a manual safety, just "2 safeties." Glock claims 3 passive safeties. It does fail on your grip angle stipulation.

Another option could be the Walther Q5 Match. It appears to check every item on your list.