PDA

View Full Version : Best deal in an accurate bolt-action .308 or .223?

DougB
February 24, 2001, 04:25 AM
I have a number of semi-auto rifles (ARs, AKs, SKSs, and an FAL). I enjoy them, but I want to get something more accurate, but still economical to shoot with surplus or other low-cost ammunition. Is this possible? I'd be very happy to get consistent 1" groups at 100 yards from a solid bench rest. I'm leaning toward a .308 because they seem popular and would be suitable for deer hunting (which I haven't done for years, but might start again). But I would also consider a .223. I also like stainless steel and plastic stocks. I would prefer a fairly light, compact rifle IF that wouldn't mean sacrificing significant accuracy. The Savage Scout-style seems kind of popular, although I'm not too sold on the forward mounted scope.

So what should I look at? Ruger, Remington, Winchester, Browning, Savage, CZ, or what? I have some old bolt-action "deer rifles" and Military Mausers, but nothing in these calibers. Your recommendations will be appreciated.

Doug

PJR
February 24, 2001, 06:18 AM
Accuracy + Best Deal = Tikka

Adjustable trigger, good barrel, smooth working action and a good price. Some rifles might be cheaper but for the price I've found none better and I've owned Remington, Ruger, CZ, and Browning.

Here's where you wantn to look:

http://www.sako.fi/tikka/fr-rifles.html

ehenz
February 24, 2001, 07:32 AM
I recently bought a Savage 112, I like it. The triger is adjustable enough for my tastes. I would encourage you to do a search on this forum and check out the Savage website.

BTW, I was also into autos for years. I really get a lot more enjoyment out of the bolt action. This just may be because it it is new. With any rifles mentioned mentioned for far, you will not have problems with your groups even if you just use sandbags, and a scope off course.

Good Luck!!

Art Eatman
February 24, 2001, 10:03 AM
For a varmint rifle, I've been very happy with my Ruger 77 Mk II with a Timney trigger, in .223; I regularly get three-shot half-inch groups. It doesn't seem to care what you feed it; I've mixed brands and bullet weights of ammo and gotten two and three three-shot groups inside 1-1/2". I can grab any old ammo, load and shoot and hit a coyote-sized critter quite easily.

I'm still meddling with a 700 ADL in .308; it will always shoot inside 1-1/2", but I'm sure it ("We"?) can do better. It's certainly the better deer cartridge.

These two cartridges are the cheapest for practicing and plinking, for sure.

FWIW, Art

Swamp Yankee
February 24, 2001, 11:22 AM
PJR knows of what he speaks.
I just put a deposit on a Tikka Whitetail Hunter in .308 after looking at and firing many bolt action rifles. The Tikka has silky bolt, absolutely the finest out of the box trigger on the market, and if I'm not mistaken they are all outfitted with match-grade barrels. All this with a gorgeous oil fininshed wood stock for $439.
There are many fine rifles out there and I'm sure you'll get other recommendations but for value its will be tough to top a Tikka.
Take Care

DougB
February 25, 2001, 03:59 AM
Thanks for the recommendations (please continue). I hadn't thought of the Tikka rifles - I'd heard of them, but didn't know anything about them. They look nice. I like the stainless and plastic stocked version - but I wish it were avaialble in the more compact version. Still, I'm certainly going to give these a look. I will also check out the Savage rifles.

Doug

Badger Arms
February 25, 2001, 04:29 AM
Remington 788. Hands down the best value in an accuracy for the buck type of arguement.

PJR
February 25, 2001, 07:08 AM
DougB

The Tikka compact version simply has a shorter barrel. You can have a barrel cut and recrowned for less than the price of an aftermarket trigger for a Savage.

If a compact rifle is your desire, the Remington Model 7 in .223 is a good choice. I owned one for several years and after a little bedding work it shot well and was very handy. I replaced it with a Tikka because it had a detachable mag. I can't leave a loaded rifle around my country place so the detachable mag was the way to go.

My .223 Tikka is my walking around varmint rifle. It shoots five factory into less than an inch and handloads get under .75 inches and .5 from time to time and I am certainly no benchrest shooter.

ED CHAVEZ
February 25, 2001, 06:48 PM
Savage has the best deal on .308's and .223's. Plus they are very accurate. Try a Savage from the 110 series.

M16
February 25, 2001, 07:11 PM
Best value on the market in .308 is the Steyr SSG.

8200 rpm
February 25, 2001, 10:56 PM
That's easy...

Savage 10FP Tactical (a short action, short barreled 110FP) in .308; it has a 20" heavy barrel and synthetic stock. They go for about $400. If you want to make hits in the +400 yard range, don't bother with the .223

Here is a 100 meter group fired from a new, out of box Savage 110FP from snipercentral.com

http://www.imt.net/~mele/images/110fpgrp.jpg

NVCDL
February 26, 2001, 10:06 PM
You might consider the Howa rifles. They seem to be going for atractive prices and can shoot. CDNN and Keislers are selling them for about $270 and up.

AAChang
February 26, 2001, 10:22 PM
Look into the Savage 110 series, I have one in 7mm Remington Magnum and I love it.

_YoYo_
February 26, 2001, 11:26 PM
I would recommend the Savage 12VBSS. It fits your criteria with the weight as an exception. It is available in the most popular .308 caliber. It has a 26" stainless, fluted, floated bull barrel mounted on a laminated "Wundhammer" competition style stock. The action is smooth. The trigger is adjustable down to approximately 3lbs although I would recommend letting a seasoned gunsmith perform those adjustments. It has a safety that can be operated without removing your finger from the trigger. It is also impressively balanced. It is setup for left and right hand shooters. It is tapped for scope mounts, and has studs for sling or bipod.
I purchased this rifle a while back and furnished it with a Harris bipod and a Tasco 10-40x50 Target scope. The fact that this rifle weighs approx 13lbs with scope and rings may be discouraging, but it is worth it. Using Federal Gold Medal Match 168 gr Sierra BTHP ammunition, I have achieved .5" groups at 200yd. This ammunition is available at a realatively low price. $340 for 500 rounds delivered from Hoplite. I enjoy my rifle very much.

_YoYo_
February 26, 2001, 11:28 PM
I forgot to mention the price of the Savage 12VBSS is around $500. And the scope I used is available for around $220.

Happy hunting!

ggm
March 3, 2001, 10:38 PM
I like my savage,but-- I love my Howa. Much smoother bolt,nicer finnish,greatly accurate,better trig.- Just compare, work both actions and you will determine yourself-but do check out the Howa.

Dave R
March 4, 2001, 12:13 AM
NVCDL, those Howa's sound like a great deal. I checked CDNN's website and found no mention of them selling rifles. Only mags, grips, etc. Do they only sell 'em in-state? Or will they ship to my favorite FFL?