PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a pump .22 rifle

twoblink
February 23, 2001, 04:30 PM
I don't know if I should put this in the rifle section or the shotgun section, so I'll probably repeat post in both.. I'm looking for a .22 in a pump action.

Question: Is there such a thing? I seem to remember reading about such things, so I assume they exist..

Question 2: Are any gun makers making something like this right now??

Thanks.
Albert

AUTiger73
February 23, 2001, 05:37 PM
Answer to both questions: YES!

There are at least 2 companies marketing .22 pump rifles at this time. Of the two companies I would only recommend Taurus ... and that is based on my personal experience.

I purchased my first Taurus Model 62 pump 22 rifle last month and more recently bought another one. They are absolutely fantastic !!!

The Taurus Model 62 is a copy of the old Winchester Model 62 and available in both carbine and rifle models, and in both blue steel or stainless steel. These rifles have the exposed hammer spur as did the original but have a manual safety added as a anti-lawsuit device ... and unlike the original Winchester these rifles are designed to feed only the .22 Long Rifle cartridge. Taurus tightened-up the action so that .22 Shorts and .22 Longs will not reliably feed and chamber. NO BIG DEAL! Most people only shoot the .22 Long Rifles anyway and the benefit of a tight action is ACCURACY. These rifles are extremely accurate, sub 1" groups at 25 yards are normal with a wide variety of ammo, and that is with my "old eyes".

Furthermore, both the rifle and carbine are "take-down" models, meaning you can turn a screw and break the rifle down to 2 parts in a matter of seconds. Great for storage, especially with the carbine versions. Perfect for backpacking and the "bug-out" senerio.

My carbines weigh slightly less that 5 pounds. The workmanship is superior, fit-and-finish is very good to excellent.

PRICE? I paid $229.50 plus tax for each of my rifles.

Ever been to a shooting gallery at the County or State Fair. The old Winchester Model 62 were commonly used in these shooting galleries with .22 CB caps or shorts. Many people still call them "gallery rifles".

And that ain't all of it. Unlike the original Winchesters you can get a 22WMR version as well. The Magnum version is called the Taurus Model 72. Got to get one of those also!

One last comment. There is a Henry pump .22 rifle available for less money, BUT their quality is unacceptable to me. Stay with the Taurus Model 62 and you will be happy.

Halfpint
February 23, 2001, 05:54 PM
Well... While I have a bit of `respect' for the Taurus pumps I'd personally say that you should take the time and try and locate a good used Winchester Model 61 pump. It has all of the good features mentioned previously for the model 62 along with the, at least to me, added advantage of *not* having the exposed hammer. (The reason that I call it an advantage is that there isn't anything to hangup when one is pulling it out of a `sheath' in a hurry. [I've got seatcovers in my pickup that have a tubular `sheath' along the front edge that perfectly holds my Model 61 right where I can easily grab it for those quick shots at assorted small varmints I seem to always be running across all the time.]) About the only `problem' you may run across when it comes to finding a good used Model 61 is that most owners, like myself, are apparently `surgically attached' to them! {BSE GRIN!} They are one of the `sweetest' shooting .22s you can find and don't seem to care whether you `feed' them s, l, or lr as long as it's not `bargin basement' / `floor sweapings' type ammo and even then I've had some small success.

Mal H
February 23, 2001, 06:00 PM
twoblink, I also yearn for a .22 pump rifle. I think it's because of all the fond memories at the shooting galleries in the 50's.

Last April I had my hands on a Winchester Model 1890 at a flea market in PA. It was color case hardened and the man was asking $400 for it. I didn't think it was worth that much so I walked on. I thought about it all the way home to Virginia and looked it up in the Blue Book when I got home. Turns out it was worth over $2000 in the condition it was in. Needles to say, my son and I hightailed it back to PA the next day. He had sold it for the $400 near the end of the day I was there. Never again do I go to flea markets without my Blue Book. I'm still looking for an 1890 or a 1906.

9mmepiphany
February 23, 2001, 06:23 PM
one of the nicest pump action .22 rifles i ever handled was the brownings they made in the '70-'80s...looked like a bar with a tube mag, very short stoke too

twoblink
February 23, 2001, 06:46 PM
What's the difference between the rifle and the carbine??

Thanks! I'm excited now...

Albert

Mal H
February 23, 2001, 07:36 PM
If you haven't checked out the Taurus web site yet, here's an article on the Taurus 62: http://www.taurususa.com/bobpump.html

I might just have to change my wants to one of those also.

CD1
February 23, 2001, 09:23 PM
My brother bought a Rossi pump .22 last month. We shot it a few days ago...MAN THAT WAS FUN! We shoot all manner of rifles, shotguns, and pistols, but a pump action .22 is hard to beat for pure fun. The super cool thing about it is that if you hold the trigger down while you cycle the action...It'll just keep on firing. Sounds like an automatic when you get it rockin'. I was told that the Rossi is the same model from the old shooting galleries.

JohnDog
February 23, 2001, 10:05 PM
The first rifle I ever shot was my grandfathers Model 1890 .22 pump rifle. When he was getting on in years he asked me if there was anything of his he wanted. I said his rifle, he smiled and said "I knew you'd ask for that". It is in pretty good shape, and I don't have too look in the Blue Book to figure out it's value, cause it's priceless to me. I take it out of the safe each year and shoot it on his birthday.

BTW - The Model 1890 was designed by John Browning!

twoblink
February 23, 2001, 11:49 PM
Well, I'm hoping someone will explain the difference between the carbine vs. the Rifle to me...

I'm reading "Unintended Consequences" everybody should read it!! Well, they did say the pump .22 was a Winchester Model 62. So I guess the Taurus is on my official buying list!!

Question, is the .22Mag worth it? I mean you buy a .22 because it's fun and CHEAP, I don't know how much the .22Mag's are but I'm sure considerably more than the .22LR's right? Also, should I get one for varminting, or no? I figure the .22LR's probably don't have enough power to stop anything of decent size, like a large gopher or something.

I wish they had a pick of the gun broken down into it's 2 parts, and also taurus seems to assume everybody knows about the gun. I have no clue how it's loaded, (is it like the old tube Marlins where you pull the rod all the way up and slide 10 bullets in, or do you have to load them one at a time???)

I'd love to get one though. I think that might be right on my list below the Ruger 22/45 in 5.5" stainless steel...

dZ
February 24, 2001, 12:59 AM
carbine 16 inch barrel
rifle 20 inch barrel

http://www.remington.com/firearms/rimfire/572.htm

The only pump-action .22 rimfire rifle made in America today. Shoots shorts, longs, and long
rifle cartridges interchangeably from its easy-loading tubular magazine. Centerfire rifle
quality, including a high-gloss Monte Carlo walnut stock with cut checkering, big-game rifle
sights, positive cross-bolt safety, high-luster bluing and receiver grooved for scope mounts.

twoblink
February 24, 2001, 03:13 AM
Now that I know I want one of these guns, what caliber???

.22lr, dirt cheap, I have a 10/22 and plan to buy a 22/45, so it would be great.

.22WMR, more powerful, fun round, not as expensive as a centerfire .223, better range past 100 yards..

Suggestions??

Also, I'm a bit confused. Looking at the Taurus website, the carbine with the shorter barrel has more accuracy and in general more velocity than the longer barrel... ???

I thought the longer barrel is suppose to generate more velocity and increase accuracy.. no?

From the data, does that mean that the .22lr carbine is the best buy, more accurate, more velocity, lighter, and probably easier to maneuver because of the shorter barrel??

Albert

Mal H
February 24, 2001, 11:03 AM
IMO, your last paragraph says it all. I would also choose the carbine model for the reasons you stated.

As for the velocity/barrel length question, yes, in general a longer barrel will produce a higher velocity. But then there's the .22 rimfires. Most, but not all, will get their best velocity out of a 15 to 20 inch barrel depending on the round. It seems they have used up all the powder early in the barrel and the pressure curve is sharply depressed after about that length of barrel. Friction and air pressure take over and the bullet starts slowing down before it leaves the barrel. I proved this to myself a few months ago with a 5.5" Mk II, a 10/22 with a 20" barrel and a Marlin 39 with a 24" barrel. The 24" barrel always yielded slower velocities than the 20". And both of those yielded a higher vel than the handgun.