PDA

View Full Version : 9mm Mak SD ammo

BoogieMan
February 14, 2017, 10:45 AM
I have a PA-63 in 9mm Mak. IMO its plenty for SD with decent ammo. Gun is light, nice size, reliable and accurate. What have you guys used and found fed well in your PA63, Walther PP or Makarov pistols? I dont think the PA63 is rated for +P and not sure its needed. I have had feeding problems with other platforms using the plastic tipped Hornady rounds like Zombie Max.

Doyle
February 14, 2017, 11:05 AM
There is no such thing as +P in 9mm Mac (at least as far as SAAMI is concerned). Any ammo in 9x18 that is labeled as +P is just marketing hype.

BoogieMan
February 14, 2017, 11:14 AM
Doyle- I see a lot of +P offered and claiming higher velocity. Is it fair to say that its not within SAAMI spec?
BB list 1125 versus Hornady 1050fps.
http://defenderoutdoors.com/buffalobore-34a20-9mmmak-plusp-jhp-95gr

Model12Win
February 14, 2017, 11:23 AM
The 9 Mak has been stopping political prisoners and capitalist scum from a shot behind the ear for decades. Just use ball.

Ricklin
February 14, 2017, 11:29 AM
There is no SAMMI spec. for +P 9mm Makarov.
I would also be a little concerned about shooting hot ammo in a PA-63. The Aluminum frame of those pistols does not like abuse.

I agree, the PA-63 carries quite well. Lots of folks put a grip sleeve on them, they will make the web of your hand sore after an extended range session.

The PA-63 used to be among the least expensive pistols on the market. They are still pretty cheap. For years they were the hundred dollar handgun, or less. I paid 89 bucks for mine out of the old shotgun news. Allegedly used by the E. German STASI. and surplused.

I have always liked mine, lightweight, accurate, and mine has a nice polish and blue on the slide. I did have to replace the recoil spring, after about ten years of ownership.

Doyle
February 14, 2017, 12:23 PM
Boogieman, there are ONLY 4 calibers that have SAAMI spec for +P - 9x19, .38spcl, .38 Super, and .45ACP. Any other time you see "+P" with some other caliber it is just marketing hype.

BoogieMan
February 14, 2017, 12:57 PM
Boogieman, there are ONLY 4 calibers that have SAAMI spec for +P - 9x19, .38spcl, .38 Super, and .45ACP. Any other time you see "+P" with some other caliber it is just marketing hype.
Thank you for that bit of info. The term is often thrown around. I never thought to actually check the saami specs.
The 9 Mak has been stopping political prisoners and capitalist scum from a shot behind the ear for decades. Just use ball.
I mostly agree with you. Even the lonely 32acp has been pretty effective. It sits in my desk drawer as I type with plain old ball ammo. My only concern with ball is collateral damage in a SD situation on the street. HP is less likely to ricochet or over penetration if it doesnt strike bone.

disseminator
February 14, 2017, 07:25 PM
Have you tried these: https://www.midwayusa.com/product/990277/hornady-critical-defense-ammunition-9x18mm-9mm-makarov-95-grain-flex-tip-expanding-box-of-25

My Dad shoots them in his Makarov sometimes and they work fine.

I would not use a 9mm Makarov for self defense personally.

BoogieMan
February 14, 2017, 09:58 PM
I will try some of the critical defense. I have had trouble with tipped bullets feeding in other guns and generally stay away from them.

xcc_rider
February 14, 2017, 11:32 PM
There's not too many choices for the 9mm Mak but my P64 feeds the Hornady CD rounds without any issues.

Doyle
February 14, 2017, 11:37 PM
I used to shoot a P-64 which has a similar weight to your PA-63. Don't try to use heavy bullets in it. While the regular Makarov can handle 115gr bullets, the lighter guns will do much better with 95gr stuff.

DubC-Hicks
February 15, 2017, 01:27 AM
http://palmettostatearmory.com/hornady-9x18-mak-95gr-xtp-hornady-91002.html

I carried these when I carried my Makarov. They were always accurate and reliable, and the XTP delivers good performance in all calibers I've seen tests done with. Midway says these have been discontinued, but you could grab some while PSA still has em.

BoogieMan
February 15, 2017, 07:25 AM
Thanks for all the suggestions. Seems like everyone agrees on the XTP bullet. I am ordering a couple boxes of Underwood that uses the XTP bullet.
https://underwoodammo.com/shop/9x18mm-9mm-makarov-p-95-grain-xtp-jacketed-hollow-point/

I have been very happy with their other offering so far.

Doyle
February 15, 2017, 09:53 AM
The absolute best HPs I've ever shot in 9x18 were Silver Bear HPs. Unfortunately, those haven't been imported in many years. I've still got about 4 boxes left that I'm hoarding.

BoogieMan
February 15, 2017, 11:56 AM
The absolute best HPs I've ever shot in 9x18 were Silver Bear HPs. Unfortunately, those haven't been imported in many years. I've still got about 4 boxes left that I'm hoarding.
http://www.sgammo.com/product/silver-bear/50-round-box-9x18-hollow-point-silver-bear-9mm-makarov

I am not comfortable with steel cased ammo for SD. Am I wrong? I do shoot it in my commy guns. SKS and Mak from time to time. Never buy steel or aluminum ammo for anything else.
Why do you think the SB HP ammo was so good? Feeds best, expands best??

Doyle
February 15, 2017, 04:33 PM
Boogieman, I'm pretty sure the old ones I have are brass cased but I'm not positive. Next time I go out to the garage, I'll have to dig one out and run a magnet across it. Yes, those are the one's I'm talking about. If they have started importing them again then that's a good thing. They shot as good or better than the Hornady but at half the price. Great feeding, decent penetration and expansion, low price.

agtman
February 16, 2017, 08:26 AM
9mm Mak SD ammo ...

Tried these?

BB's 115gn hardcast FN slugs @ 1000fps:

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/853538/buffalo-bore-ammunition-9x18mm-9mm-makarov-115-grain-hard-cast-lead-flat-nose-box-of-20

Ouch. :eek:

Doyle
February 16, 2017, 08:50 AM
Those 115gr pills will shoot OK in a full-sized Mak but don't do well at all in the compace 9x18's like the PA-63 and P-64.

agtman
February 16, 2017, 09:32 AM
Those 115gr pills will shoot OK in a full-sized Mak but don't do well at all in the compace 9x18's like the PA-63 and P-64.

Well, I have this old CZ 82 ... and was wondering about how it might shoot these BB HCs.

DMK
February 16, 2017, 10:01 AM
Didn't Silver Bear used to have something like a 115gr HP in 9x18?

Jim Watson
February 16, 2017, 10:47 AM
Yes. I got close to setting up a 1911 for it but it did not stay in the market long.